Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Plantraco sub gram receivers now available

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Plantraco sub gram receivers now available

Old 04-26-2005, 02:33 AM
plantraco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plantraco sub gram receivers now available

Please check out our new lightweight R/C system suitable for indoor flying in the home.

http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/index.html

Good video of our 4 gram R/C Butterfly at the bottom of this webpage:

http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/product_hfx900.html

Sorry for the shameless plug, but I'd like the readers here to see what we have.

Best Regards

Bud
plantraco.com
Old 07-02-2005, 10:30 PM
mars

Default RE: Plantraco sub gram receivers now available

Ok ived removed my "venom".

Now for the facts.

Motor=Eflite park outrunner 400 920kv
ESC= Eflite 20 amp brushless
Battery 1250mah E-tec 11.1
Very carefully put together and wiring neatly and professional done.

I purchased a DSP-4 made by Plantraco with a Plantraco crystal. Right out of the package the crystal did not fit the machine fit plugs. I attemted to tape the crystal into the crystal jack. Ok lets go to the field.
At the field my mentor and I decided NOT to fly the plane do to the glitching going on. At 30' away the system was total irratict.
My mentor is a LONG time rc'er(35+ years) who many people know and respect in this hobby. He has been designing, building and selling custom electronics since the early '80s. He is what I would call an expert in the field. I told him about the DSP4 crystal fit and we decided to go to his shop to trouble shoot the system. After checking other rx's, servos, and batteries it was clear it was the rx/crystal. The plugs provided on the rx DO not fit the provided crystal. I paid $7 for the "brand named crystal". He then desolder the provided jacks and resolder the crystal to the board. Time for yet anthor range check. It appeared to have fixed the problem. I preformed yet anthor range check at the field. 75' away antenna down, pointed straight at the plane it had full control. By the way the antenna was not crossed or anything else, it was as cleanly mounted as you can do on a plane. Fish turd hanging out the rear and all.
Ok I was ready to fly! Hand launch went perfect got 3/4 around the circuit then it locked up. Plane is totaled.

So what should I think?

I have run many different styles of rx's and have never experienced this problem. Maybe Im just lucky I havent had anything like this ever happen, till now. Ive been flying planes for 10 yrs and had cars since 82'. Im not new to the hobby.

My post(s) are to inform and educate. We as modelers have to trust our hobby providers to make sure products are safe and reliable. If something doesnt work then maybe its a fluek or maybe there is a problem with the product. Obviously, there is a problem with the dsp4 crystal and board plug. I know this problem has been brought up to the seller in Febuary by a modeler I know personal. They still have not addressed the problem.

Are you going to replace my rx? Im not sure I can trust a replacement DSP4. Im sorry my frist experience with your products went so bad. Believe me I wanted it to work, I tired to make it work.

Nothing like losing a plane to an rx.

T
Old 07-03-2005, 01:33 AM
plantraco

ORIGINAL: mars

Plantraco rx's the worst Ive ever used. Lost a plane on maiden to one and will never buy Plantraco again. Care to settle w/ me on the cost? Only 1 flight on it.

The crystals dont fit and even after removing the plug and soldering straight to the board it still failed in flight. After a full range check. 300' out and then lock up.

Nothing like losing a plane to an rx.

Toy electronics dont cut it in the hobby world.

You are not talking about the same product.

I am sorry that you have had a bad experience with one of our products. I'm sure if you keep making posts like that we'd probably like to pay you off just to avoid the bad publicity!

