RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric General Discussion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/)
-   -   Cleaning Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-general-discussion-106/8534552-cleaning-planes.html)

Witterings 03-02-2009 05:35 AM

Cleaning Planes

What do poeple use to clean their planes with generally is it just water and a cloth ???

Fliprob17 03-02-2009 08:29 AM

RE: Cleaning Planes

I just use Windex (or equal) and a lint/dust free cloth. If there is dust or debris I use the compressed air can for computers to blow that off first to hopefully avoid scratching up the covering when cleaning.

jzrf6c 03-02-2009 09:43 AM

Be carful when cleaning with products that have ammonia in them (some glass cleaners) over time this will cause the covering to become brittle. I use the organic Simple Green - a gallon can last years ! I usually cut it 4 to one and use a spray bottle. Simple Green is a great degreaser !

-pkh- 03-02-2009 10:13 AM

I used to use a generic brand of glass cleaner and some paper towels. Now I use generic brand of baby wipes. Instead of lugging around a couple rolls of paper towels and a spray bottle, I just lug around one or two containers of wipes.

Witterings 03-02-2009 11:59 AM

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated !!!!!

I just suddenly noticed recently how the muck has really started to build up on a couple of them despite the fact I try and avoid the puddles as much as possible although it doesn't always work out that way :D

TedMo 03-02-2009 12:26 PM

I found that since I live in Florida, a very humid area near the coast. I just wipe the excess off that way the oil in fuel prevents the Monocote from rusting??

onewasp 03-02-2009 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: TedMo

I found that since I live in Florida, a very humid area near the coast. I just wipe the excess off that way the oil in fuel prevents the Monocote from rusting??
Your particular brand of logic would seem to indicate that you are a native Floridian ! ;)

CBM Racing 03-02-2009 08:08 PM

I just try to fly'em fast enough to blow everything off, if that don't do it, I nock the dirt off with a particular manuver I call the lawn dart :)

Gulliver 03-03-2009 04:26 PM

I've been using denatured alchohol from Home Depot. Works great and smells better than windex.

starcad 03-03-2009 10:02 PM

I personally like Pledge Wipes as it also waxes the monocote while removing those stubborn electrons around the cowl. I also like Monocote Cleaner as it sprays one and wipes off clean.

Guy

cyclops2 03-04-2009 10:23 AM

I like the priceless, "Patina finish", on my planes. :)