Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
 wattage rookie micro flyer or wattage micro flyer >

wattage rookie micro flyer or wattage micro flyer

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

wattage rookie micro flyer or wattage micro flyer

Old 11-02-2005, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wattage rookie micro flyer or wattage micro flyer

i was just wondering if theres a big difference between the wattage micro flyer and the new wattage rookie micro flyer?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:58 AM

Default RE: wattage rookie micro flyer or wattage micro flyer

It appears that the rookie version is just that, for a rookie. Seems to be more forgiving based on construction when compared to the Micro Flyer. There is some differences however:

Wattage Rookie Micro Flyer:
- 6 mins flight time
- .06 ounces.
- 9.4" wingspan
- 9.2" length
- 2 channel
- LiPo batt

Wattage Micro Flyer:
- 6 min flight time
- 2.0 ounces
- 9" wingspan
- 8.2" length
- 150 mAh LiPo
- 2 channel

** Seems like the range on the 49 hz bands suck. I would suggest getting one on the 27 band. **
Old 11-13-2005, 05:00 PM
My Feedback: (16)

I was also wondering if the rookie would be more durable. I had a micro flyer, and I crashed into a wall (dang catchy commericals on stuff I don't need and/or don't want ) and broke off the vertical stab and rudder, and snapped the copper wires.
Old 11-13-2005, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (1)

i've owned a few micro flyers, and have read lots on them on another forum. it seems hit or miss on how well one will fly compared to the next (the 3 or 4 of mine all worked fine though). i havent gotten the Rookie yet, but have read up on them as well and from what i've heard, it sounds like the better bet. the micro flyer is gear driven, so its a little more noisy, plus its a puller so if you nose in hard enough, you could break the gear box or the gears themselves - guess how i know. the rookie is a pusher and is direct drive, so its more quite and no matter how hard you nose in, you wont hurt the motor or prop. lots of people have been quite pleased with the rookie, they seem to handle wind well and the range issues of the micro flyer seem to have been fixed in the rookie. if one were to lighten the airframe as much as possible, and put in some plantraco equipment, it could be a nice indoor slow flyer. i'm looking forward to getting one. of course, if you've already owned a micro flyer, you could build a Rookie type airframe relatively easily and use the RX and lipo from the micro flyer and save some cash.

nick
Old 11-13-2005, 05:54 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Thank you. I was looking at possible upgrades for my micro flyer, and the calculator says nearly $100! Not sure if its worth it, though. Here is what I've been looking at. (While browsing on Tower, I was freaking out when one Rx weighed 1.1 grams more than another! )

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKBF2&P=0]Electrifly Nano Brushed ESC[/link] 5.5 grams
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHD9&P=7]Electrifly Li Po 350mAh, 7.4v[/link] 25 grams!!! I'll probably look for a 3.7v 350mAh one at my LHS.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXGJY0&P=V]Futaba S3109 Micro Servo with Micro Plug[/link] 6.5 grams. I plan to use this so when I give any rudder, the servo pushes another pushrod to give up elevator.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFT1&P=0]Futaba Ultra Micro Rx with Micro Plugs[/link] 7.3 grams without case.

Thats a grand total of 44.3 grams or 1.5626 ounces and nearly $100 worth of stuff, not to mention I got to cut holes to slide everything in. I'm going to start shopping around to see how much of the stuff I can find used, if possible.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

the electronics in the rookie and microflyer do well enough for what they're meant for. but, if you wanted to burn some cash and go lighter, theres these possibilities:

JMP 3 channel proportional RX/esc combo, 2 grams, 95-110 dollars (i've got a JMP, it works great)

plantraco 170mah cell, or kokam 140, both around 5 grams, up to 10 dollars (for the micro flyer or the rookie, it shouldnt require anything more than a 170mah cell. the micro flyer comes with a 145mah, for instance)

