Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Graupner Mosquito

Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Tommy632

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Graupner Mosquito

Sorry to say, mine is still on the to do list.......
Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 AM
Flyer 1

Yep, I just ordered two more, myself. Great little planes, if somewhat temperamental. However, almost ALL planes of this size/weight are.
When I saw the HobbyLobby sale I snapped two more right up - they're a seriously great buy for what I consider a very unique flyer.
My original Mosquito has gone through serious changes to make it what it is. I used an AstroFlight Coreless motor and made my own battery packs for it out of two single cells from Airhog AeroAces. The resulting packs are, well, small!
Also, I used a Cirrus Micro Joule system instead of traditional equipment. The entire system comes in at under one ounce including the ESC. There's plenty of room for these teensy little servos in there compared to other makes. The system almost makes the Mosquito's innards seem spacious.
Anyhow - what the plane IS, is fun. Unlike other micro-planes, this one can handle a bit of wind (though not too much) without blowing away like a leaf, due to the wing loading. It flies faster than other micros, when comparing them to the light, built-up variety commonly used indoors and that usually fly at under a walking pace.
The main attraction of the Mosquito in contrast to similar ones is that it can be flown in your front yard, around the street and over your neighbor's lawn just like a larger electric, with the same flight characteristics. It does NOT fly like typical slowflyers, i.e., the SlowStick. You're not dealing with a plane that lumbers slowly around - the Mosquito gets out and moves. However, it's capable of a very tight turning radius, which makes a for a great deal of fun as you're dodging stop signs, trash cans, chasing cats, etc..
However, it's important to realize that flying it like this is NOT for a beginner. Your reflexes have to be very solid. If you can fly a quick Mustang well, I'd say you'cn do the front yard bit. If not, best to stick with the small fields of baseball-diamond size.
I'm going to reduce the dihedral of the tips on one of the new ones and install ailerons. Since a MicroJoule servo only weighs 3 grams the weight will be hardly noticed, and it should handle close-in flying far better than before.
A VERY fun little plane. If you want to fly it at it's max potential, I'd recommend the Cirrus system and the AstroFlight Firefly coreless motor system.
Flyer
Old 03-19-2007, 09:29 PM
bayward

[&o] I called Hobby Lobby to order one this morning and they are sold out. End of the line for Hobby Lobby. Anyone want to sell me one of their kits ? Or know another online dealer selling them ?

Bob
Old 03-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Flyer 1

If someone's got an unassembled kit, it'd be a VERY easy one to duplicate from scratch. There's only 7 pieces to the fuse, 2 for wing, and 4 for V-tail. A single sheet of balsa would make the entire fuse and tail, and a 3/16 in. sheet would make the wings. It'd just be a matter of tracing the parts onto cardboard to make templates.
However - since my last post, my other Mosquitos have arrived are are now, ahem - assembled.
SURELY someone else has one, though!
Flyer