Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

good living room flyer setup

Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good living room flyer setup

i was looking in the april 04 issue of fly rc and i saw an indoor flyer in last page and i was thinking how much fun it would be to be able fly around my living room with a rc plane, i already gat a radio, a micro reciever, sub micro servos and thats about all i got, will i need to get smaller lighter stuff like the rffs 100, in the magazine he used a zip zap motor and i got that. i was planning on getting some lithium 150mah .
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 PM
sprintdawg007

Default RE: good living room flyer setup

I saw something like that in a later issue. It looks like a lot of fun for not a lot of dough...and you can fly in your house! very cool.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Arznek

Fly RC October 2004 Issue 11 has the "Little Bit Slow" plans mid way through the mag. They need to be scaled up to be usable.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Deltageek2

Hey, Skater!

For really slow flight the RFFS-100 is incredible. Every additional gram is a 16 lb bowling ball in the 'pilot's' pocket at this regime of flight. The lighter it is- the less air it needs to fly thru and push down to support the weight.

Bob Selman Designs has some razor thin bluefoam wirecut wings with a sweet undercambered airfoil that I used on my 1 oz balsa Skeeter as a wing swapout on my first RFFS-100 plane- a $12 kit from Dynamics Unlimited. A carbon keel will save you from torn out wires on the tail surface mounted actuators

I made a radical four section polyhedral wing to float this puppy and got a walking speed slowpoke. It flies at half the Skeeters cruise with the foam 'sailplane' wings once I rounded the tips and got it tuned.

The $20 Pitts Special was a real challenge to build and fly and taught me how NOT to mount the 2 actuators relative to one another! It works better their way...

The magnetic actuators are not easy to work with at first- if ever- but they work well if you follow the instructions, and they fly just fine. Delicate to handle in construction- but several times lighter than a motor servo- yet only have 1/100th of their torque- and they work!

I have a range of 135ma to 250 ma lipos I use for the KP-00 geared motor and get flights over 15 mins easily. Dozens of landings and takeoffs on a charge with plenty of cruise left, level at half power. You'll soon need lipos in your transmitter to keep up.

Streetlight flying in the calm of night in your own little pool of light is way fun.

Once you have the RFFS-100 the rest is cheap and so is experimenting with odd designs. With single lipo cell radio systems available now with total airborne pack of one oz and miniscule conventional servos- its a real good start also, its just a matter of degree. Whichever way you go if you have nearly as much fun with micro as I have you'll be with it for a long time too.

Heres a pic of a living room flyer. Nyblimp.com. Plane is Guided Mite w RFFS-100. Micro rocks. Now where did I see that micro rc ornithopter....?

Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30931.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	171687  
Old 11-15-2004, 01:51 PM
chronister

Ornithopter Zone's Freebird ornithopter kit can be converted to micro RC. www.ornithopter.org/store/freebird.info.html