Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Old 10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Dr. Krass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

I bought a wattage micro flyer a week ago and was sorely disappointed with every aspect of it. And then today I read this thread and I went out to TRU to find that they had 1 Aero Ace in stock, so I forked over the $30 hoping that it would go further than the $25 I wasted on the microflyer. WOW this thing is on another level compared to the micro flyer. MUCH better than I expected. Like you guys said, the build quailty is excellent, extreamly durable design, and it's EASY to fly. Mine completed it's first charge in 10 minutes, and I got a solid 10 minutes of flight time out of it! They are easily worth $50 imo. Also, you could practically fly these things in your dining room! I flew mine on my driveway and it was more than enough room.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: Dr. Krass

I bought a wattage micro flyer a week ago and was sorely disappointed with every aspect of it. And then today I read this thread and I went out to TRU to find that they had 1 Aero Ace in stock, so I forked over the $30 hoping that it would go further than the $25 I wasted on the microflyer. WOW this thing is on another level compared to the micro flyer. MUCH better than I expected. Like you guys said, the build quailty is excellent, extreamly durable design, and it's EASY to fly. Mine completed it's first charge in 10 minutes, and I got a solid 10 minutes of flight time out of it! They are easily worth $50 imo. Also, you could practically fly these things in your dining room! I flew mine on my driveway and it was more than enough room.

Yeah, I bought a Wattage Micro flyer as well about a month or so ago and thought it stunk too. Just really horrible quality IMHO for $40-50.

You're right, the Aero Ace is easily worth $50 but Shhhhhhhh, don't tell Spinmaster!

Mine had flight 22 today after 2 weeks of unflyable weather here...

Tom
Old 10-25-2005, 10:10 AM
nahtan4

Thanks for all the help. I went to the store yesterday and they had 2 in stock. Haven't had the chance to fly it yet but it look fun.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:30 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

hi guys,

i've owned 3 or 4 micro flyers. it seems to be a hit or miss if you'll get a good one. all of mine worked quite well and only started getting bad after many many high altitude nose-ins. but, for the same amount of money, the AeroAce is indeed the better deal (for 30 dollars i have made countless other planes with their electronics, all have flown nicely, especially the little 7" P-38).

but, wattage is trying to redeem itself with this little guy: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/157105.asp a few have gotten it and seem to be quite pleased with it. i'll probably get one sometime in the near future.

nick
Old 10-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: micro_builder

[Snip]

wattage is trying to redeem itself with this little guy: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/157105.asp a few have gotten it and seem to be quite pleased with it. i'll probably get one sometime in the near future.

nick

No thanks. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.....

Tom
Old 10-25-2005, 09:57 PM
PigBoat_2

I recently bought the Super Sonic plane and that mother was fun! I flew it for countless flights per day and it still flies like it's right out of the box. I went and bought the Aero Ace yesterday and flew its maiden flight today. It flies at least as well as the Super Sonic; with the upgrades I'm seeing, it'll fly even better when I have time to make them! TY for all the help guys!

PB_2
Old 10-27-2005, 04:08 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a question for anyone willing to answer. What are all of the control surfaces for this plane, is it three Channel? Most of the cheaper r/c planes are only two channel and I find this setup hard to fly. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Dr. Krass

the aero ace is 2 channel with 2 motors. Proportional throttle, and steering which is done by increasing/decreasing one motor at a time. Mine just got stuck about 25' up in a tree.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:04 PM
sparkling_fist

[] a whack with a long stick should get it down..
Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

I have a question for anyone willing to answer. What are all of the control surfaces for this plane, is it three Channel? Most of the cheaper r/c planes are only two channel and I find this setup hard to fly. Thanks for the info.

You'll have NO trouble flying this plane!

The ONLY adjustment you *may* have to make is to the rudder so it launches straight, piece of cake to do. The TX has a trim pot on it as well. I trim my plane a bit by giving mine a little right rudder bend with the trim pot centered. After that it flys straight and is a pleasure and a blast to fly!

Believe me you will LOVE this little plane!

