Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Wattage Micro Flyer Transmitter Mod.

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Wattage Micro Flyer Transmitter Mod.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:20 PM
flyingace451

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wattage Micro Flyer Transmitter Mod.

I have seen where someone added a 9v. battery to the Transmitter for better range on the plane. Since the transmitter is also the lipo charger, would the extra 1.8 volts fry the batts? Just wondering...
Old 04-05-2005, 08:36 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Wattage Micro Flyer Transmitter Mod.

You would have to use another charger for the lipo.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
ronmar1

If your WAMF is a 27 MHZ plane, just pull out one of those old transmitters that came with that old 2 channel plane you learned to fly on! I bought an old used Sky Zap just for the transmitter that was on 27.145 mhz, I tried it and guess what! It will just about speck out both of my WAMFs with out any glitching. Both planes are on 27mhz.

If you're into Bit Car conversions the same thing is true here also. I have found that even more range can be had, by tweaking the antenna coil on the receiver to zero in on the larger transmitters.

Sure beats all that hacking and soldering, FET here and MOSFET there stuff!

Ron
Old 04-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Rick Lindsey

I suspect you could install some sort of toggle switch that would isolate the extra 2 cells for charging purposes... just never forget to switch to the "charge" setting before charging the battery! It looks like it might take some fancy wiring on a dpdt switch, but i've got a little circuit sketched that i think would do the trick.

-Rick

<edit> actually, the wiring isn't fancy at all... just use a dpdt switch, wire the stock battery into one common terminal, short the terminals on one side of the switch together (this is the "charge" switch setting), wire the 2 extra cells between the 2 terminals on the other side (the "fly" switch setting) making sure that the polarity matches that of the stock batteries, and wire the other common terminal off to wherever the battery originally went </edit>

<edit2> oh, and this obviously only works if you're using the "add 2 more cells" approach rather than replacing the entire battery with a 9V battery... of course, you could still use a switch to flip back and forth between the stock battery and the 9V battery, but it'd be a different circuit</edit2>