Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

CD-ROM motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 12:31 PM
discoboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD-ROM motor questions

I've been having a play (tearing apart) some CD-ROM and fan motors with the intention of re-winding them for use in an indoor flyer. One of the fan motors I've got has 4 stators, I was just wondering if anyone could shed light on how this works?

Also, what power can the built-in controlers on the back of these motors handle?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Hatty

Default RE: CD-ROM motor questions

The fan motors on computers are brushless, so you cannot just plug it up to a power source and expect it to work. As for how much power they can handle, I would say you need to look up the fan's specs on the manufacturer's website. As for the motor itself, I am not sure it will have enough power to propel the plane. The computer fans are designd to spin quietly and efficiently, not in a way to give a lot of thrust. So, they might not be the best choice. But, I am not saying they will not work, just that you will have some difficulty. I would just save myself the hassle, but not my wallet, and purchase a brushless motor and controller.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:44 PM
hammered_chaos
My Feedback: (7)

here i am again, stumped! heres the skinny, my neighbor is a veteran rc pilot/ computer builder i told him of the cd rom motors being used in the e-flight (he's a glow freak) he said that he has about 20 old cd roms and gave me one. my problem is that i have got the motor out of the cd rom and now i have know clue as what to do with it ne1 shed some light on this for me and good links showing how and what to do would be great.

[email protected]
Old 03-25-2005, 01:50 PM
whiteghostUK

have a look here :

http://www.gobrushless.com/ccp51/cgi...cat&ref=motors

Also has instructions to rewind the motors read for a great flight !!

[8D]
Old 03-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Ron v. Sommeren

The number of statorpoles ("teeth" or "hammerheads") has to be a multiple of three. A four statorpole stator cannot be used. Don't be tempted into using the fan, it will not stand the rpm's.

Lot's of cd-rom motor building instructions, do's and don't's, tips & tricks, mandatory reading
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240993