Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

What Radio?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 AM
bigdog101
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Radio?

HI I just bought a UM trojan and I lost range with the xbox like transmitter. Is it the plane or transmitter?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Aaeolien

Default RE: What Radio?

Its most likely the transmitter. The ones that come in the box just don't have great range. If you are looking to upgrade I highly recommend a DX6i. I bought one to go with my T-28 and I love it. Never have any kind of range problems. Well other than range problems with my eyes. LOL
Old 06-28-2011, 05:36 AM
acdii

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

I second the DX6i, I picked one up for $125 when I bought a BNF mSR, I now have 6 planes and 2 Realflight settings on it.  OTOH if you are looking to go UP in scale and performance, the DX8 would be the choice.  I dont see the need for 8 channels yet, but I understand it has some pretty good features to enhance performance.  With mine I fly the mSR, mCX, 120SR, Um Trojan, UM Corsair, and T-34 Mentor. I also have a Blase SR, but dont see any flying of that one anytime soon.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:01 AM
bigdog101

I have a MSR also. Do i need to change the RX if I get the DX6? For $125 did that come with rx and servos?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 AM
bigdog101

I want to get this for next plane so going to need new radio http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10871
Old 06-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Saburo Sakai

Tip: Glacier Girl told me a while back that if you make sure the batteries are charged to the max in the little RTF X-box looking transmitters that their range is much better. I took her advice and have better range. I "third" on the DX6i and it'll handle anything the RTF Horizon Hobby tranny will only better, with better range, including the mSR. As long as your craft is a Spektrumreceiver craft, she should bind just fine.I lose sight of my birds before I lose control of them if I'm not careful, too .
Old 06-30-2011, 07:30 AM
bigdog101

Where can i get a Dx6i for $125 thats new? What is the differance from the dsm and dsmx? I looked in classified section and it seems people want the new version and asked if they have update transmitter?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
acdii

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

You dont need to change anything on the birds. As long as it has a BNF version, it will work with the DX6i. Ipicked mine up from HobbyTown USA, they had a sale going, so not sure if they still do or not. They take the RX out of the box, but you get everything else, including the rechargeable batteries and power adapter. Inow have 2 of them, one came with the T-34 Mentor Ibought a couple weeks back. Ican buddy box the T-34 until Ican take off and land on my own, then sell the second radio.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:54 AM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: bigdog101

Where can i get a Dx6i for $125 thats new? What is the differance from the dsm and dsmx? I looked in classified section and it seems people want the new version and asked if they have update transmitter?
Be aware that DSM is the old Spektrum system and only work with the now obsolete DX6 and AR-6000. DSM2 is what replaced it (DX6i) and is compatible with BNF, DSMX is the new Spektrum system.
This plane comes without radio system so you can use anything you like, with a DX6i(or DX7/DX8)you can use any DSM2 compatible Rx either Spektrum or the clones from HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=10871
http://www.hobbyking.com/UNITEDHOBBI...&ParentCat=190
Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I second the change the batteries point. The batteries that come with these planes, the aa's are garbage. For an upgrade radio, DSM2 is really important that is what you need to have to fly your birds.. Another key bit of need to know info is that you want a Mode 2 radio. Also it doesn't matter if the radio is for helis or planes. the DX radios do both. I skipped the DX6i and bought a DX7. Good luck.

Tim