Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

coolest micro ever!

Old 02-25-2006, 01:40 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolest micro ever!

I built this tonight in about 2 hours or so. It is my first rc plane to make. okay.. I used the plans for the x-plank, but since I didnt have an aero ace, I used the electronics from my mach III blimp. these consist of 3 individually controlled motors. Instead of chopping the third motor off, I used it as a third propellor angled slightly up, to act as an elevator type thing. the other 2 motors are used for steering. the simplicity of this model is unbeleivable. even though I havent gotten the chance to properly fly it yet, I have done some glides and controlled crashes into the couch (lol) please give me your comments. (I hope my pictures work)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31628.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	415090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69332.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	415091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82681.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	415092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28657.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	415093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb35355.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	415094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lb46328.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	415095  
Old 02-25-2006, 05:05 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: coolest micro ever!

looks good, nice entry into the DIY world of micro RC planes.

if you were to buy or make an actuator, you could remove that 3rd middle motor and make it an actual elevator, but with the motor angled as it is, it should work like an elevator too (to some extent). also, depending on what size of battery, and how many, the blimp used originally, you could use a lipo cell to shed a little weight, then you could use some smaller motors like some 7mm SuperSlick motors. do you know how much it weighs by chance?

nick
Old 02-25-2006, 03:02 PM

it weighs about 2.5 oz and the original blimp flying times were around 2 hours. I recently cut a hole in the wing and put the battery and rx in it.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:35 PM

I just tried flying it today and EVERYTHING seems to be wrong with it. it was doing nicely for a short amount of time, but after about 5 feet, it would go straight down. the cog seems off, it is underpowered, and too heavy. Also, the range is about 20 feet. maybe I should just buy an aero ace and do it the proper way.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:56 PM

what shape is the air foil?(cross section). is is Asemetrical or symetrical? I don't think those motors put out much thrust as a guess so you probably need a good lifting asymetrical airfoil for any hope.

(symetrical/asymetrical examples)
http://www.planemath.com/activities/...thairfoils.gif

Also perhaps less battery weight. how many AAs are there? 6v worth? maybe find some photo batteries at walmart with higher voltage and less weight..maybe AAA or even AAAA(yes they make them).

Your first challenge is to make sure it will fly if you can gain some kind of control with the set up. When it "Crashes" does it nose down or up? if it noses down move the weight backwards..if it noses up and falls back move weight forward to get the Center of gravity right.

Does the motor you using for "elevator" have reverse? if so I have an idea. If you have enough thrust with the two motors you might be able to cut off half of the prop and glue the half that is left to a proper elevator. that way when you tell the motor to go forward it'll rotate the prop up and cause the elevator to go up..and vice versa for down.

as crazy as your airplane is I like it, it will require some "outside the box" thinking if you want it to fly. Reminds me of a something that would be rube goldbergs first airplane. You'll also have to determine if it actually has enough power to fly. GWS makes cheap motors and stuff you might want to look at if those motors/props wont do.

Keep at it. I like your inventive spirit.