Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

This can't be a "New" Idea...

Old 05-30-2006, 08:38 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This can't be a "New" Idea...

This is my first post in this area...so please bear with me...

I think I may have been bitten by the "E" Bug...as I finally own my first E-Powered plane...a GP Siren....

I got to thinking about this first step into the E-World..and realized..I don't know JACK about Li-Pos...Watts...Brushless Motors..ect..ect..ect...

But I had an idea....that has me very interested....

You know those Balsa "Kit" airplanes that they sell at the drugstore...those gliders and rubber powered planes that come in a plastic wrapper for a buck or so....

What about cutting ailerons , elevators, Rudder and using Hinge tape..

Connecting Micro actuators and a small motor..
A small Lo-Po Battery and RX..and fly ..fly ..fly.....

I mean ..If you wreck a plane what are you out a couple of bucks in the kit and hinge tape???...how hard could one Hit the ground anyway with one of those??

I would think that someone MUST offer a "Kit" of components..actuators, rx...batt...motor..ect..ect..just with those little planes in mind!!!!

Please..enlighten me...this could be a really "Cheap Thrill" for those of us that have planted more than one glow or GASSER..to feel the drain on the wallet!!!

Thanks!!!

Larry
Old 05-30-2006, 09:41 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This can't be a "New" Idea...

hey Larry,

you're not too far off there on your idea. i've seen a handfull of the FF planes converted to RC with standard micro equipment. main problem with the kits is the wood that comes with it, its usually pretty heavy. but, some sanding and trimming, or a replacement of contest grade balsa and they do fly. almost a year ago i attempted one, it would've flown, but my gearbox making skills were lacking so badly that it just didnt have the thrust. if i had gone Direct Drive, it probably would've flown just fine.

Plantraco sells a combo kit, the Delux Starter Set 1. its not exactly cheap, but it is state of the art, with it being on 900mhz frequencies. you can buy other RX/ESC combos, actuators, motors, lipo, ect, for less than that, its just a matter of how you want to start. if you're really wanting to get into micro RC, it is a pretty good investment. you can get the Plantraco equipment, and pretty much everything else micro RC related right here: http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/

nick