Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Shady AeroAce. Please help.....

Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shady AeroAce. Please help.....

I swear, this is a true story. If you don't believe it, I don't blame you, I wouldn't either if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

My red channel B AA does not like the sun. Yesterday, I flew it outside in the sunshine with 4 rechargeable NiMHs and 2 fairly new alkalines. No range problems. But, the reason I had the four NiMHs in it is because it wouldn't work with all 6 alkalines. I thought they were going dead, so I put the rechargeables in there, and that fixed the problem. But, last night, I put the other 4 alkalines back in and went outside and flew in the dark under the streetlight. The exact same set of batteries that wouldn't work yesterday afternoon worked perfectly last night. So, I tested these same batteries again today in the sun, and they don't work. Put 6 brand new alkalines in, still won't work in the sun. But here's the kicker: with either set of batteries, if I set the AA in the shade, I can walk all the way across the yard (about 100 feet) and still have perfect reception. But the second the AA hits the sun, no more reception. If the plane's in the sun, it won't even work with the receiver in one hand and the plane in the other 4 feet apart. You have to touch the antenna to the tail boom to activate the motors. So, the sun is keeping the AA from getting reception. It doesn't matter if I stand in the sun or shade with the receiver, same results. THIS IS TOTALLY BLOWING MY MIND!!!!!!!! First, why does being in the sun cause the AA to lose reception when it works perfectly in the shade? And second, why would using 2 alkaline batteries and 4 rechargeables cause it work in the sun when 6 regular alkaline batteries won't? Can anybody explain this phenomenon to me? If there was a Target in town I'd just take it back and get another, but the nearest one is an hour away. I'm stuck with this one for a while until I can get an evening off to go to Target....
Old 05-17-2006, 11:17 AM

Default RE: Shady AeroAce. Please help.....

It's definitely the sun. Set the plane on the hood of my truck in the sun, and from four feet away, no response. If I shade the top wing with my hand, immediate response. Uncover it, dies again. Shade it, responds. This is retarded.....

I do love my aeroace though!! Almost as much fun as my nitro planes, lol. Just really freaking me out right now....
Old 05-17-2006, 11:53 AM
My Feedback: (1)

WOW [X(] that would drive me crazy. I would think that electromagnetic radiation from the sun would be whats causing your problem. Perhaps if your antena is just enough out of tune this may effect it. I cant think of anything else. I would take the drive and get another plane, there so inexspensive and fun I wouldnt waste time messing with it.
But that would be a good problem for an electronics engineer.
Tim.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:06 PM

Did you get the vampire edition of the Aero Ace?
Old 05-17-2006, 02:25 PM

I think I did! That's a pretty good one. Too bad I have to trade it in, too, 'cause I love flying this one at night. It flies really good and the battery lasts a long time. Maybe I can convince the wife to let me keep this one and mod it into my lit up night time and indoor flyer, and get me and her new ones, so we'll have one of each channel... Hmmm......
Old 05-18-2006, 12:50 AM

Man, I hated trading that AA in today. It flew so great and so long. I knew it would happen, and sure enough the new one didn't fly quite as well as the first. So I took the bottom wing off and now it's awesome. My wife's new plane flies as well as my first one, and we'll leave it with both wings for her to fly and for slowflying, indoor, etc.

So now this thread can die in peace, the saga of the AeroAce "Vampire" has come to an end.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:13 AM

I can't believe you gave up the vampire. You had the ultimate party trick with that one. You might have even gotten on the David Letterman show! At a minimum, you had a way to shut up any airplane know-it-all that you ever meet. Just show him the airplane and say "explain this, smarty pants!"
Old 05-21-2006, 10:30 AM

I have an AA with the same problem.. Bought it from Amazon.com. They sent me a new one and I was able to keep the one with the problem running in the sun. I will dissassemble it someday but I am waiting to see if someone comes up with a fix for it. Mine was a red Ch. B also but another member in Michigan has 2 thet do this also. His were different colors and Channels so I dont think its related to the color. My second one flys fine in the sun. This really is FREAKY. I didnt put the stickers on the either plane yet. Maybe it would help.

