Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

Old 09-25-2004, 09:01 AM
hobbydawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wattage Micro Flyer RTF

i just ordered mine yesterday i have know idea when im going to get it
Old 09-28-2004, 12:51 AM
EVOL
My Feedback: (2)

hey guys be very careful..............i know 3 people who got these including myself and if you crash it to hard (like on pavement) the actuator wires will break inside the plane. all 3 of us had the same problem where it crashed and then the rudder wouldnt work. i cut mine apart with a new x-acto blade and re-soldered the actuator wires to the receiver with more slack on the wire. then i re-glued the plane back together with GWS parkflier glue and now it works again. mine took quite a pounding before this happened but it was not the worst crash i had with it. if anyone has this happen and needs instructions on how to fix it e-mail me and i will send instructions.

[email protected]
Old 09-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Jeffery

Thanks for the warning, I already decided I only fly mine on grass. The gym floor is really hard and its hard to land this plane smoothly without varible speed control. The grass really makes the impact soft. I have went in under power nose first and it only slightly bent the landing gear. It just kinda bounces up without damage to the body or the prop. Today I tried to go as high a possible because it was a calm day here and I was amazed that I almost went out of sight with this plane. It really floated well up high with the power off. Comming down was a sight when I held full turn in it and it went into a spiral dive, it reacted about the same with left or right rudder on the way down. I pulled out about 15 feet high and was kinda glad to get it back close because there are trees all around. That was the most fun I have had with this plane so far. I have a small field close to work so I can fly on my lunch hour with this plane. Does anyone know if the atomic z planes are any good? It doesnt say what kind of battery they have or the weight of the plane.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:42 PM
grahamhackett

Hey guys,
I think the gear to the prop broke on mine yesterday. I was flying fine, then the prop stopped and now it makes a really high pitch noise when I give it power. Should I send it to Wattage or or take it back to the LHS? The actuator still works. I would do it myself but it's so small I fear I would irreversibly damage it.
Thanks,
Graham
Old 09-30-2004, 01:45 PM
EVOL

Graham,

what most likely happened is the gear reduction came loose on the motor. all you have to do is push the front back onto the gear. i noticed it can happen pretty easy when i took mine apart. where the motor unit is glued into the fuselage you will notice the plate that fits over the gearbox (you might have to peel the glue off of this part). push the plate back in tight to the fuselage and secure it with CA glue or tape or anything that will hold it on.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:28 PM
Jeffery

I noticed they sell the motor and gearbox, but how do you replace it with the old one glued in and I am sure the wires are conected to the circuit board. Does anyone have a picture of one of these planes taken apart? I would like to see the insides and see what its made of, I know there cant be much in there. As I said the motor went out on one of my planes and I sent it in because they will replace it when they get more. My other one has started sounding different though it flys fine. Sounds kinda like a vibration but I have not figured out what it is, I hope these planes dont have a short life because I have enjoyed mine.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:34 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

My local hobby shop has a bunch of the micro flyers instock, when I go back next wekek iM thinking of getting one.

Next door to us their is a vacant lot that is 150' by 90' would this be big enough to fly it in? Ive flown my hyperwing in that lot but you really cant do too much because their is trees in all the neighbors yards, wouldnt want it to get stuck in a tree.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Jeffery

I flew mine in a gym but I dont like the hard floor and it was a little small. The yard I fly it in is maybe 50 by 80 and it works fine. I know you dont need the 300 by 300 they recomend, I fly my aerobird xtreme in a smaller place than that! It depends on the trees around the area. The back yard I fly in has tall trees on every side but one, on the one side there are just low shrubs so I fly over them and over the house and then land in the back yard. This plane flys best late in the evening when it is calm but I have flown it in winds over 5 miles an hour though it was a little wild. I think the plane does well to be so light. I do wish it was more stable when gliding, if you dont know what I mean you will find out lol. Hey where is that shop because I wont another one and cant find them?? Do they do mail order?
Old 10-02-2004, 12:43 AM
jakjr

Im not shure where in texas you live but you might be in luck as the shop is in victoria TX.

As far as I know he doesnt do mail orders but if you call and ask he might be willing to.

I am still trying to decide whether I want the micro flyer or not. Ive been looking at the e-flight tributes and if he has one of them in stock I might end up getting it instead.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:28 PM
EVOL

i had mine taken apart and i forgot to take a picture your right......there is not much to these things. the motor wires are soldered directly onto the receiver along with the antena, battery terminal, and actuator wires. if you take it apart (cut the glue along the seam with an x-acto) you will see that repairs can be made fairly easy. if your having problems with the rudder not working like i did, then all you have to do is re-solder the acuator wires to the receiver (be sure to check polarity). have some 5 min epoxy or GWS glue handy to put it back together.

p.s. - take the gear off if there is a little wind. i noticed a big improvement in flight preformance.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't tried flying mine yet with the gear off...just figuring it would not be balanced right. I'll give it a try next time.

