Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Sub Micro (1 cell) ESC Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:48 AM
bobwrc
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub Micro (1 cell) ESC Dilemma

Excluding the HobbyKing "questionable quality" 1 cell sub micro brushless (BL) ESCs; can anyone recommend a decent quality, reliable type BL ESC in that size category?
While I've read the "glowing feedback testimonials" that appear on HobbyKing's website; My experience with their sub micro BL ESC's has been quite different!
It is difficult to believe that HobbyKing doesn't monitor user comments and edit (delete) most of those that are negative.
Over the past several years; I've purchased 3 or more of every sub micro BL ESC that HobbyKing has offered, and there has always been a "dud" or two with every type.
Some did not function at all, and others did not function with a smooth throttle transition. Some came with no operating instructions at all, or even a notification relative to whether that BL ESC was even programable!
Granted; HobbyKing's sub micro BL ESCs are real inexpensive, but hopefully, there is better alternative, even if it is more expensive.
Bob Selman Designs offers Heino Jung's new 4 amp BL ESC, that sells for $49. Has anyone used one, and if so; how does it perform?
(Yeah; I know Bob Selman also sells one of the same type BL ESCs that HobbyKing offers.)
It sure would be nice if a quality ESC manufacturer like Castle or JEDI were to produce a good quality sub micro BL ESC at a price somewhere in between the HobbyKing "buy cheap - buy often" junk, and Heino Jung's top dollar unit.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Saburo Sakai

Default RE: Sub Micro (1 cell) ESC Dilemma

Hey Bob,
Here's the AR6400 series which is great, by Spektrum at Horizon Hobby, ofcourse it's got a receiver included and this one has two long-throw servos included for 70.00.There's the blank receiver and BL ESC also available, and it think it's 50.00.
Here's a brushless, but I think it's a 2s system:http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAR6400LBL
Seems more cost effective to utilize their servos, also, so I like the twin. There's also a Twin BLESC receiver board available, too, and I think it's 60.00.
Here's a twin brushed, too, in 1s that's got the receiver, two servos and the twin ESCs.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...esc-SPMAR6400T

While fairly expensive, I've never had an issue with any AR6400 in regards to either the receiver or the speed control's quality and reliability, which isfirst priority to me.
Good flyin' and Godspeed!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Mendo

Have you tried the trusty xp7a? They support only 1 cell and have generally been very reliable, unlike the xp3a. Also weight of the 7amp esc is still only 3 grams with a bit of room to whittle away a gram if needed.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Saburo Sakai

Hey thanks Mendo! Where can we acquire these ESCs you write of? Note: I could not find a brushlessESC on the receiver boards of Horizon's in 1s, but in the 2s and higher models (Beast, etc). They've plenty of 1s brushed systems of course.