Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Best Method for attaching motor/gearbox and landing gear

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Best Method for attaching motor/gearbox and landing gear

Old 12-31-2003, 08:44 PM
Milliardo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Method for attaching motor/gearbox and landing gear

I am currently building my first indoor plane and I was wondering what is the best method to attach the motor and gearbox to the plane. Currently I'm building a GymSwallow using a GWS IPS-A motor/gearbox. Should the motor be glued on with CA, or should I use hotmelt or small screws? I'm not sure what would be the lightest method.

I'm also wondering on the best method for attaching landing gear to the plane. Would a tiny amount of epoxy be best? The plane can be found at

http://www.tdmsoftware.com/majewski/...f/swallow.html

What are your guys thoughts?
Old 01-01-2004, 03:39 PM
n5704a

Default RE: Best Method for attaching motor/gearbox and landing gear

Millardo

I am building the same plane and used a cedar stick motor mount
ORIGINAL: Milliardo

I am currently building my first indoor plane and I was wondering what is the best method to attach the motor and gearbox to the plane. Currently I'm building a GymSwallow using a GWS IPS-A motor/gearbox. Should the motor be glued on with CA, or should I use hotmelt or small screws? I'm not sure what would be the lightest method.

I'm also wondering on the best method for attaching landing gear to the plane. Would a tiny amount of epoxy be best? The plane can be found at

http://www.tdmsoftware.com/majewski/...f/swallow.html

What are your guys thoughts?
0.2x0.3x2.0" set at -2 deg and epoxied in as the plan shows. The lg is also epoxied in between the 4 triangular retainers.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Milliardo

I couldn't find a ceder stick that was the right size, so I tried using hard balsa, but I don't think its going to work wevy well.... ie. I have already broken the motor off twice working on it and I haven't even flown it yet...... ok so I'm not the most gracefull builder with steady hands.

I was down at Ace Hardware this morning and I found a rectangular brass tube that is the right size and I was wondering if any of you have ever considered using a small brass tube in place of the balsa stick. To attach the motor to the tube I was going to drill a really tiny hold though the mount and then run a small musicwire rod though to prevent the motor from pulling off of the brass tube. Any thoughts on this setup?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:04 AM
BykrDan

I've been flying my Rare Bear for a year with one of these on the front, and the motor just presses onto the stick with enough force to stay put (I'm using a 9xsomething 3-blade prop). The original builder had put a tiny screw in place to hold it on, but I found that to be unnecessary.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Milliardo

Yours must fit tighter than mine did. When I tried the friction fit and throttled the engine up to full power you could watch the motor/gearbox move forward on the stick, so I put the pin in to keep the motor in place and it seems to be working ok.

I must say I'm really excited to try flying this plane. I've already been taxing around my living room.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:30 PM
jgardner

This is heresy, but try hotglue. Either hotglue the balsa stick in place or just hotglue the motor to the fuse. You can carry a hotglue gun with you to replace the stick easily and often. I would rather break a cheap bit of balsa than any other part. Just reheat and replace.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:30 AM
n5704a

jgardner:

I have never thought of hot glue altho the foam people use it. On the Gym Swallow,in case you are not familar with it, the motor is mounted between the two sides of a plylon. If you break the motor "stick" you are going to have fun getting the broken pieces and adhesive out.

I decided to use a hw stick to prevent the grief associated with the above.

George