Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
 conquered aero ace, whats next step? >

conquered aero ace, whats next step?

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

conquered aero ace, whats next step?

Old 04-20-2006, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default conquered aero ace, whats next step?

Well I have 2 aero aces and love these little guys to death. I am considering getting a trick zagi, seeing as ive only flown an aero ace, how hard would it be to move to a wing?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: conquered aero ace, whats next step?

a wing is a completely differant beast compared to an AA. i've got an F-27B, which i suppose is actually a delta wing, but its close. a wing can be pretty docile in normal conditions, the stryker can fly in slow enough during a landing that catching it by hand is easier than bending over to pick it up. its also very manuverable, and fast. with minimal altitude, pulling 4 or 5 rolls is easy, inverted is maintained with just a few clicks on the stick, loops are almost too easy (you start wondering how close to the ground you can get during a loop...), and with the right electronics, you've got verticle performance up the wazoo.

2 years ago the stryker was the first real plane i ever flew, crashed it hard many many times, and all it takes is a little, or a lot, of two part epoxy and she's ready to fly again (EPP foam is the way to go). it took me a little bit to get used to how quick it is, but now it almost seems slow (new lipo this weekend, hopefully. that should help a little). i dont know what an RTF Zaggi goes for these days, but the RTF Stryker is only $140, and after flying one for over 2 years, i still love it.

note that these planes can cover a lot of ground in a short time, so having pleanty of space is really helpfull when you're first learning. you dont want to have to be worrying about that plane eating tree planted a few feet away there's lots of other options out there, check some of the other forums here in RCU, you're bound to find something that catches your eye.

nick
Old 04-20-2006, 07:57 PM

thanks for the response, I was checking out the stryker too. That may be the route I will go, I dont wanna get in over my head with a zagi, But I would like to get a brushless zagi tazz with a lipo somewhere down the road. I like the wings as opposed to other aircrafts, they seem much more durable.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 PM

Well I only have one arrow ace now [>:] My other ace is a casualty of high wind, and is MIA. But on the flip side, I took some time and ordered a f-27 stryker from hobbyzone, after some research on the plane I cant wait to get it, that plane seems like it has a huge following and looks like it will fit my needs perfect. Now all I need to do is convince my friends to get them so we can have air to air combat.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:10 PM

The Stryker is definately not meant for a beginner. I've seen tons of AA people go in over their heads so be sure about these things I'm going to tell you.

1) Start with the control throws at the VERY minimum.
2) When the manual says fly in 600x600 feet, they mean it. Football fields won't cut it here. And DEFINATELY don't fly in the area you fly your AA in unless it's huge. I've seen lots of AA people have mishaps cause they try to fly a real plane in their yard thinking it's like the AA.
3) The Stryker will seem so fast you'll almost die (almost) so be sure you know what you're doing.
4) When launching, throw it hard like a baseball, just throwing it won't cut it either.

I really want you to know that you are about to enter a completely and utterly different ballgame. Have you ever flown 3 channels before? Good Luck!!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 AM

The best next step from an Aero Ace is a 3-channel trainer with rudder/elevator/throttle control like the Slow Stick, Easy Star, etc.

If you are going to try an elevon model like the Stryker, I think you should first fly it on a computer model simulator like FMS. And be sure to use the hand-launch simulation and see how easily it crashes into the ground at launch.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:31 PM

After reading posts on the stryker, and watching videos on it, that thing moves and the FUTURE upgrade potentials are awesome! I might hold off in flying it for about a month, I just picked up an aerobird challenger off of ebay to mess around. A girl at my hobbyshop said this would be a good plane to start with. The girl was super knowledgeable, she has a challenger, a cub, and a scout which she said she hated.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

i was a complete beginer when i flew the stryker (i might have flown a crappy AirHogs defender at one point before this). it took a lot of hard hits that first week, but i got the hang of it, and realized that i dont have to fly a full throttle all the time, half throttle woks wonders! if you've got the basics of flying covered, you can fly the stryker. its just takes time, and an understanding that you will crash it. going from 2 channel to 3 isnt that big of a change i dont think, and going from R/E to elevons isnt too hard either. you can roll a plane that has a rudder, just like you could with elevons, they do the same thing, just in a differant way. i think the biggest differance is the proportional control you'll get going from the AA to any other hobby grade plane out there. it makes any plane a lot easier to controll.

but, the Aerobird Challenger is supposed to be a good plane too, and probably a little more well suited for a beginer than the stryker. either way, buy yourself some 2 part epoxy

nick