Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

great planes wrightflyer

Old 09-26-2005, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default great planes wrightflyer

im new to the smaller side of electrics and the chance came up for me to try my luck when we marked the wright flyer down 80% at work. looked good but had a few queryable parts in the instructions. the ailerons had to be cut out partially leaving about 4 10mm " hinges in the foam. i scrapped this idea as my little 9 gram servo had a hard time getting the required throws, good old sticky tape was used to fix the problem. then i had the elevator control connection problem. there was not a thing in the instructions to remidy the "elevon" effect that the canards seemed to do, one side would always be up more then the other and it would change trim. i ignored this being only $38 and went for the maiden flight anyway. i managed to keep it up but it wasnt easy at all. it was very unpredictable and full power was needed to have any sort of control. i was very dissapointed as i wanted to have an indoor flyer but there was no way in hell this thing would fly slow enough for indoor. i did not know that the geared motors had adjustable thrust line, only way i noticed is when they loosened up and mid flight the prop hit the wing. after soughting that out it didnt seem too bad to fly but the elevator was still playing with the roll trim. for the plot of this story read, didnt go straight, couldnt avoid tree, now its in the bin and im up 2 small geared motors and a speedcontrol and 350mah pack.

Old 09-26-2005, 06:12 AM

Default RE: great planes wrightflyer

If its any consolation I also brought this model for indoor flying, Even at its slowest it flew straight into the end wall and wiped out most of the breakable components in one go. The battery pack is quite nice and the speed controlled will come in handy so not a complete waste.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:04 AM

damn, one thing i found is that you do need to run both motors with the set up it came with. i wanted to make a pusher prop trainer with one motor but it over heats big time by its self, even after i cut the prop down a little
Old 10-10-2005, 06:42 PM

GT Jumper and Nickbooth,

This may be a mute point since both of you seemed to have crashed the GP Wright Flyer beyond repair. But first, the WF is not an INdoor flyer....guess you found that out eh!. secondly, it is a wind speed specfic OUTdoor flyer (not over 8 mph period!). thirdly, to fix the elevator problem; make certain the control horn is centered on the crossrod and install it in the second hole IN on the horn. It will align perfectly. Fourth, I used micro servos with 11 in/oz torque and did NOT cut the ailerons as the torque was sufficient to actuate them and kept the wing more structually sound.
Flown in its proper enviroment, the GP Wright Flyer is a engineering marvel, The Wright Brothers would have been proud that their otherwise quirky little airplane could actualy fly so well. I have 87 flights on mine over a years time and have made no mods to it other than beefing up the motor mounts (to keep the prop off the wing) and switched to a 600 mAh battery for more air time. The only damage I incurred thus far is a bent prop shaft and a nicked wing when the prop hit it on a less than perfect landing once....oops. Great Planes sent me the replacements free. Sorry you had trouble with this plane as it is a very predictable and fun plane to fly, not to mention the attention it draws by even the most ardent flyers. I also have the Megatech Wright Flyer that I purchased on Ebay for $12 + shipping..........well that thing is another story!![]

Jim
Old 10-14-2005, 06:13 PM

it26b,
i know some ppl had better luck with there aircraft but mine was a complete flop. i followed the instructions to a tea appart from cutting out the aileron and using hinge tape, this does not hurt the structural integrity but just mad the servos jobe easy. the servo was straight from my 3d flyer which happen to be nearly twice the weight. the elevator rod was put into the hole the instuctions pointed out and still wouldnt centre, it would start centered but end up to one side by atleast 8mm travel. i was thinkin of cutting them too but i thought as they was so close together i didnt think it would have that much on effect. my props wasnt done up tight abd neither was the thrust angle screws, and with out glue the came loose like screen door (i put this to the cheap props being so unbalanced). it was a pig to get trimmed, it reacted so slowly and didnt fly straight at all. i got all of about 4 flights out of it (the best one was in wind when i got it right up high). i have built a few planes in my time with every one of them a great success, either this plane was just to docile for my liking, or it was a dud kit. i got it cheap and still came out on top with the parts it came with (whats a cool lookin twin i can make outta depron?).
Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 PM
My Feedback: (1)

if you're looking for a smaller version of the wright flyer, that can be flown indoors (depending on the size of your indoor arena, of course), you can pick up one of these: http://www.megatech.com/product_deta...ft.php?ID=7703

Graupner made one too, almost asthetically identicle, but they seem to be discontinued. they're thrust differential controlled via 2 N20 DD motors and a little 6 cell NiMH pack (i'm sure easily upgraded to lipo power). before i got the aeroace, this was the best thrust differential controlled plane i've flown. nice turns, wont stall out unless you force it, and if the RX is upgraded to a proportional setup, it'd be even better (the bang bang system does work well enough though).

the frame is plastic, and the wings are foam. not sure what kind of foam, but they do tear easily, but can be repaired with tape even easier.