Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 05:06 PM
sirsid27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Hogs Aero Ace!

Thanks, Nick your input is most helpfull

Sid
Old 11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
sirsid27

Nick,

I found part of my range problem. I took off the back and discovered nimh batteries. I had clean forgotten that I put them in that TX.
Senior moment I guess .

Sid
Old 11-08-2005, 10:08 AM
gfl

I have to admit that I was skeptical about purchasing this plane...However, the advice that I received from these forums prior to buying my slo-v was right on target. I have some questions about the aeroace concerning the modifications. I now own 3, 1 from each of the channels, and they fly great. In all honesty, Im having as much, if not more fun flying these than my slo-v since I can fly them in my cul-de-sac. I apologize in advance for the lengthy questions but Im interested in improving the performance of this plane.

1- How long will the lipo battery last before it needs to be replaced? I thought that I read in the instruction manuel that the lipo battery would need to be replaced in 6 months. How difficult will it be to change the battery and what steps will be needed? (soldering, suggestions for new battery, etc.)
2- The extended wings - Are you taping the bottom wings to the tip of the upper wing or is there an overlap for added support that I cant see in the photos? If the wings are taped to the tips, are you adding anything to the bottom for support such as a straw or fiberglass tape? Are there pros and cons to this modification?
3- Added weight to the front - What is suggested to accomplish this and what are the benefits to this modification?
4- Navigation lights - I read in this forum about adding lights using LED lights and a cr435 bobbin type battery. I have found the LED's but have had no luck finding the batteries. Any ideas? Nobody around the Baltimore, MD area seems to carry them in stock. Also, how are the lights attached to the batteries and then to the plane?
5- Landing gear - I have seen some pictures but I cant tell what was used to make and/or attach them. Anybody have success with the modification?

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments, initially concerning the plane itself (a great idea for inexpensive fun flying that the entire family can enjoy) and the modifications that should make the aeroace an even better plane to fly.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:32 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

GLF,

i bought the X-Twin planes (the original planes from over seas that AirHogs is now using under the AeroAce name) back in the begining of august this year and have noticed no change in battery performance. any well taken care of lipo should last far longer than 6 months, but because of they way they charge it, it gets a little abused. if you have your own lipo charger that can charge at 130mah or lower will help the longevity of the cell. if/when your lipo does wear out, the Kokam 145mah would be a good replacement, its just a little heavier, but they're cheap.

as for actually replacing the lipo, if you havent worked much with a soldering iron, ect, i'd find someone to help you. heat from the soldering iron can ruin the cell. but, if you've got the skills, then its easy. just split the plane in half down its seam and pull the battery out. clip the wires at the battery, then solder in your new lipo - double check your polarity, just in case. when clipping the wires, dont clip both at once, you could short it. if you've got a lipo charger, you can solder some plugs onto the battery and onto the RX of the plane, that way you can take the battery out if you want, or use other batteries too (i had 4 cells, two 130s, and two 145s, i could fly for about an hour without having to recharge). if you dont want to do the soldering, a hobby shop will usually do small stuff like that for cheap, if not free.

i've never extended the wings on my planes, the little things flew just perfect. if you have the bipe, try removing the bottom two wings and flying it like a mono wing, its been done and it can make for a whole new plane. i think if you extend the wing though, the plane will probably want to nose up more due to the extra lift. if that happens, you'll need to add more weight, which will probably make the plane faster and have a little shorter run time. but, experimentation is always good, give it a shot.

you can change the CG of plane without adding weight, fortunately. if you split your plane in half down its seam, you can cut out a little of the excess foam and slide the battery forward. you may want to use some tape to hold the cell in place so it doesnt shift during flight.

quite a few have added LEDs to their planes, i havent done it personally (it reduces flight time to some extent), but from what i've read, its easy. they just use two LEDs in parallel with the motors, along with using a small resister to limit the flow (without the resister, the LEDs will receive the full power from the lipo, probably shortening the LEDs life, and probably causing heat).

as for the landing gear, check the pictures i've added, they're from a Hotwheels type car.

hope this helps

nick

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92733.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	350941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25642.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	350942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49520.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	350943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74964.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	350944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc39566.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	350945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul79757.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	350946  
Old 11-09-2005, 09:13 PM
PigBoat_2

These are some pretty wild mods to this thing! Sheesh I have buy one of these suckers first! Couple quick questions:

1.) What type of wire do you use to extend the antenna?

