Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

E-Flite UMX GEE BEE R2

Old 10-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Saburo Sakai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite UMX GEE BEE R2

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLU4580

Presumably a recent Horizon Hobby technological "breakthrough" has been made, promising greater stability throughout the flight envelope, which I findvery attractive as I have been called....."unstable" evenheard it whispered, "His methods, they've become unsound.".
Until I fly one of these new birds I can only guess: what, a digital gyro? I'm intrigued. There're also a UMX Beast and a VTOL pyramid type craft equipped with the stability enhancing gadgetry.
H.H. is one "happening" creator and producer of good stuff to keep a man sane.
Oh, yeah: this bird is absolutely GORGEOUS, too.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Saburo Sakai

Default RE: E-Flite UMX GEE BEE R2

Look:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20414.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1677308  
Old 10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Saburo Sakai

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLU4580

Presumably a recent Horizon Hobby technological ''breakthrough'' has been made, promising greater stability throughout the flight envelope, which I find very attractive as I have been called.....''unstable'' even heard it whispered, ''His methods, they've become unsound.''.
Until I fly one of these new birds I can only guess: what, a digital gyro? I'm intrigued. There're also a UMX Beast and a VTOL pyramid type craft equipped with the stability enhancing gadgetry.
H.H. is one ''happening'' creator and producer of good stuff to keep a man sane.
Oh, yeah: this bird is absolutely GORGEOUS, too.[img][/img]

No breakthrough... [:-]
this technoligy has been around for a while for rc, they are just to first I know of to offer them in BNF
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Saburo Sakai

Please enlighten then?Rather'd not have to buy one just to take it apart. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
srt10

Please enlighten then? Rather'd not have to buy one just to take it apart. Thank you!
Ill take a look around on the web..
I know they sell 3-axis gyros on ebay for bigger planes
Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Saburo Sakai

Great, srt10! Tell you what: This isprobably my next bird to order (soon) and I know I'll crack it up quickly at high speed and then I'll do a detailed forensic exam to see what's really inside. Bet I beat you to the skinny, the "digital dope" of this (HH calls it "AS3X" technology). Nonetheless a functional gyro-if that's what it is-in a platform that weighs under a couple ounces in total is impressive.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM
srt10

Great, srt10! Tell you what: This is probably my next bird to order (soon) and I know I'll crack it up quickly at high speed and then I'll do a detailed forensic exam to see what's really inside. Bet I beat you to the skinny, the ''digital dope'' of this (HH calls it ''AS3X'' technology). Nonetheless a functional gyro-if that's what it is-in a platform that weighs under a couple ounces in total is impressive.[img][/img]
I may get the UMX Beast version.. I have the first gen and think its a blast!!
also the Sbach..

for the bigger planes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300602704470...84.m1423.l2648
you will see these on the Quadcopters... same technology
Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

It is probably the same system on the mCPX and mSRX
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 AM
srt10

Its probably the same board being used from those helis onto these new planes...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Saburo Sakai

You guys are probably spot-on.The HH video attached tothe web address I gave atthe intro.explains without revealing Company secrets...... I just now broke down and ordered the new Beast with the AS3X digi gyro., as I think she'll be more user-friendly for slow flight stuff, which is all I can handle safely now.I should maybe see if HH is interested in starting up a "Micro FlyerRehabilitation Program" for Micro addicts.Probably not.Counterproductive. I don't want to "quit" Micros, anyway, so it would be an epic fail until I'm "ready" . Never. Gonna. Happen.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:25 AM
srt10

You guys are probably spot-on.[img][/img] The HH video attached to the web address I gave at the intro. explains without revealing Company secrets......[img][/img] I just now broke down and ordered the new Beast with the AS3X digi gyro., as I think she'll be more user-friendly for slow flight stuff, which is all I can handle safely now. I should maybe see if HH is interested in starting up a ''Micro Flyer Rehabilitation Program'' for Micro addicts. Probably not. Counterproductive. I don't want to ''quit'' Micros, anyway, so it would be an epic fail until I'm ''ready'' . Never. Gonna. Happen[img][/img].
yeah no company secrets..
I already have the Micro Beast and want one of the new versions when they come out!! yeah!!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Aerobatx
My Feedback: (1)

I saw this about 3 weeks ago, and placed my order then! I think they're supposed to be out in Dec.

