Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
 Help select cheap rtf heli please! >

Help select cheap rtf heli please!

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Help select cheap rtf heli please!

Old 11-04-2005, 12:05 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help select cheap rtf heli please!

Hi i would like to get into rc helicopters, but i want to try something thats cheap and rtf out first. I know these helis aren't all that great, but i just want something i can fly indoor for now and see how i like it. With that said, can you guys please tell me which heli out of the list would be the most "flyable" thanks.

Please check this site out and help me select: [link=http://www.hobbytron.com/RCHelicopters.html]hobbytron helis[/link]

Winner Full Function Electric RC Helicopter 3 CH With Double Blades
Sky Shadow Full Function Electric RC Helicopter
Dragonfly Full Function Mini RC Electric Helicopter With Double Blades
RC Aerobus Electric Helicopter with Launch Pad
RC Electric 3 Ch Mini Helicopter

Old 11-05-2005, 09:57 AM

Default RE: Help select cheap rtf heli please!

what sort of heli are u looking for?
fixed/collective pitched?

are u looking for a really small one?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:59 AM

a heli similar to the blade runner, but cheaper.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:38 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Get the Spin Blade heli from Radio Shack...A lot of fun and the most durable heli like this I have seen...Don't bother with the Dragonfly King from HobbyTron. I have one of those also and it worked for about 3 flights then one of the motors quit working already, so only the top rotor turns rendering the heli useless, and HobbyTron won't reply about the problem, so you may want to consider buying a heli from somewhere else...ie Radio Shack. At least you can take it back if you had a problem, which I don't think you will...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:02 AM

I've had a BR (fun and very easy to fly, but real limited), and have 2 Piccolos (1 I bought just for spare parts). I'd fly it a couple of times, break it, wait a couple of weeks for spare parts, fix it and repeat.

Now I have the Sabre from Hobby People. It was $120 (on sale a few weeks ago, $150 regular) RTF with everything, set up and ready to fly. All you do is add dry AA baterries in the TX, charge the flight pack with the supplied wall charger, and fly. I got more flying out of it the first few few days than I was ever able to get with the Piccolo, and finally learned to fly a helicopter. It is sturdier, half the price, and also easier to fly. Maybe it is just set up right... It will fly for 7 or 8 minutes on the supplied battery, but changing to the LiPoly I have in the Piccolo would give ~18 minute flights at the same weight... Either one gives plenty of flying time.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the replies, i think i might just spend a bit more and get a real rc heli instead of a "toy" rc heli that i was thinking about getting.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:56 AM
My Feedback: (10)

If you have little or no experience i know of only one heli that will make you a successfull heli pilot without frustration.

It isn't as cheap as the radio shack or ebay helis out there but consider this one seriously.

Hirobo xrb lama sr. Preferably the untethered version.

reason; it behaves exactly like a large gas trainer heli but can do it in any indoor environment. Nothing on it breaks except for rotors so no waiting for parts to arrive etc... and most hobby shops have all the parts for these in stock if you do manage to break something. Success rate is 100% with this thing. While the other guys are frustrated and waiting for expensive parts the lama pilot is perfecting his reverse figure 8's in the comfort of his favourite chair. Everyone who buys this ends up buying and flying a big gas heli safely and successfully.

This thing is steady as a mountain goat, has a gyro and all that jazz... Really easy to fly and setup. But the greatest thing is the way they went into details with the xrb's systems to make it fly as if it was a real large gas heli (fixed pitch of course) put it in an experienced heli pilot's hands they are amazed that a heli this small and unconventionnal can fly like the largest trainer helis out there, and inside!
Old 11-26-2005, 07:47 PM

I own a Spin Blade, very fun. Not much forward movement though...but still fun

If you plan to step up to bigger and better helis, don't go with a spin blade. It behaves like a 2 ch plane rather than a heli.