Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Hobbico "Classic Bipe" w/ Cirrus MJ gear - Build and Chat thread

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Hobbico "Classic Bipe" w/ Cirrus MJ gear - Build and Chat thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:18 PM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico "Classic Bipe" w/ Cirrus MJ gear - Build and Chat thread

Well after seeing Greg Covey's plane, I was inspired to take it a step further. I'm trying full four channel control. I'm currently sitting at an AUW of 68g. Motor and battery are from the Wattage Micro flyer. I am twice the weight of it, but also have 4 times the wing area, so I should be OK.
I started by weighing and then gutting the plane... At my LHS as the owner wanted in on the carnage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22291.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	215773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11285.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	215774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10584.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	215775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk21084.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	215776  
Old 01-15-2005, 11:23 PM
WarpdSpazm

Default RE: Hobbico "Classic Bipe" w/ Cirrus MJ gear - Build and Chat thread

First thing I chose to do was tackle the ailerons. The shop has micro aileron kits for $1.25 from dubro. The style you find in a typical trainer wing. Light and perfect for this application... Just be careful when pushing the wire into the foam aileron. As you can see, I missed the first try.

Name:	Hf99409.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	215783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26709.jpg
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	215784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70349.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	215785  
Old 01-15-2005, 11:28 PM
WarpdSpazm

The next thing I did, after staring at the model for an hour was to cut and mount the rudder, and elevators with push rods. Again I had mirco sized plastic horns from dubro $1.00 a pair. Being this is my first indoor micro and only a test bed for my micro Pitts build, I just eyeballed the 45* cuts on the hinge surfaces.

Name:	Ec87226.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	215788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80212.jpg
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	215789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44540.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	215790  
Old 01-15-2005, 11:33 PM
WarpdSpazm

With the Epanage taped on, I am now up to servo placement. As you can see, I moved the ailerons servo to direct connection with the control rods. The set came with linkage to put collars on the wing rod and connect another set from that to the servo; again just like a trainer. However, I saw this method on another thread and in the interest of weight and KISS, I tried this. It also gives me a neutral place for the RX to go since you get like .00003 inches of wire on the servo leads.

Name:	Ur52325.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	215796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72562.jpg
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	215797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93323.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	215798  
Old 01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
WarpdSpazm

So now I'm back to the bench. I plan to fly this puppy tomorrow so I have lots of work to do still. If anyone has any advice, please feel free to share. I'm really winging this one... No pun intended.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:18 AM
WarpdSpazm

Next piece was to wire in the battery and switch/charging jack.. Yup that's right charging jack. I don't want to keep pulling the battery out so I wired in a tiny switch and futaba J for charging... There was a hole in the bottom of the fuse from the old switch, so I figured why not use it... and it doesn't add much weight.

Name:	Ge96345.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	215816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83940.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	215817  
Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray,

Looks great!

Thanks for the photos and good luck on your maiden voyage!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:03 PM
WarpdSpazm

Well I got to try and fly on Sunday. Having no crystal for the RX I had to wait until that morning to run on my LHS owner's TX and freq. The ailerons proved to be rather useless on bottom wing only. Rudder was a bit too much. I snapped her in on the nose and it popped the gearbox open and the spring went away. So she was grounded for the day. I'm debating to try adding ailerons to the top wing. I think I needed to make the ailerons Bigger that the cutouts on the foam and the Rudder smaller. for the brief flight I got, I think it has a chance... Just need to make some changes... I really am enjoying indoor/mirco... I just wish we had more than 8 sessions a season here.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Cptn. Krunch

Hello,
I have a version of this plane and I made it rudder/elev. Mine is a Lee Staggerwing, red and silver. The Beech flew great after I got the PoB/CofG right. My set up was a DD 12mm IPS style motor and the first thing I learned was to make it nose heavy. I stuffed a 700 lipo in the nose behind the motor and just barely made the PoB. Later, I changed to a J-250 motor with the stock prop. A little fast for indoor but still manageable.

Now, try converting the rest of the Hobbico fleet...they are great! Here are a couple of mine. All around 5 oz. auw.
Cheers,
Foamio

Name:	Bz76972.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	313605   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42705.jpg
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	313606  
Old 08-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Nitrocharged

My LEE Mustang consists of an rcmart 4 ch mini Rx, 2 JR micro servos and a lipo ESC. I tore out the old 2.5V motor and replaced it with an EPD50 and trimmed/modded and glued the prop to the shaft. I used a 450mah 2 cell lipo, keeping the original switch setup for charging in there so I could use it for recharging the lipo and just stuck everything in using bouble sided tape.
I didnt try to save weight. I wasnt fussy about balancing it before flying. It was rough to say the least.
I maidened it and it flew without problems. It was tail heavy, so I added some lead (6g) and it flies fine now. I have been flying it a couple of times a day now and for a hack it is really impressing me because it was so quick and easy to convert and fly. Naturally, talk of making another now with lighter batteries and a brushless have already started with my flying buddies. Once used to flying it I will trim it out for slow flight and try it at my next indoor meet. This one is a bit of a bullet and I fly around at half throttle with ease!

Here are some inflight images:

Since taking these fotos I have mounted a 7gram BL motor to it and replaced the 450 battery with a 340 kokam. I had to add 10g extra weight to get the nose down again and it goes even faster now! I had to sticky tape 2mm CF rods to the underneath of the wings to stop them folding up. I learned this after they both snapped doing a tight turn full speed.

I have purchased another one and will be making this one aileron control

I have also purchased a zero and will do the same to that. These make great conversions and I am sure when Cox release their line of little fighters they will do well too!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:18 AM
P51ACE

im workin on this little bipe from harbor freight its a 15'' top ws and a 14'' bottom with a carbon spar in the bottom wing elevator and rudder until i can get more 5 gram servos this weekend im gonna have it ready for a local electric fly-in this weekend im only 17 btw lol
Old 09-22-2005, 09:28 AM
P51ACE

heres a pic i did the elevator counter balanced for good aerobatics hopefully
Old 09-22-2005, 09:29 AM
P51ACE

sorry no pics cant upload