Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Power Package for Cobweb II

Old 11-26-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Package for Cobweb II

I am looking to purchase a Cobweb II (Hobby-Lobby) kit and I wanted to know what would be a good power package to get with it (servos, lipo bat, brushless motor, and rec). Here's what I am looking at right now.

Feigao 36 12x30mm Brushless Motor (equal to GWS IPS motor)
Electron 6 Channel Receiver
Hitec Neon 3 Channel 72MHz Transmitter
Two HS-81 Servos
BP 10A Brushless ESC
E-TEC POLY LITHIUM BATTERY 7.4V 450MAH

I know there are a lot of opinions out there, but I just wanted to know if this was a good setup? If not, please recommend something else. I mean, is this powerful enough? Do I need something different? Something not look right in this setup? If you see anything wrong with the compatibility of these parts to each other or the Cobweb II kit, please feel free to make suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Power Package for Cobweb II

Keep it light. This is the single most important thing.

Use about half of the length of the "motor extension piece" for the GWS drive. I wouldn't use the HS-81's. Too much servo and too heavy. Use the HS-50 or 55. Better yet, use the Cirrus CS-101 coreless. Only 4 grams each. When you mount your servos, make a sandwich mount around the tube. This will keep them from snapping off in a hard landing. Same thing for the battery and receiver. You might think about using a 4ch Nano receiver too. Your battery is just right and so is your esc. I used a GWS 10-4.7 prop. Just keep it light.

This little thing will loop in about 3 feet. Rolls take a lot of space, but if you keep the nose up and speed down, they look pretty good. Harriers are easy and you can harrier to a landing with no roll out. Hovers are do-able, but the drive system is a little weak for 3-D. This plane doesn't seem to exhibit the pitchiness that the Slow Jazz does either. Enjoy it.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:41 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I have the Backyard Hobbies Bugz 'Skimmer', no longer made, but is identical to the Cobweb; I used all GWS stuff and it works fine, with ETech Litium Batteries; a lot cheaper too; My 2 Cents worth.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:25 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Mine has:
MPS-2A power system (DJ Aerotech), Pixie7P esc, 2 cell 250 lipoly pack, Spread Spectrum receiver.
3.8 ounces--what a floater, really flies slow at that weight, turns VERY tight, if you want. More aerobatic with a 3 cell pack, small weight increase.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I purchased a plane called the "butterfly" from Northeast sailplane products that looks identical to the cobweb II. I put in the cirrus micro joule flight pack(2 servos a receiver and a brushed controller at 13 grams, .5 ounce), a EDP-50 Direct Drive motor(15 grams, .5 ounce), and use two 170 Mag Li-Po( 10 grams, third of an ounce). The thing is so light it just floats and if there is any wind at all it get's blown away, so I don't really recommend the set up. I wanted to thermal with it and if there was wind float it above my house, but I have not yet been able to succeed. On days with no wind though it is fun to just put around in front of my house with the neighborhood kids trying to chase it down.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:52 PM

The Feigao brushless in a GWS IPS gearbox works great on the Cobweb - you can even hover with it! I use a 450 mAh battery too. I concur with J Grav - don't use HS-81's, HS-55's are lighter but still have enough torque. I also recommend using a lighter receiver. The Electron 6 is 0.6 ounce. An FMA M5 is half that weight, and one of the new Berg 4L's is only 0.14 oz. I would go with the Berg (if you can find one).

Roger