Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Plantraco Butterfly

Old 08-19-2005, 03:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plantraco Butterfly

Anyone tried one of these yet? The miniaturization looks incredible. Not sure where the power is coming from. Really dumb-looking transmitter box. Any comments?

[link]http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/product_butterfly.html[/link]

Old 08-20-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Plantraco Butterfly

I've put in a request to review it because it looked like an interesting jump in micro-flight technology. I'll let you know if it happens.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:27 PM

I got a Butterfly a few weeks ago and it flys great. 10 minute flights at half throttle. The whole package is real complete including a nice carring case. You have to fly in dead calm weather or inside. I fly at a local church or school gym on weekends.

The construction is fragile but the plane flys so slow I don't think it could hurt itself unless you hit something high off the ground and fell.

Only two controls. Proportional rudder and throttle. If it starts to stall just give it more power and it will power right out of it. One of the best r/c planes I have ever owned adn I have been doing this for over 30 years.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:59 AM

its frikin $240
That is EXPENSIVE for a mini rc plane.

all you need is the rx and tx and the rest you can build urself
i like the rx so small.

the power is from a 30mah 0.9g li-po battery

its amazing but for $240 it seems a bit 2 much for a plane that small
Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: sparkling_fist

its frikin $240

i like the rx so small.

It is a bit high but man is that a cool plane! If they could get the price down they'd fly out of the warehouse! Literally! I'd love to have one!

Tom
Old 08-31-2005, 07:45 PM

Well, I/dad will be getting one soon, (within week) sounds like great flight times for it's size. It is pricy, but what do you expect, its a plane you fly in you LIVING ROOM!! Plus, they do give you FMS stuff, a carrying case, and reciever with internal charger+no antenna. What else do you want? I managed to get dad to foot the bill, but I'll probably fly it alot anyway. I do agree though, if they got some publicity and managed to get the price lower there would be ridiculous amounts of orders. I know that there are very fewplanes (at least one) designed to fit into a case you can bring through the airport safely, why not have one which fits into this nice case, and requires only a living room area to fly? This little plane is irresistable really.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:25 PM

I also noticed they have one called the Sky Buddy, looks fun and MUCH CHEAPER. Anyone have one they'll reviews here?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 AM

its frikin $240

i like the rx so small.

things get more expensive as they get smaller. its not like a camera the size of a grain of rice is a dollar simply because its so small, it will cost hundreds because of it.

the sky buddy airplane is a toy- nonproportional, and heavy so it needs to fly outside.

benthehen
Old 09-01-2005, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Benthehen

its frikin $240

i like the rx so small.

things get more expensive as they get smaller. its not like a camera the size of a grain of rice is a dollar simply because its so small, it will cost hundreds because of it.

the sky buddy airplane is a toy- nonproportional, and heavy so it needs to fly outside.

benthehen

Heck they are ALL toys, there is really no differance other than more complex electronics MAYBE. That sky Buddy will probably take more abuse too than the Butterfly. I'll probably be ordering a Sky buddy very shortly.

Tom
Old 09-01-2005, 04:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Tommyr

its frikin $240

i like the rx so small.

benthehen

Heck they are ALL toys, there is really no differance other than more complex electronics MAYBE. That sky Buddy will probably take more abuse too than the Butterfly. I'll probably be ordering a Sky buddy very shortly.

Tom

some more than others. the sky buddy does fly- but it is a little kids toy, a chinese clone. more complex electronics maybe? obviously you have spent no time looking at the differences between the planes. non proportional, nimh, heavy- proportional, lipo, lightest mass produced plane.

the butterfly is the worlds lightest rtf.. it truly is. they can charge as much as they want.

benthehen
Old 09-01-2005, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL:

benthehen

Tom

[/quote]

"some more than others. the sky buddy does fly- but it is a little kids toy, a chinese clone. more complex electronics maybe? obviously you have spent no time looking at the differences between the planes. non proportional, nimh, heavy- proportional, lipo, lightest mass produced plane."

Yes, I know the differences, the basic thing is they all do the same thing, fly. Which is the whole idea of the hobby for the most part.

"the butterfly is the worlds lightest rtf.. it truly is. they can charge as much as they want.

benthehen"

Yes they can indeed charge what ever they want. I think the Butterfly is great. I can easily afford to get one (that doesn't mean it's logical) but they need to use something stronger than tissue IMHO for the covering and maybe a stronger frame than balsa. I'm sure there is other LIGHT material they can use to make this neat little bird stronger.

