Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Micro Republic XF-12 Rainbow scale project

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Micro Republic XF-12 Rainbow scale project

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Micro Republic XF-12 Rainbow scale project

I though you guys might like to see my new micro scale project.

After buying a couple of DWE P-38 models and upgrading them to N20 power, I had 4 of the M20 MLV motors left over that needed a home.

My favorite 4 engine aircraft of all time is the Republic XF-12 Rainbow, a very fast 4 engine recce bird of which only 2 were ever built.

I decided to do a micro one and drew one up at 1/72 scale, or a 21.5" span. This looked a little small wing wise, so I added a little bit of span and cord to the wing, which is about 23" in span as you see it here.

The fuse and nacelles are blue foam, carved and hollowed and covered with Peck Polymers tissue and water based polyurethane. The tail surfaces are 2MM Depron and the wing is molded 3MM Depron that I created on a wooden form.

It is almost finished in these pics, but still needs spinners and a few more minor details

The equipment is: 4x M20 MLV (the motors are wired 2s2P), 4X Wattage Lightning props, 2s250 lipo, GWS R4P, BMS 303 servos on aileron and elevator and a GWS 050 ESC.

The model is a touch piggy at 96 grams, but still flys very nicely and does fine in a single gym.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25917.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	274044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85172.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	274045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51981.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	274046  
Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Nitrocharged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Micro Republic XF-12 Rainbow scale project

Very nice job Thomas!

Looks great in flight.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:39 AM
John Worth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Your XF-12 looks Great! I'd like to show in our new RC Micro World online magazine. Can I have your permission to copy one of the flight photos and publish it , along with any details of the model and what you would care to say about it?

Our July issue is being put together now, for online diplay July 1. [email protected]
Old 06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Thomas B

Sure, John...I would be honored. I will email you directly.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thomas,

Great job!

I see we both like to feed one project from another when spare parts are involved.

My indoor/micro flight projects are on-hold until after the NEAT Fair when the season gets cold again.

Do you ever have any interference issues using the GWS R-4P receiver in a group setting? If so, I can send you some FMA M5 receivers that are similar weight but provide full-strength dual conversion rejection. We wouldn't want that XF-12 Rainbow to take a glitch!

Regards.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Thomas B

Thanks, Greg.

I do have and really like 3 of the M5 RX units. If FMA would like to donate an RX to the XF-12, I sure would not mind..

There has been a good bit of discussion over on RC Groups about updating the programming in this RX so that it will go to low throttle when the TX signal is lost, instead of holding the last good signal frame. Mine have always worked flawlessly, but I would like to buy some more after the change is made.

Here are a couple of pictures of the XF-12 at SMALL last weekend. It now has black props, scale silver spinners and all the decals and windows applied. I still need a little more power and the next step will be to add a third 250 cell to the battery pack, creating a 3S 250. As the motors are wired 2s2p, and each motor now sees one cell, they will now see 1.5 cells. As some have run these motors on 2 cells, this might be an easy solution for a little more power.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75862.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	283842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57570.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	283843  
Old 06-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thomas,

Awesome flying photo!

Send me your address in a PM and I'll get another M5 out to you. Also include your freq. band, shift, and channel number.

We will be improving the M5 design shortly (next month) and introduce it as an M6. I'll send your request to the Engineers but I seem to recall that this feature was already on the list. It can't hurt to make sure.

If you can point me to the receiver discussions or send me a link, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.