I did, however, get some more video of my Micro Flyer on Friday. I'll post it soon.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Jeffery

Thanks for the info but I did find some of the planes for sale not far from where I live so I ordered another one. I knew about the shop but just hadnt contacted them because so many shops dont have this plane. It is about 2 hours away so I get things the next day if I order normal ups. I still like this plane, I flew it today and went up really high several times. I am getting better control and have learned to tap the power on and off so I can fly without climbing. You have to tap it fast or the plane tries to roll when you let off the power. It did well and I know the wind was at least 5 mph out in the large school yard I was in. I still say this is a grass only plane. If you fly it on a hard surface you will get some damage to landing gear, body and maybe the prop. Oh and like Evol said the actuator wires broke on his. I just never have damage from grass surfaces and I occasionally go in under power when im flying low and lose it, usuall from letting off power too long and it rolls on its side. These planes are hard to find and I notice hobby people moved the date up again to November. Didnt see any on ebay either. I need at least two because we have hawks around here![X(]
Old 10-03-2004, 10:15 AM
andyjbj

Hello friends...someone asked about the Atomic Z-plane, I bought one and it would not fly, but it is a good and cheap ($30) system for conversion - single 4.2v NiMH cell, pretty powerful motor...here's a link to my thread about it on SFA http://tinyurl.com/6bsjs the resulting airplane flies pretty well.

I need some help pertaining to this Micro Flyer. I'm thinking about buying a couple, converting one to a glider, and aerotowing it with the other. Anyone have any ideas about how to go about this? Is it even within the realm of possiblity? Maybe using a converted Z-plane (which is probably more powerful) as the tug instead? I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
Andy
Old 10-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Greg Covey

Here is my second video of the Wattage Micro Flyer from Friday and the first again as a placeholder.

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/RCU2/MicroFlyer1.wmv]Micro Flyer video 1[/link] (3.5meg)

[link=http://www.gregcovey.com/RCU2/MicroFlyer2.wmv]Micro Flyer video 2[/link] (3.5meg)
Old 10-03-2004, 01:38 PM
grahamhackett

I still can't get the video.[]
Old 10-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Genesisyy

I can't get the video either. Is it posted somewhere on your site Greg? I looked under your Micro Flight page and couldn't find it.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Greg Covey

Try a right mouse click on the link and select "Save Target As...".

This will attempt to save the video to your local hard drive. My guess is that it is simply a poor link issue. I just tried it and it worked fine. These videos will be published on the RCU server when my review is posted.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:04 AM
chall

My plane is like one other person's who posted. It turns hard left and will barely go straight with "right rudder" depressed. Plus the motor cuts in and out when I'm pressing other buttons. I've tried fussing with the tail surfaces, but they had no effect. It glides perfectly straight, so I'm guessing the motor is installed wrong and needs to be angled to the right.

And this stuff about the box being useful packaging is just baloney. Once you stick the (useless) gear on it you can't get it back in the box. That initial poster who began his review before he even flew the thing ought to be ashamed of himself.

I'm pretty disappointed with this thing. It's a shame because the design seems pretty good, and when it's not glitching the battery and electronics seem adequate.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:57 AM
crites

I cut the base of the rudder, right next the fuse, moved it a little and glued it back with CA. Since the rudder isn't very flexible this worked better than trying to twist the rudder to get it to fly straight. I only cut it back about half the length of the rudder. DON'T CUT THE BACK OF THE RUDDER OR YOU WILL CUT THE WIRES TO THE ACTUATOR! After this mod I could get the Flyer to turn left and right! The stalling was taken care of by bending the elevator as required. Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:20 PM
andyjbj

Well, judging by free-flight-based intuition, a lot of the flight problems seem to be symptoms of a short tail moment. Looking at the airplane, it does have a pretty short tail. If the lengths of the wires allow the tail surfaces to be placed a little further back, that should help. The trouble with RTFs is that often these lengths are predetermined, wires and all. It sounds in general like if wingspan and tail moment were enlarged on this airplane it might do better...the point of the manufacturer was, I guess, was to pack everything as small as possible
Old 10-04-2004, 07:00 PM
grahamhackett

I tried to "save target as" and I still can't get it, anyone else have the same problem?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Genesisyy

Same here. No video.[&o]
Old 10-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Greg Covey

chall,

You obviously need help. If you can't figure out how to remove the gear to store it back in the box you'll likely never get it to fly. For a $40 investment, you shouldn't be so dissapointed. The inexpensive radio system needs an area free of RFI to fly glitch-free. This is typically found in a rural area or club flying field. I would return it and just say "it doesn't fly".

I'll see if RCU can host the videos.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:30 PM
jakjr

I have no problems downloading the videos.

Looks like that thing flys pretty fast. I was going to go the LHS to get one today but it was so windy I figured ill just wait till I go pick up my crystal on thursday as I wouldnt have been able to do anything with it today, well except crash it.

I wish they wouldcome out with a more manuevarable one, or at least one with either variable throttle or an elevator.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Jeffery

One of my planes has more right and down thrust in it than my other plane, and it flies almost straight with a slight left turn. I am thinking of trying to add more right thrust to my other one to stop the left tork. Any flap adjustment is just going to put the plane out of trim when the power is off and also cause drag which affects glide path in a bad way. I still like the plane because I can fly in a small area. Hope mine keep working.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.