Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Plantraco Butterfly "Tuning" ?

Old 02-12-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plantraco Butterfly "Tuning" ?

Folk,

If any of you have a plantraco butterfly, does yours lack the will to turn right? Unless I apply full right trim on the Tx, mine will fly beautiful left circles the entire battery... however even with it trimmed to /almost/ fly straight, it doesn't seem to have the ability to turn right... it pretty much seems to stall on a right turn (i.e., will "dolphin"). I can give it more throttle to turn right, but it is weak at best and requires significantly more room than that of a left turn.

Mine has been this way since I got it.... after a multitude of repairs I've still been unable to remove this tendancy. I'm hoping it is something in this particular airframe and am considering returning it to plantraco for a new frame.....

I'd appreciate any inputs that might would assist with getting the butterfly more neutral between left and right...

-jbl
Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Plantraco Butterfly "Tuning" ?

JBL,

sounds like it might be your thrust angle. check to see how much the motor is pointing down and to the right. it should be down and to the right a few degrees. try tweaking the motor stick around to see if that helps. also, check the main wing and the tail fins, they may be out of whack a little bit. however, you can get a replacement butterfly frame for only 20 bucks, so if all else fails, give plantraco a call or email. they're pretty good about helping out.

nick
Old 02-12-2006, 07:25 PM

micro_builder; thank you for the response. I guess I was a bit terse in my inquiry.... I've tweaked the motor thrust/angle enough that I'm nearing to the point of stress cracks on the plastic gear mount. Airframes are cheap, it's the whole "removing the elctronics from the current airframe without breaking the wires" that concerns me there.. I'd probalby wuss out and send it to them to be done.

Just after I posted this I made a few more tweaks to the airframe and can now make right turns in the depth of my living room (~12ft) about 70% of the time... contrast that to left turns in 2-3 ft.. but still, an improvement!

I've emailed plantraco with a similar query.. I'll see what they say.

Thanks again!

-jbl
Old 02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi JBL,

I have had this problem a couple of times with my Butterfly. I am assuming that the actuator works ok? For what it is worth, every time I have had this problem, there was always a little break in the frame that I hadn't noticed, especially at the center post (where the wing joins the frame) or on the curvature at the tip of the wing. You have probably already checked these, but for what it's worth, that was usually the cause of my Butterfly turning problems. Hope you aren't buried in snow. I lived in Durham before moving overseas, and saw in the NYT that the big storm made it as far south as N.Carolina
Dale in Singapore
Old 02-14-2006, 08:17 PM

tokteacher,

Thank you for your inputs. I will investigate all joints/etc closely once again. Plantraco suggested that I go find a wide area to fly it in (gymnasium, etc) after removing all rudder trim. It will pull to the left. Land it and crush the motor into the wood to move it towards the right... keep doing that until it flys straight with little/no rudder trim then CA it all down good again.....

-jbl