Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

Old 09-15-2004, 03:59 PM
ashleyhall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

Blimy that things quick!!!! Anyone have any idea when this little thing will come to the UK?

I WANT ONE!
Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
tburtti1

I just recieved the Micro Flyer today. It is awesome, well worth the 40.00 to me. Me and my buddy had a ball flying it. We broke a propeller, but other than that, we had great success.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:18 AM
ashleyhall

Pleaseeeeee, anyone know a source in the UK or Europe?
Old 09-17-2004, 07:41 AM
jbflier

Do they have a couple of different frequencies available?...........
Old 09-18-2004, 02:51 PM
grahamhackett

I picked up one of each freq. 27 and 49. Haven't flown yet weather here in Oregon got uber-crappy over the past couple days. But I did manage to take out my new "preserver", the $20 version of the X-ec Diversion. Flew pretty darn good in light wind. Took some headers into the ground and tried to commit suicide in a tree, but emerged unscathed. The differential thrust is different than my Watt. Lightning, though. Where as the turn mechanism on the lightning activates one motor, the Preserver's mech. cuts power to one motor, necessitating the continuation of throttle through the turn. Basically, that means in English "I gotta use two hands".
Old 09-18-2004, 05:53 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

I see you guys are getting them. The HP site still says "backordered". Where are you getting yours?
Old 09-19-2004, 03:33 PM
grahamhackett

I picked mine up at my local shop in Beaverton, Or.
Old 09-19-2004, 11:55 PM
grahamhackett

If anyone wants to make me an offer, I have a Wattage Micro Flyer on Freq. 27 that I would be willing to part with. I bought two for extra parts, but after flying my 49mhz today, I see that I won't need the other one. The thing is so light, you would have to be pulling some serious stuff to cause any damage! I would be willing to ship it anywhere in the world, so if you guys in the UK would like to talk, reply on the board and I will e-mail possible shipment costs and details.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:04 AM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

I Realy Like Mine.It Is Fast .I May Some Time In The Future Make Bigger Wings To Slow It Down.I Real Fun Flyer.Heck After I Have Crashed It To The Point It Will Not Fly Any More I Will Take The Systems And Put Them In A Home Built.
I Had Hoped It Would Fly In A Small Area But A Gym Is About As Small An Aera As I Can See It Flying In.
My Hobby Shop Still Has 3 More.They Are Probley Gone By Now.A Ton Of Fun For $40.00.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:42 PM
Jeffery

Hey I tried cutting the tail flaps so I could bend them. I found that I couldnt really take out the left turn from the motor tork. I found it flys best with tail fins flat like they come, it would not glide well with power off( if I had either flap bent). However by bending both tail flaps up it would fly a lot slower with good control just doesnt glide as well from high altitude when motor is off. My plane had developed a problem in the last few flights. It seems to start glitching at about 30 feet away, motor cutting in and out. I got new batteries even though the light was still on and this did not help. It runs fine up close so I know it is not the motor, I just lost some range. At first I could go up really high with no glitches. I thought it was the location but not now after flying in several places. Maybe my battery in the plane has lost power, I am new with this kind of battery so does anyone know if this battery should be left charged fully or partial charged until I use it again? Thanks for the help
Jeff
Old 09-20-2004, 09:09 PM
crites

Under power my micro Flyer turns HARD left, climbs steep and wants to stall! The only way I can possibly get it to fly straight is to give it constant right rudder and PWM the motor about 50% on and 50% off. I can get a right turn with the motor turned off. Anyone else have similar flight characteristics? Not a lot of adjustments other to be made other than the elevator.
[]
Old 09-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bend the elevator down slightly until you get a gradual climb.

To improve the turning, slightly twist the vertical stabilizer in the opposite direction.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:49 PM
crites

Greg,
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up cutting the front bottom of the stabilizer with an exacto knife, moving it slightly, and applying a little CA glue. Other than the occasional glitch when flying everything is working just fine.
Thanks again,
-TAC

p.s. don't cut near the back of the stabilizer or you'll cut the wires to the actuator!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Greg Covey

I flew the Micro Flyer again today in some wind and found the same pitch up problem that you noticed. Although the motor could have handled the conditions, the steep climbing made it stall out fast. I'll post a second video tomorrow.

We didn't see this before in little to no wind conditions. You may need to adjust the elevator depending upon the wind conditions you intend to fly in. I'm sure that air density will also affect the flying characteristics. Last time, we had much more humid air than today.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Rob Kelly

They even fly great here at 5,000' Should be a real blast at sea level!

