RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   RT Models – Mark Turner - rip off (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/4982481-rt-models-%E2%80%93-mark-turner-rip-off.html)

Birddog-RCU 11-11-2006 10:32 AM

RT Models – Mark Turner - rip off

I'm posting this in this section because I think it is this group RT Models is involved with the most.

I have been more than patient, probably stupid in letting things go this long but I have to say something in hopes that others do not suffer the same grief that I have with RT Models and Mark Turner.

Since 2002, I have been fed a line of commitments, promises, stories and pleas for help resulting in over $4,000 invested along with the following kits and the accompanying radio gear and engines;

TF Stinson SR9
MR Aerodesign 103” Beaver
Byron AT6
Ziroli 118” B-25
Byron Staggerwing

I got caught up in what I thought was a friendship as well but it turned out to be a betrayal. To date, none of these projects have been finished although they have been paid for. Promises have been made over and over with personal excuses getting in the way at the last minute week after week, month after month and year after year.

When I ask for my planes and money back I get the I’m broke song and dance and go ahead, sue me… you can’t get blood from a turnip (evidently not from a Turner either). This practice of taking money, making commitments and not keeping them as well as using the generosity of others to take advantage of them is not what we want in this hobby.

I’m not telling anyone what to do; I’m just giving you my experience so that others can make an informed decision. I have been lied to and my money and materials stolen and my generosity taken advantage of. I don’t know if I’ll ever get my stuff and money back but maybe I can help some of you from falling into the same RT Models pit.

I have given Mark many chances but just recently he has shown that there is no commitment and no intent to make good on what is due me. Time to pay up Mark.

Yak18 11-11-2006 11:10 AM

RE: RT Models – Mark Turner - rip off

You can't get blood from a turnip true, but you can put a lein on any property he owns. The suit will take a long time and cost you even more money but sometimes it's worth it. I just won a 4 year lawsuit and recovered just slightly more than I paid in attorney fees but at least the bum did not get away with screwing me and it cost him thousands that he wont get back.

I would file the suit and get him served. He can then decide to return your planes or not but he will know that you mean business and if he persists in being an *ss you can proceed to take whatever he holds dear.

Yak

Birddog-RCU 11-11-2006 11:17 AM

I don't know what property he might have Yak but I will probably do just as you suggest. Maybe a vacation to Ocala, FL is finally in order :eek:

LDM 11-11-2006 07:05 PM

Alan good luck , I have filed with the BBB

Birddog-RCU 11-28-2006 09:36 PM

UPDATE:

I'm a information technology professional so I know one or two things about computers. Mark's latest excuse is that the USB port on his computer caused a system board problem and his computer is down. With the computer down Mark cannot send me any pictures, something that has been an excuse time and time again. I have personally spent a lot of money so that Mark can fix supposed computer problems but there is always a new problem just around the corner. I have never seen a person with so many fatal computer problems and I work with computers 7 days a week. It is a convenient excuse so that pictures can't be sent but holds no water after reaching the frequency level. Pictures would show that zero progress has been made so they are not good. No computer... no pictures. Wonderful [:@] I'm sorry but my professional experience tells me that the odds of all these computer problems is slim to none. Also... how can one do business online without a computer?

It would be interesting to hear from other RT Model customers and if they can contact Mark via email or place orders on his web site. PM me if you have any experience with this. Does anyone by the kits RT Models has available online? I'm interested in information and I would be glad to provide a reference as well.

So... the update is nothing has been done, no pictures and no progress to show. I was told my SR9 would be finished this week but here it is this week and nothing. This is beyond a lie now. I call it deception and scamming. Other than that... things are swell. :eek:

Tram 12-02-2006 11:00 AM

Why don't you buy a plane ticket and ride on down and give Mark a visit?

Scar 12-02-2006 11:23 AM

If I'm not mistaken, there have been other Mark Turner / RT models threads, very recently.

Another thought has occurred to me :

Is this Mark Turner the reincarnation (resurfaced persona?) of V. Fusco / Van Flowers?

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Tram 12-02-2006 11:26 AM

Mark Turner has been around for years.. So, I think he is actually Mark Turner..