Sunscreen maybe......LOL
Old 05-21-2006, 11:48 AM

Toader, I had seen your post about your sun-shy aeroace, after I made this one. That's really weird. I don't know how, but one afternoon I was able to fly in the sun with four rechargeable nimh batteries and two alkalines in the transmitter. Five minutes before I couldn't fly with all alkalines... Mine was a red channel B, too, but seems like since somebody else had the same trouble with a different channel, that's not it. I put the stickers on mine, didn't help. Maybe put a single layer of foil under the stickers that covers the main body? I thought about that, but never tried.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Never had that problem- fly at K-Mart's parking lot. After closing, Empty!! All that lighted space. LEO's go by, I wave, they wave. Got chased out of the school yard- no tresspassing after school hours.
Power wise, recharges hold 1.2 v, alky's etc, hold 1.5. Some guys are adding a 2 batt pack to the Xmitter, seems the PC will tolerate the extra V. Mebbe, try adding some wire to your air born antenna. Get the wire from dead watches, other small electrics. Those el cheepo timers have some usable wire, too. Good luck
Old 06-18-2006, 04:30 PM

Has anyone else had this problem, and figured out what it was? I have an AA that we purchased 5 days ago, and now it's doing the whole vampire thing too. It's a blue chanell B by the way. Only mods i've done was removing the bottom wings, added a landing gear, and replacing the back tail. The odd thing is, when it's in the sun, and not working, it will start to work if i squeeze the middle of the plane (like around the area of the battery). But, it will only work while i'm squeezing it.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:44 PM

i've had it but i haven't figured out what it was.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:20 PM

if you squeeze the fuselage, and it works ok, but then stops when you let go, it sounds like a loose wire.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:57 PM

I took it apart a few times now to check. I found no loose wires. Also, while i had it apart, i took it into the sun and played with the wires and such. No luck. Even while i had it apart, it just wouldn't do anything in the sun, but the instant i took it into the shade, no problems.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 PM

I have a one-tenth nocturnal Ace. Just got it yesterday, flew it around behind trees/houses, hidden from the sun. Later that day, I went to a neighbor's 4th of july party, flew it in their highly shaded backyard, still no problems. Then I went to the full-sun front yard, and what happens? I take off uneventfully, then, 3 seconds into the flight, 8 feet up, it died. I retrieved it, tested it, and it appeared to R.I.P. BUT, when I turned it off then back on, it was raised from the dead! Now it has the same problem, but the motors only quit for 1-2 seconds, then start up again. Wierd.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:46 PM

Someone posted on the other forum a few months back claiming
the plane worked great when he tested it in the house but as soon
as he walked outside- it died. Plane in the house, great! Plane outside
the door- dead.
Everyone thought it was interference or power lines and no one had
the answer. Now we know (to some degree) of a strange breed of
AA's know as the "Vampire".

Seriously though, doesn't the foam of the fuselage shade the RX from the
sun? Maybe if you took the fuse apart and painted the inside black or
carefully wrapped the RX in a dark material it might help.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:14 PM

one other person who had that problem also mentioned that when he squeezed the sides of the plane, by the lipo, it would work. he took it apart and couldnt find any problems. but, if something works when you squeeze it, and then doesnt when you let it go, its usually a sign of a lose connection. why this would happen in the sun, is beyond me. someone should email spinmasters/airhogs about this, it would be interesting to see what they say (and what the problem actually is!).

nick
Old 07-03-2006, 06:52 AM

It is hard to believe the sun is the culprit but it seems there is
more than a few with this problem. Was squeezing the plane
blocking the sun or jiggling a loose wire. Why don't you have to
squeeze the plane indoors? Just plane weird!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM

I now have aquired a shady AA. Tim
Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 AM

ive never had these problems youre all describing? mine flys great night and day! i use channel B biplane. all the fellas in my flying club that has these dont have this problems either.