Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Rookie vs Aero Ace

Old 02-16-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie vs Aero Ace

I can't decide. I have seen a rookie sloped in some decent wind, but never seen a Aero Ace fly. I am leaning toward the Rookie for better control in the wind, but am interested in the Aero Ace for longer flight times. Can anyone who HAS USED BOTH.. give a comparison for me.

Please...

and

thank you
Old 02-16-2006, 12:51 PM

Default RE: Rookie vs Aero Ace

sorry for duplicates.. this was my first post Please reply on this thread.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:10 PM
My Feedback: (1)

i own/fly both. the AA gets my vote, personally.

the Rookie doesnt handle crashes as well as the AA, the wing will crack pretty easily since its not made out of EPP like the AA.
the Rookie doesnt have much flight time as the AA. if one were to shave as much weight off the rookie as possible, and swap out the N20 for an M20, maybe even a 7mm SS motor, the flight times might be better.
the Rookie is pretty quick in comparison to the AA, so it needs more space to fly in. i also think the AA can out manuver the Rookie in turns. the AA can fly in a much smaller area than the Rookie can.
i've flown both planes in pretty windy conditions, and i still chose the AA. the rookie doesnt handle gusts very well, most of the time it seems to just toss it into the ground. of course, the flip side is that an AA in high wind may just fly away into oblivion.
there's also the fact that the TX on the rookie is terrible with those little buttons, and its not proportional control either, as the AA is semi-proportional.
one nice thing about the rookie is that if you make your own planes with the electronics, you're not bound to twin engine designs. you can do conventional aircrafts.

these are just my own observations with flying both, a few people still like the rookie more than the AA. both are only about 30 bucks though, so even if you get one and you dont like it, its not like you just wasted 200 bucks. i dont know if any of this helps you decide, but it at least might give you an idea of what to expect.

nick
Old 02-16-2006, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the report. I went down to TRU today that was going out of business 30-50% off... but they were all sold out. Luckily next door was a Target and they had 3 on the shelf. I picked up the AA out of pure convenience, and am glad that I did, because flight time and tight space are my biggest requirements. If its windy I will just head indoors.

Thanks again for the post.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:52 PM

Yeah with the AA you can actually bend the wings into whatever form you want and they practically fix themselves. I've done things to an AA that I wouldn't dare with a rookie. (I don't actually own a rookie, but I am friends with someone who does)
Old 02-17-2006, 11:10 PM

AA handled much better in the wind that I would have thought from the posts that I read. I was down at the beach and it was blowing on shore pretty good. Managed to hide behind a lifegaurd tower to get some shelter from it, but when I braved out in to the wind I was able to bring it back to me... most of the time.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 AM

I've found that if you cut a little slot in the top of the nose and slip a dime in, or a paper clip, the added weight helps the AA a lot in the wind. It'll still get tossed around, but it keeps it from flying as high and gives it a bit of resistance.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:35 PM

yeah the aa does handle the wind ok. but if the windw gust up over 8mph it will take it away and it is hard to get it to come back . maybe it is just me but i think i am getting better in the though. a couple of nights ago i was out with both of my boys and flying . had it about 20 or so feet above me. i then ended up flying over the hight of the street lamp and evne higher. the wind kept it up there i was only at about 1/4 throttle. so yeah it does fly good. i have yet to try to get higher than that though