Birddog-RCU 12-24-2006 09:25 AM

Nothing. Promised pictures again turned into nothing.

starcad 12-24-2006 11:22 AM

Funny you say that Birddog. Being an IT tech myself I've learned that some people should not even touch computers. Not trying to add fire here as I feel your pain with this guy and he sounds like a scammer to me. I'd go for the law suit and rattle his cob.

paul_c 12-25-2006 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

Nothing. Promised pictures again turned into nothing.
It's not your problem whether his computers work or not, whether he's hit hard times, etc, it's his problem. It's amazing how a legal letter can get someone to spring into action, you'll see. Now this will be money well spent.

Birddog-RCU 12-25-2006 08:52 AM

Good idea Paul. I'm pursuing legal actions as well but just like to keep people informed so that they don't make the same mistakes I have made. People have the right to know about business dealings with other before putting their trust in the company.

paul_c 12-25-2006 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Birddog-RCU

Good idea Paul. I'm pursuing legal actions as well but just like to keep people informed so that they don't make the same mistakes I have made. People have the right to know about business dealings with other before putting their trust in the company.
Good luck, Alan. I wish someone had warned me about a company that was doing custom work on my car; I liked the owner, I really did, but my car was held hostage for about one year! (this is a car that was registered, and I was paying insurance on). I used to come by just to see the car, and imagine what it would be like to drive it again. So I had to do the legal letter thing. Anyway, I feel for you. I'm sure at this point you just want the darn planes back.

IWC 12-25-2006 03:08 PM

sometimes, we just make bad busines decisions

Birddog-RCU 12-25-2006 06:22 PM

And I admit to making a bad decision to get involved with RT Models.

Birddog-RCU 01-03-2007 03:24 PM

Just got an email from Mark and here is the general attitude;

- Sorry you didn't get the pictures, sent them to the wrong address... lost now
- Sorry I can't do anything right now... I'm out of town when I should be working on your stuff... oh well... what are friends for if we can't take advantage of them?
- Got a new computer now but can't send you any pictures because... well... I'm not there because I just don't care about your stuff

I don't keep this thread updated so that people feel sorry for me. This thread is all about providing potential customers with my past and current business experiences with RT Models. I'm working my own legal thing but just want to keep people from getting into the same trap I got into. We all have to help each other or these guys will kill the hobby.

IWC 01-04-2007 09:31 AM

That not a satisfactory answer from RT Models.

countrygentleman 01-06-2007 04:23 PM

Funny this thread came at the time it did. I was looking at the RT Models DHC2 Beaver. I like it. Is this thread basically saying don't buy it because he won't send it to me???

Birddog-RCU 01-06-2007 05:09 PM

No, he'll probably send it to you but if you want an arf built I would think a little longer about that. The question is, do you want to support a company that has treated others this way? Your decision. [sm=tired.gif]

countrygentleman 01-06-2007 05:37 PM

What do you mean on the arf to built thing? I don't understand. The price on the Beaver is outrageous! Unfortunatly it's almost the only balsa beaver out there.

Birddog-RCU 01-06-2007 05:40 PM

He offers kits, ARC and ARF. It's up to you what you do but just take my experiences under advisement.

www.mraerodesign.com has a nice Beaver if you want a larger aircraft.

countrygentleman 01-06-2007 07:23 PM

I have never heard of a arc. What is the dif. between that and an arf? Only thing I can think of that arc means is "almost-ready-to-crash". I know that isn't right.

Birddog-RCU 01-06-2007 09:36 PM

Thanks for the good laugh :D. ARC means almost ready to cover.

countrygentleman 01-12-2007 11:09 PM

RT Models cannot even return an e-mail. Over one week later and no reply, I will not buy from them.

Kaltag 01-13-2007 04:09 AM

I have a dash 8 ARF that I have been waiting for over a year. The one good thing I can say is he does answer his phone and he does talk to you. I have got the same reasons for the model taking so long. Starting to worry a bit too. I hope everything works out for you guys and me too. Will keep you posted on my end as well.