The post you made is a little mean spirited, and knowing that we try our best to treat all our customers fairly and usually with a big smile, I don't know how to reply. I am a little insulted, and a little embarrassed to see a negative post like this - we want to see happy customers - what do you do when someone makes a post such as this one? Both sides of the story would have to be told for any reader to get information out of this. Maybe our bad product was poorly designed and all of them fail catastrophically. Or maybe you made a bad setup of the receiver, or maybe the crystal fell out, maybe your soldering iron was too hot, maybe you ran a speed 540 motor on a 10 Amp ESC and let the smoke out of the ESC - Just because you found another way to crash your model doesn't always mean that it is the cause of the manufacturer, but maybe it was our fault - I don't know - I am open to that idea. So what's the problem - Did you contact our service department? I know that we would have offered you a replacement receiver or a refund. We have happy customers, so what happened to you to post such venom. Would you seriously like Plantraco to pay you for your damaged model? On occasion if we screw up will will send a free gearbox or something like that as a courtesy - usually we do that without being asked.

We are a sensible company when it comes to customer service.

Are you the person who bought a receiver from a hobby shop at a trade show, lost your receipt, and were asking Plantraco - the manufacturer - to give you a cash refund? That was one unhappy guy that I can remember in the last year. We tried our best, but we just couldn't put a smile on that dude's face. Yuck, memories of that take away from the fun of R/C.

Let's move on to the subject of this thread - SUB GRAM RECEIVERS:

Perhaps you are referring to our DSP4-SC receiver with built in 10 Amp ESC. That is a different product for park flyers.

Our new HFX900 operates on 900Mhz, is purely digital RF, weighs as low as 0.38 grams (a quarter ounce is 7 grams). This thing allows us to fly in the livingroom, check the video:

http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/butterflyvideo.html

This entire R/C model weighs less than a sheet of typing paper

Our Sub Gram Micro9 receivers do not require crystal change, you can select your frequency from the included Transmitter.

It comes with a built in portable precision lithium polymer charger, patent pending Bahoma connectors, super short antennas, built in voltage protection, included an FMS R/C Flight simulator interface cable and the freeware FMS software.

It is your choice whether to buy Plantraco products or not, but please do not such mean remarks about our company. Don't be mean, we don't deserve it. I would like you to talk to some of our "fans" who are very pleased that we brought our new 900Mhz system for indoor Micro R/C modelling.

Check the reviews of the Plantraco HFX900 system at: http://www.rcmicroworld.com - one of the best publications on Micro R/C

To the readers here - Don't believe the off topc, negative bad posts in this thread - Plantraco Micro R/C equipment is very good!

Regards

Bud Kays
plantraco.com

Old 07-03-2005, 10:55 AM
mars

Please reread my edit on my frist post. I tried to be gentle.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 PM
plantraco

OK thanks for editing your terrible post - but - you are still talking about the wrong product in this thread.

This thread is about our SUB GRAM receivers for indoor and livingroom flyers - not the DSP4 Park Flyer receiver! Plantraco designs and manufactures a lot of products. Why bring it up here?

You switched to another crystal - so that could be the problem. You must use the Plantraco crystal. The fit can be a little loose - just squeeze the crystal leads with pliers and they will fit tightly. Tape the crystal in place.

Your mentor should know better than to suggest a crystal brand switch - we need a pullable crystal - and any old crystal off the shelf will not work.

Call our customer service department and we will fix you up with a replacement or refund - that is never a problem.

But please realize that the thread you are posting to is about our Micro R/C system and NOT your park flyer woes.

Our DSP4 is a good receiver, and it can work well. It was state of the art for it's time - now we have better designs in the works for 72Mhz, but again - This thread was intended to be about our ultra lightweight sub-gram receivers. Posts like yours hardly make me want to make more 72Mhz receivers! Maybe nobody will buy them because you as a super-contributor are telling people that our "Toy grade electronics" don't cut it. So even if you are wrong (and you may be), your bad post can influence people negatively - so why should I bother to spend our resources to innovate and make better R/C equipment for you?

Our receiver design was completed by Don McGlaughlin from MikroDesigns. He is a perfectionist and practially taught Peter Berg how to do his own Berg DSP. Call Don up and tell him your problems and he will straighten you out for sure. IF you like seeing product innovation, you should as a "super contributor" realize that what you say can influence others - so better for you to be sure you are correct - stick to the facts, and if you want to slander a company even if you are wrong, it probably reflects more on you actually.