2.)What the [sm=eek.gif] is a Slo-V? I've been hearing about them everywhere but I can't seem to deduct what they are!!!

Anyway TY in advance!

PB_2
Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 PM
drumbum37

The slo-v is a 3 ch v-tail from hobby zone
http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_parkzone_slo-v.htm

It's too bad there isn't a TRU closer than an hour away or I would get one. I have a preserver and have had fun with that and even an almost 16 yr old can afford 30 dollar plane. Guess I'll have to wait 'till they come out online.

Happy flying!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 PM
sirsid27

I'll address this to anyone and everyone. After flying for 2 or 3 minutes if I let it get to far away I loose all control. Can't turn it, can't shut it down and it just flies away. I am just about to give up on this plane. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks, Sid
Old 11-10-2005, 07:11 PM
PigBoat_2

To drumbum37: I was thinking this might be a good solution...look on pg. 3

ORIGINAL: meegosh

I am going to check my local Toy R Us and see if they have any in stock. Since I will be out anyways I might aswell check Target and Walfart while I'm out. If I find a place with a gold mine of them I will consider buying some for the others that cannot get them in their area and ship them. Just a thought! Great thread, read all the posts and it makes me want to get one to go with my slow stick.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Tommyr

ORIGINAL: sirsid27

I'll address this to anyone and everyone. After flying for 2 or 3 minutes if I let it get to far away I loose all control. Can't turn it, can't shut it down and it just flies away. I am just about to give up on this plane. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks, Sid

There are reports of that happening. How far away is it from you when that happens? Mine has kind of done that at about 40 feet away but I regain control somehow. I find that NOT pointing the end of the antenna at the plane helps believe it or not. Hold the antenna so the SIDE of it is towards the plane. Broadside to the plane.

There is also a mod for lengthening the antenna a little to extend range.

Done give up! The plane is WAY too much fun!!!!

Tom
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 PM
sirsid27

I added about a foot or more to my ant. This morning it happened maybe 100-125 feet away, but only after I had been flying maybe 3 or 4 minutes. It wouldn't be so bad if it would shut down or go out of control and crash. Sometimes it flys a couple hundred feet before it augers in. Where I fly that can be a fairly long walk with all the fences and gullies. We fly in a street department sump with several ball diamonds, all fenced.

Thanks Sid
Old 11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
joeman11
My Feedback: (6)

This is the most amazing thing that has happend in my life. Today, there was a package for me, but I didn't order anything. I opened it up and is was the Aero ace!! I remembered that a couple months ago, I went to www.spinkids.com, and you take these surveys and you get points for them. You take those points and put them in raphel things. Well, I put all my points in the one for the aero ace. And it was all for free, even the shipping!! I found out that when I put the bottom wings on the top, the altitude increased dramaticly, but the turning was way too bad, it would turn a little, then dive a lot. So, without the bottom wings, it climbs better, and it turns better, wow. I also added the landing gear. The hot wheels wheels are perfect!! Ive probably already put an hour on it. This is the coolest thing in the world!!, It can easily fly in backyards, i don't know about the indoor flight, a little cramed, but outside is perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16860.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	352153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51992.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	352154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84150.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	352155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46582.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	352156  
Old 11-11-2005, 01:25 AM
sirsid27

Anybody know where I can get a spare prop. Like a bonehead I broke one. I'll bet I can't.

Sid
Old 11-11-2005, 10:59 AM
PigBoat_2

ah geez i always thought that the ace comes with multiple props... maybe if you have another mini plane with the same size prop you can pull it off and use that...

still wondering what kind of wire to use to extend the antenna...?