Tom

Old 10-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Slickastroglide

I currently own 3 aero aces and LOVE them. All three have had the lower wings removed, weight added to the nose to improve flight, but I hve a question. The latest one I seems to have a VERY small range, and I've nearly lost it twice due to it taking off once it leaves control range. I opened it up to lengthen the ant but to my surprise there are the wires for the lipo, and the 4 wires for the m0otors attached to the little board inside. *** is the ant? So, my initial thought was the white spool looking thing must be the ant. Is this correct? if so, where do I need to attach my wire to extend this bad boy? If not, where is the dang thing?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: Slickastroglide

I currently own 3 aero aces and LOVE them. All three have had the lower wings removed, weight added to the nose to improve flight, but I hve a question. The latest one I seems to have a VERY small range, and I've nearly lost it twice due to it taking off once it leaves control range. I opened it up to lengthen the ant but to my surprise there are the wires for the lipo, and the 4 wires for the m0otors attached to the little board inside. *** is the ant? So, my initial thought was the white spool looking thing must be the ant. Is this correct? if so, where do I need to attach my wire to extend this bad boy? If not, where is the dang thing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

There is a BIG mod thread here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401484

Tom
Old 10-31-2005, 09:09 PM
flyinrog

Walmart has some air hog stuff but no aero aces, I may try Target tomorrow...Rog
Old 11-01-2005, 10:47 AM
MKMotorsport

Must say im impressed with this silly little toy. bought one after reading all the threads raving about it. I must say, its quite a bit better than I expected. Mind you im flying mine at 8000ft above sea level on a mountain side in colorado, and the air is thin. Even so im still getting ~ 10minutes of flight out of it. Im buying a second one today to mod a bit. My wife, as if she didnt need another reason- thinks I've lost it. im now buying toys from toys R' us and playing with them
Old 11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
sirsid27

My Ace flies well enough but I would like to hear some comments on TX battery life. I put six Duracells in mine and they lasted through just two, repeat two flights. I can't afford that!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: sirsid27

My Ace flies well enough but I would like to hear some comments on TX battery life. I put six Duracells in mine and they lasted through just two, repeat two flights. I can't afford that!

After about 12 charge cycles charge times start getting real long, close to if not an hour. After 24 cycles I'm on my 3rd set of batteries. I'll be switching to NiMhs next...

I also use Duracells.

Tom
Old 11-01-2005, 10:06 PM
MKMotorsport

ORIGINAL: Tommyr

ORIGINAL: sirsid27

After about 12 charge cycles charge times start getting real long, close to if not an hour. After 24 cycles I'm on my 3rd set of batteries. I'll be switching to NiMhs next...

I also use Duracells.

Tom
Exactly... im using 2300mah Nimh rechargeables in mine- Ive gotten as many as 8-10 charge fly cycles out of a set before recharging...

Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 PM
sirsid27

Good idea guys. I've got some rechargeables around here somewhere. I'll give them a try. I also have a small li-poly charger that will do a single cell. I will adapt that to charge my plane. That should make the TX batteries last a lot longer.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:21 PM
meegosh

I am going to check my local Toy R Us and see if they have any in stock. Since I will be out anyways I might aswell check Target and Walfart while I'm out. If I find a place with a gold mine of them I will consider buying some for the others that cannot get them in their area and ship them. Just a thought! Great thread, read all the posts and it makes me want to get one to go with my slow stick.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:06 PM
sirsid27

My atempt to adapt my lipoly chargers (Plantraco and Maha) failed. I guess these batteries are so small the chargers can't see them. They act as though nothing is connected. Be interesting to know if anyone else has tried this or has thoughts on it. Sid
Old 11-04-2005, 11:59 PM
rolandmi

Funny, I bought one of these on a whim when I took my little girl to buy a Zatch Bell video game (ugh...don't get me started...) at "We Be Toys" here in the greater ATL. I have been flying the crap out of it for the past month or so. I to am getting about 12 good charges off a set of Copper Tops. It has been on the roof twice, countless trees, bounced off the side of the house about 100 times and nose-dived into the neighbors pool once [>:] ....it was the wind I tell you . This plane is just about industructable. I have had soo much fun from this %#!@ thing that I started looking for another .....bigger....more expensive plane. I started to read up on the matter an have chosen a Firebird Scout, that will have it's maiden voyage tomorrow morning, but I am looking forward to doing these mod's to this little guy. I just happened upon this thread. I would be interested in how much difference the Lipo battery upgrade did for performance??? Was it worth the added weight? Anyone care to tell me where to buy the batt...or how to do the changeout?

-Bud
Old 11-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: rolandmi

Funny, I bought one of these on a whim when I took my little girl to buy a Zatch Bell video game (ugh...don't get me started...) at "We Be Toys" here in the greater ATL. I have been flying the crap out of it for the past month or so. I to am getting about 12 good charges off a set of Copper Tops. It has been on the roof twice, countless trees, bounced off the side of the house about 100 times and nose-dived into the neighbors pool once [>:] ....it was the wind I tell you . This plane is just about industructable. I have had soo much fun from this %#!@ thing that I started looking for another .....bigger....more expensive plane. I started to read up on the matter an have chosen a Firebird Scout, that will have it's maiden voyage tomorrow morning, but I am looking forward to doing these mod's to this little guy. I just happened upon this thread. I would be interested in how much difference the Lipo battery upgrade did for performance??? Was it worth the added weight? Anyone care to tell me where to buy the batt...or how to do the changeout?