Tom
Old 09-03-2005, 04:49 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

I have had one of these little planes for a month now, and it is still flying, despite having crashed it innumerable times. I have repaired just about every joint on both wings, on the rudder, have managed to glue my fingers to the tissue and had to repair it--and it is still flying great. (Oh yeah, I snapped the front of the frame where the motor is mounted making some adjustments). So, while it is fragile, meaning any crashes with velocity will result in damage, it is very repairable, and is proving to be an extremely durable plane. I doubt that it could be made out of anything heavier and still fly with that little motor. It is just the opposite of my IFO. which is truly indestructible, thanks to a strong resilient carbon fiber frame that never seems to break. The butterfly has proven equally durable despite its apparent fragility, as it is so easily repaired. And I have never worked on models, used CA glue, etc. It truly is a beginner's plane, but with tons of control.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:28 PM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tommyr

quote:

quote:

its frikin $240

i like the rx so small.

benthehen

Tom

"some more than others. the sky buddy does fly- but it is a little kids toy, a chinese clone. more complex electronics maybe? obviously you have spent no time looking at the differences between the planes. non proportional, nimh, heavy- proportional, lipo, lightest mass produced plane."

Yes, I know the differences, the basic thing is they all do the same thing, fly. Which is the whole idea of the hobby for the most part.

"the butterfly is the worlds lightest rtf.. it truly is. they can charge as much as they want.

benthehen"

Yes they can indeed charge what ever they want. I think the Butterfly is great. I can easily afford to get one (that doesn't mean it's logical) but they need to use something stronger than tissue IMHO for the covering and maybe a stronger frame than balsa. I'm sure there is other LIGHT material they can use to make this neat little bird stronger.

Tom
Enough quoting already
Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 AM

I second that. After spending Hundreds of $$$ finally I have a plane that is easy to repair and that I can fly in my living- room. I am telling you this toy is worth every penny , plus! you can actually simply copy the original model and transfer all electronics. The best part of this little guy is that I can take it anywhere, with the flashy suitcase.Thanks PLANTRACO for inventing such an interesting and unique past time NOW IF I COULD JUST GET THE WIFE TO LEARN HOW TO FLY , WE CAN HAVE A DOG FIGHT RIGHT IN OUR LIVING ROOM[sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 09-13-2005, 01:24 AM

Plane arrived today. After a evening of flying, some inside some out, I think that this plane is worth it! it can fly really really slow, has suprisingly good turn response, and of course, can fly in your living room fairly easily. Plus for being so light and so fragile, it hasn't broken yet due to a crash. On one occasion it ran straight into the wall, (my dad was flying) 'bounced' off, went back into the wall, and again, and then got jammed into a crevice so that it looked like the wing was horribly bent, but actually nothing happened at all. Be prepared though, because their battery connection system, although useful, isn't quite as strong as a normal system. As well as the prop going off on every impact, since it is a shock absorber/safety feature, and although you could glue it there is no need to, since right now i'm satisfied that it could run into my head and I wouldn't get hurt at all. All in all it is a very complete package with every detail explained, and exellent flight characteristics that are fully adjustable.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:04 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Does anyone sell the Butterfly for less than the $239 suggested retail price? Is there anything comparable at all commercially to the Butterfly?

Thanks...
Old 09-17-2005, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: snooptalian

Does anyone sell the Butterfly for less than the $239 suggested retail price? Is there anything comparable at all commercially to the Butterfly?

Thanks...

I bought an Air hogs Aero Ace today for $30 and that plane is awesome! 10-15 minutes flights, 9" wingspan, 9" long and it's a biplane. My first RC plane experience and after just 2 flights in a 1/8th acre backyard I've got it pretty much down. I'll spend most of tomorrow flying it!

Tom
Old 10-07-2005, 12:33 AM
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just received my Butterfly today (after a two week wait) and ran through three fully charged battery packs...flys just like my first escapement single channel R/C did, only much slower (and far more durable!). It's a blast and surprisingly easy to control, but it will take some practice to be able to fully fly out a full charge in a small room without at least one crash from contact with a wall or furniture. The prop pops off but only takes a second to snap back on.

Mine did need a bit of trimming...on the third pack (maybe 10, 2 minute flights?), I moved the CG back a smidge and added 1/64" more positive incidence to slow it up a bit, now it's a bit easier to keep off the walls. I can also attest that it's a cat magnet, don't do any low "cat hatting" passes or you'll suffer...the CA is drying as I speak!

I'd also suggest doing the initail flights outside on a really calm evening or night (under the streetlights) until you get a feel for it. I would not really suggest it as a first model or for someone who doesn't understand the interaction of throttle and rudder to maintain altitude/speed in a given (small) space. For moderately experienced RC'ers, you'll feel right at home in a few minutes.