Rob Kelly
Brighton CO.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 PM
crites

I lost the antenna wire off the back of my Micro Flyer, can anyone tell me how long the wire needs to be from the back of the fuselage?
Thanks,
Tom[]
Old 09-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Jeffery

Anyone know how to store this type of battery? Hobby People tech told me that if you leave it run down it would ruin the battery. The motor went out in flight on one of my planes recently, I hope these planes hold up for a while because I can fly them in so many small places I never could fly at before. Hard to find a large field in all these pine trees in Texas, but the trees block a lot of wind out of the small openings I can find like the front and back yard. They said they would replace my plane so I sent it in. I dont seem to have the climb out problem, maybe because I fly it late in the evenings with hardly any wind at all. It climbs out about the 10 degrees they talk about in the instructions. Mine kinda dives in fast with no power but it is so light it doesnt hurt the plane to hit the grass. I recomend a grass field to soften the landings. I dont seem to get the 150 feet range out of mine, its more like 80 feet and then I get motor cut in and out. I still love these planes though despite the problems.
Jeff
Old 09-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Greg Covey

Jeff,

Store the battery with at least 3v charge in it. A fully charged Lithium cell is 4.2v.

The range of the plane varies greatly with interference. In a rural area, I seem to get it far away without issue. Here at work, the range is about 40' in a high RFI area.

Tom,

Not sure about the wire length. I'll measure it soon.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:19 PM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

im not to pleased with mine so far. when i got it home and charged it up i noticed that the actuator wasnt working. so i took it back and got a new one. i took it to a small field with NO wind and found it to be almost uncontrollable. at first it pitched way up and stalled like everyone was saying so i adjusted the elevator control and tried again. it didnt stall this time but the directional control was horrid. sometimes it would take 2-3 seconds before it would start turning if it turned at all. half of the time it over banks and rolls upside down into the ground. i dont know why they have a landing gear on it because all chances of a wheel landing are gone. i cant think of a good place to fly the thing. its way to fast for indoor unless you have a stadium and any little wind makes it less controllable. maybe i got a bad one but i find it very frustrating to fly and im not comparing it to a 3D plane. I fly micro r/c, electric, glow, gas, scale, ext. it’s not the "quick have fun in the backyard" flyer I was hoping for.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:33 PM
yurky22

Greg,

A second video on this plane like you mentioned would be great!
(The first one doesn't work)

Thanks,

-Eric
Old 09-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Jeffery

Crites, My antenna measures 19 inches comming out of plane. Thanks Greg for the battery info. My planes fly ok when I learned to fly it with the power button and the right button. The motor tork causes a left turn so I tap right in it to fly straight but I can fly a right circle by holding right taps a little longer. If I just let the plane go under power it climbs and circles to the left and if I let go of power button it just glides down and lands. Both of mine fly the same maybe I got the good ones lol. I just hope a plane this size come out that has more control. I would love to be doing loops and rolls or inverted with a plane this size. I have a gym where I work so I can fly in there on rainy days. I tried it already and I can fly figure eights with no problem, I learned to tap the power on and off till I get low then turn off power for a softer landing. You dont want to just kill the power up high or you will hit hard. Takes offs were possible but tricky on the smooth floor, the plane wanted to spin around so I had to hold some right in it to get up speed.
Jeff
Old 09-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Greg Covey

Jeff,

That's is a good description. It is how I have been flying mine as well. Sometimes I use the left turn button if a breeze pushes it or I want a tigher turn.

Eric,

The video was too poor due to the windy conditions. The plane (and camera guy) was all over the place. We'll try it again soon.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:21 PM
Jeffery

Hey that measurment of the antenna was for 27mhz. I am not sure if the 49mhz is the same, I know I have read where the two channels require different length antenna. I think the 27mhz has a longer one than 49mhz. You might want to get a measurment from someone with a 49 channel if you are on that one. Both of my planes are on 27.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:03 PM
aeropete

Can somebody please tell me how much just the electronics weigh, including the atuator, radio, battery, motor and prop? I jut bought one 5 min. ago too, it will arrive in a week. For anyone interested, call (503) 644-4535, they have only 5 in stock at this point

the site is http://www.tammieshobbies.com/

It is 40 buck plus 7 dollars shipping, get extra battery for ten dollars and spare props for 5 dollars (4 props) total of 62 dollars.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:47 PM
grahamhackett

Yeah, Tammie's is great, they're my LHS. Took my micro out today for my first real flight. The left pull was greatly reduced when I took the gear off. Flew for at least 10 minutes. No wind, beautiful day. My girlfriend even took it for several flights, she picked it up real quick. She has only flown my Preserver before. I love these little planes. What a great hobby. I can't wait 'til these things have 2 inch wingspans and you can ROG from your coffee table!(I guess that would be ROCT). Wattage and Megatech have to stay on the ball and continue to make these RTF's lighter and smaller. So what do you guys think, bit charg size planes in 5 years? 10? I don't care if I'm 94 and wearin' a diaper, I'm gonna be the first in town to get one!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.