Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Jasman "Spin Blade" RTF heli

Old 11-26-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jasman "Spin Blade" RTF heli

Anyone own one of these? Only 2 channels, but much more durable than any of the other helis. Does anyone else own one of these? I'm searching for some mods.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Jasman "Spin Blade" RTF heli

yep, i've got one of these. very durable indeed, even after i removed the rotor safety cage, it has withstood many crashes. i own a BladeRunner as well and i love it, but this SpinBlade could give it a run for its money in terms of stability and control.

only mods i've done so far were to remove the foam body shell and remove the rotor safety cage. doing both those simple things gave me a few more minutes in flight time and also increased the over all control of the heli. i also lubed up the gears to reduce any friction and i added some micro connectors to the lipo so i could charge the cell with my own charger. one other simple thing to do is slide the lipo as far forward on the RX as possible, you can get some pretty good forward speed doing this.

there have been a lot of mods done to this thing, some have converted it to a three motor configuration, with two main drive motors and the little 4mm tail motor (sort of like a cross between the SB and BR). and some have kept the single drive motor, but used two tail motors, one for forward control, one for left and right control (both these setups used a differant rx/esc).

i'm currently working on a 6" bladerunner, but once thats done i'll be trying to build a smaller version of the SpinBlade as well. i had posted about the SpinBlade here a while ago, accidently saying it was 30 bucks (i was thinking of the aeroace), but for only 60 dollars, i'd suggest it to anyone.

nick
Old 11-28-2005, 08:35 PM

I actually have the batt as far forward as possible but I still don't go forward well. I'll figure it out later.

I have removed the cage (actually my brother broke it and I took all of it off)

One mod that I heard was really good was to use a BR tail rotor instead of the stock. It is bigger, but has around the same pitch, weight, and fits onto the motor very easily. Massive performance increase in turning. Very nice...I have put this thing through so much punishment. My parents won't like me just taking the body off, so I'm going to wait for an excuse (ie: it breaks)
Old 11-28-2005, 10:53 PM

i put the very end of the lipo at the very end of the RX, its out as far as physically possible. it's not a breakneck speed, but enough for my living room. if you want faster speed, glue on a little tab of balsa or any other material to the RX, that will let you move the lipo even further out. at one point, i had the lipo about a half inch out in front of the RX and it was too fast for my living room - this thing will really cruise if you move the CG far enough.

i had built a little battery/CG shifter out of a single channel RX pen car. i used a 4mm pager motor connected to the IR RX, the 4mm drove a larger spur gear and that was attatched to the battery via small bit of guitar string. the whole thing weighed about a gram and a half or so and was wired into the lipo so i didnt have to add any weight of a 2nd battery. when i hit the throttle button on the IR TX, it would shift the battery forward, giving it forward movement. when i hit reverse on the IR TX, it would pull the battery back and keep the heli in a neutral hover. it worked ok, but i need a larger spur gear to get more movement of the lipo. i've got pictures if you're interested.

using the BRs tail rotor does work well, but after i got used to adjusting the pitch of the rotors themselves to keep it from turning on its own, i found the bigger BR tail rotor to give too much power and it would turn too easily. those little 4mm pager motors are hit or miss on how well they work - some really zing while some dont have much punch at all, i might just have a stronger one.

i can now control the heli pretty well, i can fly it into an open microwave oven and land it, then fly out. i had it hovering above our ceiling fan at one point, but that was a bit too nerve racking. for 60 bucks, it really cant be beat.

nick
Old 11-29-2005, 04:41 PM

Where can I buy a spin blade?

RK
Old 11-29-2005, 06:05 PM

cptcrusty, they're sold at Radio Shack only: http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...w=spin%20blade here's the companies website too: http://www.flight-factory.com/

i must say, the heli looks a lot nicer without the body and rotor cage. i cant help but notice the SpinBlade 2 (under development) on flight factorys website. should be interesting when it comes out.

nick
Old 01-11-2006, 06:18 PM

wow... seems like this thread has gone kinda cold, but I do have a cool mod to suggest.

if you still have the rotor cage on, then you can make a partial duct out of press n' seal on the back of the cage right above the boom. I used about 1 3/4 in. wide it provides a little forward motion (especially in ground effect) and really adds to the stability of the machine. just slit the bottom where the support comes up from the tail boom to the cage and wrap it around to stick to itself. you could also use packaging tape or possibly saran wrap