Maybe you got a defective DSP4 receiver, maybe your crystal change was not good, maybe you got shot down by a kid with a parkflyer on the same channel - who knows.
We stand by our products - call our customer service department for refund or replacement on your DSP4 receiver.

This thread is turning into a flame-war - too bad - I posted about our Sub Gram receivers a few months ago, and I don't think anyone at rcuniverse understands what we have. The response at RCgroups has been very favourable. I can't devote time to spinning negativity into something positive - everyone gets egg on their face. I will apply my time towards our Micro R/C system.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:15 PM
mars

I never said we changed crystals, we used the provided crystal.
I am a new customer, not one you heard from before. Sympathy would have been the proper reponse, not implying I am a noob.
Im sorry I hijacked your thread.

ORIGINAL: plantraco

so why should I bother to spend our resources to innovate and make better R/C equipment for you?

My money. Nuff said. Sorry to bother you, wont happen again.....
Old 07-03-2005, 06:59 PM
plantraco

Well, the point here is that when the end user gives us heat like you did, it sure doesn't encourage us to develop innovative R/C products for you and others - it's a big bummer to have people post on a public forum that they hate you and will never buy your product. It is no fun, it is unjust, and we don't deserve such treatment.

You practically try to extort money from our company on a public forum - I don't like that either.

We all crash models. It's part of the fun. To blame the manufacturer of your components is (usually) unfair. To post here your negative slanderous comments is also unfair.

It sounds like you had a problem before you flew. If you had glitching on the ground, you probably should have waited and found out what the problem was. I don't know all the details of your problem - it sounds like a defective receiver. Stuff happens. You need to tell that to our customer service department if you want us to help you debug your installation. What you posted here is not enough to know what the problem was definitively.

Yes, we are sorry that your plane crashed, and yes we can refund your money or exchange your receiver - call our office! - I just hate having to go through this on a public forum.

You asked us to pay for your model - well, is that even reasonable? Sheesh!

Your appology for hijacking the thread is accepted - thanks for that. My original post was shameless self promotion anyways.

We don't mean any ill-will to you - but your negative post required a response to defend our good reputation.

Read through the whole thread again - you edited your first post 2 times and what was written before wasn't very good either. I am surprised they call you a super-contributor because the tone of your Emails was very offensive and probably damaging to our reputation, and I don't think Plantraco deserves that - we make good stuff, and we try to give the best customer service we can.

Sorry your plane crashed. Maybe it was caused by our receiver, maybe it was caused by a poor setup or some other problem - who knows for sure?

Sorry to all readers who were interested in our Micro R/C system only to have to get involved in a flame war.

Sorry to Mars if I offended you in my responses, but I have to take care of our company - Plantraco, I had to respond.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:28 PM
mars

OMG, I did not try to extort money from you. Have I ever contacted you or your company?
The only thing you are doing is adding fuel to the fire.

You need to reread the thread. And if I decide to change my wording its only because Im trying to be polite, instead of letting my anger talk. I have never been treated like this from a vendor.

I thought I was done with this thread but then the vendor decided to slander the customer.

P.S. rcuniverse put the title "super contributor" under my name, just like it does to all the members that hit a certain post count. If you continue to make polite insults it only make you look bad. I bet the mods are laughing at this thread.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:36 AM
plantraco

OK, I am sorry about that. You are right, I am feeding the flames. I sure didn't like your first post and I over-reacted about your first post, which you admit was also insulting.

My humble appologies - I don't want to trade insults. Now we are both wrong and we sure didn't enjoy the exchange did we. Oh well

I am more interested to find out why your receiver crapped out or why your plane crashed. We are here for you to give you customer support so I just couldn't fathom someone being mean to us online - it hurts because we care and we try our best.

No hard feelings.

Bud Kays
plantraco.com