Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
 Micro X "Hornet" rubber to rc conversion >

Micro X "Hornet" rubber to rc conversion

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Micro X "Hornet" rubber to rc conversion

Old 09-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro X "Hornet" rubber to rc conversion

I was digging around in my basement and looking at my old RC stuff and found a Micro X Hornet kit pinned to the building board. I have been out of the hobby for a couple of decades and find it amazing all the cool stuff that has happened in the hobby. Especially with the modern battery and electric power technology.

I am thinking about converting this kit to modern micro electric RC and was looking for reccomendations as to motor, battery and airborne RC systems that might be approprite for this cute little kit. Maybe for indoor or calm day outdoor flights.

wingspan is 18" with 45 square inches of wing area. Not sure what it might weigh when it is done. It was designed to compete in the embryo endurance rubber flight rules.

rise off table
less than 50 square inches of wing area
no folding propellors
etc

Your thoughts on this project are appreciated.

Gary
Old 09-02-2005, 02:25 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Micro X "Hornet" rubber to rc conversion

Gary, check this site out:
www.djaerotech.com

The MPS-2A motor system with either a 2 or 3 cell (3 cell for ludicrous climb rate) 250 mah Li-Poly pack, 2 Pico servos, a Pixie 7P ESC, and a small receiver such as the GWS R4P would do the job.
That power system includes geared reduction components and propeller (6 x 5 GWS modified), capacitor.
I'm flying a Guillows "Javelin" at 2.7 ounces with the single motor system (MPS-1A), and it has a steady, nice climb and 45 minutes duration on a 250 mah, 2 cell li-poly pack.
The MPS-1A may be plenty for your hornet, it depends on the finished, all-up weight primarily.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:18 PM

The DWE gear would be good in that.

Here's their site: [link=http://www.slowfly.com/index.chtml]http://www.slowfly.com/index.chtml[/link]

Try posting this on their forum you may get some good info.

I think a KP00 for the motor, RFFS 100 for the Rx & ESC, 2 of their remote actuators and a 1 cell 210mAh Li-poly for the battery would work well

Then you just need a charger and a Tx and your ready to go!

Hope this helps a bit!

Greg.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 PM

either of those would work.. but the first will be a not all that aerobatic bullet, second will be slow and lazy flying with a loop or two. i would go with the dwe stuff myself- should give you something like 5-10 mph speed with a wee bit of extra power.

benthehen
Old 09-07-2005, 07:29 PM

I have been looking at your recommendations and have found them useful and full of good info. Lots of stuff here to met my needs I would think. Thanks for the heads up on these sites.

I was also looking here: http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/

What do you thing of the BSD actuators and the Falcon servos?

Also, has anyone messed with the JSP Rx ? These folks are near me and might look into them first hand.

More Later. Cheers.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:33 AM

bob is a great guy, all the stuff he sells is good. the big bsd actuators may work, i ussually stay under a one ounce auw for acts- but the important thing is wingloading/speed when you are thinking about an actuator.. so i cant really say. falcon actuators are very good, but i dont think they are cost effective in this plane- taking on another gram or two with a $20 or so price tag, for a blue arrow servo, is better for this plane i think. i have heard that bluearrows dont center all that good though.

a good option would be the cirrus micro joule equiptment- it seems to work good now, and is on sale at hobby people for $100 for the flight pack- you would just need the propulsion and a battery. probly something around 200-250 mah, single cell, and possibly one of gws's lightest propulsion sets. but im not totally sure on the propulsion, it really depends on the finished plane.

beano