I think its more like video camera stabilization. once its placed in an attitude it will hold that attitude.

I can't wait to get one.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Real Gambler

ORIGINAL: Aerobatx

I saw this about 3 weeks ago, and placed my order then! I think they're supposed to be out in Dec.
The Gee Bee and the Hyper Taxi have been push back to january now. The Beast seem to be still on schedule for early December.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: Real Gambler

ORIGINAL: Aerobatx

The Gee Bee and the Hyper Taxi have been push back to january now. The Beast seem to be still on schedule for early December.

Oh dang, there goes some Christmas presents []
Old 11-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Saburo Sakai

Oh, man, if you've got a kidthat's a flying nut like us expecting one, that really hurts. I'd print up the data sheetfrom Horizon Hobby with the Gee Bee pictures and put that in an envelope under thetree with a freakin' bow on it, with an extra battery or something and then maybe let the kid break curfew for a night or something.Dude!
I'll have flight reports on the new Beast as soon as it arrives, hopefully before Christmas.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:33 AM
RKS1949

I scratch built a "90" size Gee Bee years ago. Now that I've seen this one,I can't wait till HH gets them in. The Big Gee Bee was a hand full to fly (never boring,more like gut wrenching) LOL! Nothing looks like one of these planes in the air! Ron
Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
YoYo-Pete

I want this guy. Watch some YouTube explanations... AS3X is pretty legit.

ORIGINAL: Box Text: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Airplanes/AS3X/

The AS3X System for airplanes is an exclusive electronic and setup enhancement based on the MEMS-sensor-equipped AS3X Stabilization System in Blade ultra micro flybarless helicopters. Artificial Stabilization 3 aXis (AS3X), combined with Horizon Hobby expertise and specific tuning for airplanes offers super-smooth flight performance and full control authority for the kind of RC flight experience you've always wanted.

It's all about control and AS3X gives you more than ever before possible. Before AS3X, stability and agility were typically limited to a narrow control range. Any attempt to gain more stability meant a sacrifice of agility or vice versa. With AS3X, there is no compromise. You get dramatically more control, plus more stability and agility than ever dreamed possible.

An industry-first, specifically tuned AS3X System technology in UMX airplanes is exciting because it helps the pilot focus more on the thrill of flying than work load required to stay in smooth control. No longer will you have to deal intensely with flight complications such as turbulence, torque and tip stalls. All you feel is ultra-smooth control, even outdoors in moderate wind, and exhilarating aircraft agility that feels natural and helps you to quickly build skills as an RC pilot.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:49 PM
tarsier

My guess is they are using gyro's based on MEMS ( Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems), similar to those made by Analog Devices for many years now.

Here is one that is only 8mm x 8mm x 5.2mm, small enough for inclusion in these small flyers.
www.analog.com/en/mems-sensors/mems-gyroscopes/products/index.html

Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Advertised 3 minute flight time with supplied battery. What would be a "shoe in" upgrade for longer flights without adding weight or reguiring mods for a bigger pack? I have tried the Turnigy Nanotech batts and really have not noticed a big difference in flight times. would be nice to gat 6 minute flights. 3 minutes just isn't enough to settle in and enjoy.

SPEEDY
Old 04-16-2012, 04:09 PM
guapoman2000

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ed's E-Flite UMX Gee Bee R2 in action!

First Video showing Ed's E-Flite UMX Gee Bee R2 in action from today's RC flying at Edwards ( a place we all call it affectionately because of the large vast concrete surface).

A few picture first and then, the Video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQf8H-XWhwc[/youtube]
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM
guapoman2000

Ed's 2nd Flight Video showing a very hard landing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fQ59d9VaQg[/youtube]
Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM
guapoman2000

Ed's 2nd Flight Video with Slow Motion Effects to show how hard of a hit it took on the concrete!

Just an amazing little model and designed and built tough!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jorEuIUSmog[/youtube]
Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Saburo Sakai

Hey, sweet video Guapo! Great flying on the sticks,and this bird looks rock-stable in flight. Thanks for posting and keep 'em up in glory!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM
GBLynden

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This sure it a cool little plane! Too bad they don't make it anymore....

http://youtu.be/1azmjPk__Xo