-Bud

About the Scout, I have one.....it is fast and needs a LOT of room. It is not like the Aero Ace. It's a good thing they put a rubber nose on it or mine would be toast by now. I only had it out once, I have to find a larger field to fly it in.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 PM
rolandmi

I found that out by myself today! Luckily, my wife knew of this big park about 30 mins from us that is almost always empty....very few trees...about 250 x 150 yards in size with soft manicured grass.... it was perfect. There were about 5 people there. Good news about the Scout...I had four short flights off of two batteries. Just to get the feel of the thing......1st flight was with "Smart Tracking" ..............immediately to be turned off on subsequent flights [:-] Wow, what difference that makes...it was just TOO SLOW on the banks.....almost hit a power tower because of that crap....... you have to give it full throttle on to EVEN get it to bank with that mess on. The next 3 flights were much better...had to trim it a bit with some up Elev-ons (?)....did not seem to want to climb very well until it picked up some really good speed at about the 35-45 yard mark. Brought it home unharmed with 4 launches and landings (three of which were very good) on it's maiden flight............SUCCESS!

Bad news about the Scout...and it's a big one, is the flight times........I guesstimate about 4-5 min's before you notice that it is slowly loosing altitude......another 2 min to bring it in for about 6-7 min total per bat.....that's weak...I got pretty spoiled by my 16-17 min flights on a properly trimmed Aero Ace. I have 4 more batteries ordered for it (there cheap....9 bucks) so I can at least spend a good 40 min or so with it at the park........Think I'm gonna look for a thread about mod's to this sucker ;-) It would be nice to be able to put a bigger batt in this thing.....hmmmmmm

Overall I'm pretty happy with it...for the price. Will make a decent trainer.

Bad news for the Aero Ace however, there was a good 5-6 MPH breeze going....I knew better, but decided to fly it at the park anyway after the batteries in the Scout died. I let it get too upwind of me (not use to flying it in this much space) The wind was too strong and kept pushing it father and father toward the tree line....I fought the good fight, but by the time I had a chance to get it back, the batteries were about toast, the breeze took it into the thick pines and it is stuck about 200 feet up. Tried to throw a few rocks at it....couldn't get them that high. Gonna go back to the park tomorrow with my BB Pistol :-) Not really worried about hurting the plane, even if I can get the electronics out of it I will be happy....maybe the wind will knock it loose tonight as well. In any event, I have definitely got my 30 bucks out of it and was planning to buy another anyway so I could mod this one.

Sorry folks, trying not to get off topic, just wanted to relay my experience with the new (getting closer to the real deal) toy today............And I start to ramble after the 2nd Margarita [&:]

-Bud
Old 11-05-2005, 11:59 PM
sirsid27

I have another guestion about the Aero Ace's range. I have two Aces and they have very different ranges. About 150 feet at most. The first thing I notice is I can't turn, then I find I can't do anything. The motors go full throttle and it just flys away (always away). Can't seem to happen when it is pointed at you. It goes until a breeze bumps it into a spirol and brings it down. I walk a few hundred feet and there is setting there with motors wide open. Won't spot until the planes switch is shut off. Has anyone esle had this expirence? I will increase my antenae, but I don't know about that "fail safe" fly away. Thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 01:42 PM
micro_builder

Sirsid27,

as you found, plugging in a differant lipo charger wont charge the 130mah lipo in the aeroace. there are some electronics in the way on the PCB. the only way to charge the stock lipo with a non-stock charger is to pull the fuse apart, remove the lipo, and then charge it. i believe the PCB only allows a certain charge rate before it'll charge the battery, so unless you found that certain voltage and amperage, the PCB will "block" the charge. thats why you need to remove the lipo from the PCB before you can charge it with your own charger. as i mentioned, they're a 130mah cell, if i remember correctly, the TX charger chargers at almost twice the C rating (which is why they can get the faster charge time), so technically, its safe to charge it above the 1C rating of the cell, but i personally dont advise it.

as for your range, these things dont get the best range either way unfortunately. the RX antenna is only a few inches long, you can extend it though.

nick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.