PB_2
Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 AM
PigBoat_2

one more thing to sirsid...maybe if you're feeling real good, go back to toys r us where you bought the plane and open another that they have on the shelf and just plain jack a prop. or maybe, to be safe, just tell them that the plane only came with one prop and you want another...
Old 11-11-2005, 12:52 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

i have contacted spinmasters about the props in the past. they basically said since the AeroAce is still pretty new, they havent gotten to it yet, but there will be replacement parts, including props, available. i sent them an email last night to get an ETA on them, so i should hear back later today. you can try using Estes Aero-X props, but you'll have to rewire one of the motors so it runs in the opposite direction because they're not counter rotating like the AeroAce's.

as for antenna wire, if you have an old timer, or an old clock, take it apart and use the wire that is in the coil. or, just find the smallest gage wire you can and use it. it doesnt have to be anything special really.

nick
Old 11-11-2005, 02:48 PM
sirsid27

I used a peice of fine Litz wire that I happened to have.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 PM
sirsid27

And saddle some kid with a single prop plane that he would just have to exchange, Ho, Ho. Think I will just wait for spares or just switch to "Wattage Micro Flyer" they fly much better anyway.

Sid
Old 11-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Aeroplane1979

I got a free Aero Ace as well. I took the surveys and spinkids.com and completely forgot about it until I got a package from UPS yesterday. I probably ran through 4 charges today flying in in my shop. Hey, mine was free but I certainly would have been happy to pay $30 for this little wonder!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Vagabond

Well, after reading about all the fun everyone is having with their AHAA, I put it on my Christmas wish list. Then last night I was at the mall and went into TRU; low and behold, there were 3 on the shelf...but only 3. My wife agreed I should buy one now since they might go out of stock. We got home around 11PM, and I was out flying under the spotlight in the driveway. :-) Today I flew it a bunch more, winds were fairly calm. Maybe not quite as calm as recommended, but calm enough. I bet we have 60-90 minutes of flight time on it already. Robin even flew it today and couldn't stop smiling. And is it durable too! I've bouced it off the car, house, driveway, trees...no damage. Which leads me to another question...if I take off the bottom wing, it looks like it will expose the motors/props to damage. Has anyone had damage after taking off the wing? i'm having too much fun to risk breaking it right now. :-)
Gerry
Old 11-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Aeroplane1979

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement tail or have a good suggestion for a material I can fab a new one out of? That seems to be the one vulnerable part of the plane- mine isn't trashed yet, but I'd like to be prepard for when it is.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:17 AM
rolandmi

Kinda wondering about that myself. I made a replacment out of Bass wood as well as Blasa, but both are too heavy.....Going to try Hobby lobby to see if they have any foam that could be used. Hobby-Town USA did not have anything to offer other than the Bass or Balsa.....was also thinking about using a foam "plate" I seem to remember it being almost like this material. I really wish that they would start selling the replacment parts for this thing.....
Old 11-14-2005, 11:05 AM
meegosh

I just stopped at the local TRU and I saw they had two AeroAce's there. Is there any way to tell which channel (1,2,3) it is using from just looking at the box? I was going to purchase them both on the spot but not even 1 minute after I walked in at 6:54pm I heard the dreaded, "Dear customers, the store will be closing in five minutes, thank you." Aww!!! Had to hurry, found them but didn't want to buy them both if they were on the same channel so I snuck them in behind one of those pump rocket boxes. I am going to go back today and pick them up if they are on seperate channels. Any idea on how to tell?

Should i even attempt flying this plane stock or should I mod both of them out before I fly? Thanks in advance, I will post some pictures of me and the wifey flying tonight if all goes well!!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Tommyr

Should i even attempt flying this plane stock or should I mod both of them out before I fly? Thanks in advance, I will post some pictures of me and the wifey flying tonight if all goes well!!

Fly it stock first! It's a blast! Have fun!

Tom
Old 11-14-2005, 12:35 PM
meegosh

Any markings on the box that will let me know whether or not they are on seperate channels? I cannot wait!!!! T minus 4 hours 30 minutes till purchase/maiden Hopefully they are on seperate channels so we can fly them together!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Tommyr

Any markings on the box that will let me know whether or not they are on seperate channels? I cannot wait!!!! T minus 4 hours 30 minutes till purchase/maiden Hopefully they are on seperate channels so we can fly them together!

Yes the back of the box lists them all.

The BOTTOM of the FRONT of the box shows the models and the one that's in the box is checked.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.