Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Indoor Aerobatics

Old 09-15-2004, 10:05 AM
ggordon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indoor Aerobatics

Hi,
Are there any electric planes that can be used to fly indoors that are aerobatic?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 09-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Deltageek2

Default RE: Indoor Aerobatics

There are a few to choose from, GG. I have been flying micro for a while now- but not indoors yet! I built the $12 Skeeter kit for my first 1 ounce micro with the RFFS-100- and wore out (beat up) 3 balsa airframes putting hrs of great flying on them- and endless variations. The Skeeter has more than enough power to loop from level flight yet is easily flown at indoor speeds and I've looped it many times and turned it within a span, Immelmans and all, but its a rudder/dihedral airplane for rightside up flight for the most part.

That's the quandry- for aerobatics you need a clean design to retain its energy-a symetrical foil perhaps and an abundance of power- but that tends to go fast and be heavier- a problem indoors. The slowest seem to be single surface undercambered foils- which are not comfortable upside down and have very low wingloadings and airspeeds. We're in the rubberband powered realm of flight. Go figure.

An IFO is very aerobatic in small spaces if kept light. Several miniature ZAGI style wings are super light and are slow enough to fly indoors yet still have a wild streak like any good flying wing. The TINY seems to make it up as it goes along, easily going into and out of a controllable mushy stalled condition as it hypermaneuvers at super slow speeds.

Right now I wouldn't trade my Super Skeeter for anything. It flies as well as anything else I've ever had and the tiny airspace required means my backyard is Big Sky Country.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93008.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	173943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35557.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	173944  
Old 09-17-2004, 09:00 AM
Baron Johnson

Default RE: Indoor Aerobatics

Well by 'indoor' do you mean an empty gym or your living room?