IMHO, $230 is a bargain for an RTF model of this capability and quality engineering. I can see many nights of fun ahead!

Barry
Old 10-17-2005, 12:59 PM

Mine came Saturday.. YEAHAA. I can now decide to fly at xx:xx time on X day. And I don't have ANY reason to miss that flying time. Sure is nice to be able to fly when I want. Now to talk the wife into knocking down the wall between the family room and breakfast nook!

I do need to get more batteries. Charge times seem to be pretty long.. Does an hour or so sound correct?

I found that I need to have at least 16' square to enjoy the flying. I haven't experimented with increasing the wing incidence. I suppose if I did that, I could turn smaller lazy 8's?

This thing is a lot of money… and it's worth every cent! It does appear to be pretty durable, for as light and small as it is! I had a bit of buyer's remorse while it was in transit. Now the I have it in my hands... I can't figure out why I waited so long. Just need to get a couple of extra batteries. Balsa Products didn't seem to have extra's in stock when I ordered this. I'll be ordering a couple of extra batteries before I go home tonight!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:00 PM
My Feedback: (7)

FedEx should be bringing my Butterfly here sometime today... Now I need to get the Housefly kit I got from Roomflight built for some good indoor flying at the Gym...I wished it was RTF like the Butterfly, I've never built anything this small before and I'm a bit leary of screwing it up.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:19 PM

My batteries take about 25-30 minutes to charge, at most. But then I have not yet fully drained a pack (assuming the ESC shuts it down at a safe voltage), I land as soon as I can sense that the pack is getting weak.

For indoors, I have settled on the following - move the CG back by sliding the stab back about 1/16" and change the incidence about 1/20" (moving the wing down on the rear post). With these settings it will climb quickly into a stall at full power but it is easier to fly in a really small space (10' x 12') by flying in a nose-high, constantly turning attitude without losing altitude. It's a real balancing act with the throttle.

Outdoors at night I go back to the original settings and set it up for a decent power-off glide and a rapid descent when in a tight turn. Lots of fun flying figure 8's around the light posts and trees. Almost got a loop but not quite enough power to pull over the top.

It's raining today, I may bring it out and play in the living room a bit!

Barry
Old 10-18-2005, 12:26 PM

One more suggestion - I have now glued my prop on, it acts like a shock absorber and has allowed me to continue flying after a couple wall/ceiling contacts, and I put some 1/2" square flourescent orange Monokote trim sheet on my batteries to make them easier to find. I have also taken to taping the battery on when flying outside using some 1/8" wide strips of the 'frosty' 3M scotch tape. I lost one pack in high grass (2" is high in this case!) and one is enough!

Barry
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 AM

Yes, it can be good to glue the propeller on.

We leave it up to the customer. Some guys might like to try different props on the Butterfly. For instance, you can use the 3022 prop instead of the 4027 prop, and you'll fly longer, but with less reserve thrust. I like having more available thrust to get out of trouble, but if you somehow have difficulty flying the Butterfly, you can make it more docile with a 3022 prop. It depends what you like.

Using the prop as a shock absorber is good, you sometimes can bounce off the wall and come out of it flying when you glue it on.

Oh - regarding the Sky Buddy - I agree, it is more of a cheap toy - it flies well, but I'd say it is harder to fly in a pre-determined flight path, and it doesn't compare to the Butterfly. The Butterfly costs more to make - lots more - and that's why it works. For our company (Plantraco), we are better off making top quality than trying to compete with the Chinese toys that have flooded the market. We also enjoy this more - I think we are now #1 in Micro R/C - so that's pretty cool. Sky Buddy is a plane that is great to keep in the trunk of your car, ready for action when there is no wind. The Butterfly is a portable livingroom flyer that anyone can own and gain the experience that only a dozen people in the world were capable of achieving only 6 months ago. We didn't cut any corners on the Butterfly - we just made our first RTF plane work really well - and that's a good spot for our company to be.

Nice to see some activity on the Micro forums here! I'll try to check more often!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:07 AM

Does anyone know what size the wire is for the actuator? Any ideas on where you can source it locally?
Old 10-27-2005, 01:35 PM

the rx/tx is the most expensive parts of the plane..
$190 for it ,

but i am actuly amazed by it now,..

you know you can have elev as well as ruder on this plane?
the rx as a slot for rudder and elev. but ull have to do some mods for the elev to work..
im actuly going to buy something from the site but im only gonna buy the rx and tx...
i
m gonna make a micro heli with it..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.