Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Aero Ace repair

Old 03-13-2006, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero Ace repair

I lost my ace in the wind.... found it laying in some water...luckily it floats... so i tried it...everything worked... but i figured some moisture had gotten inside... so i opened it up... but rippped the wires off the board...
Three of the wires from the motors got ripped from the board. If any of you have any close-up photos to guide me in trying to fix it, that would be cool. Any tips on soldering etc would help as well. I can solder, but these wires are extremely small gauge and fragile.

Brian
Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Aero Ace repair

brian,

i dont have a pic of the actual RX with wires, but i did this drawing on my computer a while ago so i could remember what wires go where. it has come in handy many times

for soldering, just strip a few millimeters of the end of the broken wire and tin it with solder, then just solder the wire back to the RX. after soldering, check to make sure the new solder joints are secure and no excess solder has gone where it shouldnt (i.e. bridging two of the ouputs). just go slow and keep a steady hand, use lots of bright light and a magnifyer of some sort if possible, it helps a lot.

nick

*if it makes you feel better, at least you dont have to solder these...(2nd pic)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69882.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	425523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93112.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	425524  
Old 03-14-2006, 11:19 AM

Nick,

Now i dont feel so bad!! Those specks are tiny! What are they?

Thank you so much for the diagram. Now i have direction.

After tinning the wire, do i then lay it on the circuit board and apply heat on top of the wire? or should i heat the CB and then lay the wire down? I've not had a chance to solder a CB yet.

Brian
Old 03-14-2006, 10:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

no problem, Brian. the pic on the left is a .1UF capacitor, the one of the right is a 10UF cap. they're for my two 6mm motors i'll be using in my 5" heli. they help supress motor "noise" that causes a lot of interferance with the tiny AM RX i'm using.

as for soldering the wire to the PCB, you're correct. after you tin the tip of the wire, hold it to the board and apply heat. the solder on the wire and on the PCB will heat up and melt together and give a good solid connection. try to be quick with the soldering iron, just enough heat to melt the solder as quickly as possible. too much heat and it might burn out a transister on the board (guess how i know! )

if you're not comfortable doing it, try to find a hobby shop or other electronics place. they'll usually do a small soldering job like that for almost nothing.

nick