Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

micro flyer vs. aero ace... which is better?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

micro flyer vs. aero ace... which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Foxracer117
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default micro flyer vs. aero ace... which is better?

ok so i want a cheap micro airplane. i am an experienced gas airplane flier but want something to mess around with in the front yard... both planes seem to be great. but which will i enjoy more? which has more control? faster? agile? etc.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:52 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: micro flyer vs. aero ace... which is better?

i think you'll have a better time with the AeroAce. i do like the MicroFlyer, but for the same 30 dollars, i'd go with the AA.

the microflyer is more conventional with a single motor/gearbox and rudder, while the AA is twin motor/thrust differential. both are 2 channel, but on this small of plane, an elevator isnt really needed, throttle works pleanty well to gain altitude.

the microflyer doesnt hold up quite as well to crashes, since its a tractor, the prop/gearbox/motor absorbes all the impact from a nose-in, the AA is a pusher, so the motors/props are protected quite well.

from my own experience, and from reading others, the microflyer is a hit or miss on how well it'll fly out of the box. this goes for the AA too, but the microflyer can be a bit more of a pain to get flying right.

i'd say overall control goes to the AA, it can turn hard enough to fly in a living room without tipping into the turn and falling (flying=going in fast circles).

the microflyer is probably faster out of the box, but its heavier too at 28 or 29 grams i think, but dont quote me on that. the AA comes in at 19.2 and can easily be brought down to around 15-17 grams. the microflyer can be brought down to a pretty good weight too, but it involves more surgery.

neither plane are well suited for winds above 5mph, but both can handle it with proper throttle and steering control. but, since the microflyer is heavier, it'll cut through the wind a bit better. i'd say go with the AeroAce, personally. both planes are good in their own way, but overall, the AA wins.

since both are 30 dollars, you could just get both and find out actually, the WattAge Rookie isnt a bad flyer either, its a pusher too, with no gearbox so it handles nose-ins a LOT better, but the foam isnt EPP so it still doesnt handle a beating like the AA (you can step on an AA and it'll still fly).

nick