MiniAct PnP actuator, 1 gram, 22 dollars (a servo in this small of a plane isnt needed, an actuator would work perfectly, as is why the micro flyer and the rookie come with one installed)

the cost for all that could easily to 140-150 dollars, but it would all only weigh 8 or 9 grams. if you really wanted to splurge, the lightest plantraco equipment could come up to about 3 grams (thats the RX/ESC combo, actuator, motor, and lipo, all for around 250+ dollars).

i certainly wouldnt say it would be worth it to spend that kinda money on a 30 dollar RTF plane, but that same equipment will last forever and let you build and fly loads of other planes. i've had the same JMP rx/esc combo, actuators, and motors for almost a year now and have built more planes than i can actually remember. so, if you're really wanting to get into the micro thing, its a pretty worth while investment.

this site: http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/ can give you everything i listed above, and more. they're one of the best micro RC vendors out there. along with http://www.slowfly.com/index.chtml and http://plantraco.com/hobbies/ you could also try ebay.com to see if they have any used equipment.

nick
Old 01-22-2006, 11:04 AM

I just got the Wattage Rookie and it is a blast. Anyone know an economical way to beef up flight times?
Old 05-04-2006, 09:12 PM

I finally pulled my Rookie out of its box from Christmas!!! I love it! Better than the Intruder.

Does anyone charge the lipo any other way than the controller ?

I was thinking about trying to use my Quatro Pro Li Po charger. It will do 1-4 cells...any thoughts?

The controler that comes with the Rookie really eats up AA batteries it you have a good weekend.

Just ordered a second battery, too long to wait 45 minutes for next flight.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:52 PM

I've flown both, micro flyer and rookie.
I really love my rookie. It's more stable than micro flyer yet, it can do diving spins if you hold on th rudder on high altitude.
It can also glide very well. On my rookie, I 'm using hitec focus 3 radio, A small (my friend made) mini reciver 3 ch. Right now I have delta mix on my rookie. On the wing you can see factory made optional aileron mixing. I used small miniacts for that.And my battery is kokam 140, as you mentioned above. My weight is an impressive 0.9 ounces.Right now, I'm trying to make my own brushless motor w/o case. My friend is an expert and I can get good advice from him . I can also power it by small astro brushless motor.
I've tryed many aerobatics high above and so far I've made crappy rolls, a stalled loops and spins. I'm planning to make the control surfaces larger and fill in the wing, to make it symmetrical.
Has anyone tryed different props in the stock motor? I wanna try a larger prop to get better loops.

It's an impressie performer.

Paul [8D]
Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 PM

i had a microflyer and tried to fly it in dead calm air and the wind picked up and it flew away.$$$$ down the drain[:@]
Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 PM

The rookie is real cool.......takes a beating. Finaly broke a with but of course I have a spare plane.
The Micro flyer don't fly too well. I think it has a gear reduction motor in it. Not as stable as my Rookie. I really thought it would be because its like a mini Lazy Bee which I love.

I now charge my Li-Po Rookie batteries with my Lipo charger. Made a base for it and it was ok but when my Micro FLyer broke (wings and tail feathers) I cut out the battery holder part and wired that up so I can use it for a charging mount to charge normaly with my Lipo charger.

The best plane yet is the Air Hogs Aero Ace. so so cool. ya gotta try one. its the cats meow. lol
I was flying the ROokie and the Aero Ace today at a car dealership waiting for my Jeep to get serviced and two of their employees (sales and service) wrote down the info on the Aero Ace and where to buy one.

Love these foamies............!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:34 PM
My Feedback: (66)

Anyone know were to get one of the Rookie by wattage I looked at hobbytron but they say out of stock and no back orders.
thnaks wr450
Old 12-03-2010, 05:19 PM
My Feedback: (81)

Should have been around me about 3 months ago. I threw one away because I couldn't even sell it on Craigslist[&o]

Get something better, like a Vapor, or Ember or any of the micro planes out there.