Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

W

Old 11-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W

I am just wondering what the cheapest 3-channel RTF is? would it be cheaper to buy and convert a free flight model into rc? i know there is 2 channel rtf's but i want one with 3 channels if possible.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: W

As soon as you see the word "free flight", the cost of the plane comes tumbling down but you still need to buy the R/C gear at least once.

Today, there are many good 3-channel RTF packages to start out with that include flight pack and charger. If you trash the plane, you can typically buy only the piece you need to repair it very cost effectively. If you trash the whole plane and the electronics manage to survive, then you can buy a free-flight plane and have fun converting it.

If you can fly at all, get a FlyZone Ventura or ParkZone Slo-V because these outfits have re-usable electronics. There are many other selections as well.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2004, 07:04 PM
Love2FlyMN

i am experienced in flight and i just want something to mess around with. maybe even something indoor.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ParkZone Slo-V can easily be flown indoors in a double-size basketball court.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Poorkid,

RTFs for indoor are pretty limited, but if you are willing to build, your choices open way up.

The vast majority of micro R/C, indoor or out, is done with two or three channels, mostly be cause the RFFS and JMP radios (both under 3 grams) have two control channels plus throttle. The JMP can accept an add-on board to give the third control channel. Both of these radios come with a built in speed control. The RFFS uses actuators, and the JMP comes in actuator or servo versions. First picture below shows an RFFS installation with a couple of actuators. This is in a $10 'Spicy Wings' kids FF electric model. Giutted of the heavy stock gear, and converted to R/C, it weighs LESS than stock - by 3 grams or 10% of its original weight. Its a little speedy for indoors, but is right on the money for indoor pylon racing...

Stefan Gasparin's 'Penta' receiver has, as its mname implies, 5 channels, cost $55, but requires an external ESC and some soldering skills, but it is a fine receiver, weighs 2.4 grams, is narrow band and can give you rudder, elevator, ailerons, flaps and throttle. This radio uses servos. I have a couple of these, and one is going into a Dave Diels stick-and-tissue 1930's Curtiss A-12 Shrike scale model dive bomber at 27" WS. Yes, it will be full-house and have operating dive brakes! All the radio gear will weigh just a touch over 10 grams, or about 1/3 ounce.

Suitable servos for the micro systems are the Cirrus Micro Joule servos which weigh 2.85 grams with connectors and wires, or the Falcon servos (at $56 a pop) weigh 1.7 grams with wiring and connectors.

A complete system that is fully integrated is the Cirrus MJ flight pack. It comes with RX, 2, servos, your choice of single cell or multi-cell LiPoly ESC. The flight pack weighs under 10 grams and costs $120 on sale or $150 full price (sign up for the Hobby People mailers for insider sales notifications). There's a picture below of a MJ system in a 14" flying wing - flies indoors or out... (I have made it a neater looking installation after the photo was taken)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45521.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	199463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12295.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	199464