Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

"Universal" battery adapter

Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Digital Don

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Universal" battery adapter

Here's something I'd like to share with you guys.

If you have an MSR or MCX and any of the ultra-micro planes, you know that batteries with Velcro needed by the planes won't fit the helis.

The other day I received six batteries I had ordered for my Extra 300 UMX. They didn't come with Velcro attached and I didn't have enough in my parts box for all six. Since the batteries came the same day we get to fly in the Resource Center, I needed a quick solution. The result is pictured below.

I took a piece of heat-shrink tubing that fit over the battery and VERY CAREFULLY shrunk it so it was snug but still easily removable. Next I attached a piece of Velcro to one side. On the other side, I attached a pull-tab made from self-adhesive covering trim sheet.

It worked great on the Extra - better than using a battery with Velcro stuck to it directly in fact. I don't have an MSR any more, but I also realized that if I did, I could use the same battery either in it or my planes with this adapter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75373.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1636171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69713.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	1636172  
Old 07-17-2011, 03:50 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE:

Excellent , too late I already stuck velcro to all of mine.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Default RE:

Don, I use the same trick. I can use the same batteries for my planes and my mSR. I also made a sleeve for my mCPX battery.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Digital Don

Default RE: RE:

Great minds think alike!

I had the chance to fly (hover actually) a buddy's mCPX last week. This was a bad move on my part... now I want one too!

In the 'normal' flight mode (which is all I tried) it was similar to flying my 120 SR but with more of a tendency to wander. Not too bad at all though!

Don
Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
acdii

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default RE:

Aww man, wish I thought of that, all my batteries have Velcro stuck to them now, so I cant fly my mSR if I wanted to.  I had stuck some foam and velcro to a 500mah batt from the 120 SR to try on my UM T28, flew like crap, so now I have to take it off.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

You could peel the velcro off[X(] don't ask how I know that is possible

Tim
Old 07-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Digital Don

I've removed Velcro from batteries and found the adhesive they use is strong and very sticky. Try applying some 'Goo Gone' or cigarette lighter fluid to the Velcro strip and wait a minute or two and it will be much easier. Plus those solvents will also remove all traces of the glue from the battery.

Don