Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

New "born of AeroAce"

Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New "born of AeroAce"

New addition to my hanger of AA derived lite-weights. In addition to the "Vin Fiz" (see original "born of Aeroace" thread). I have added a new plane. It is a standoff-scale MF 11 (Maurice Farmen Model 11) used by the British in early in WW1 as a recon and light bomber. The AA version is a 17.2 gram, 14" top wing,12" lower wing span,lots of dihedral. 2mm Depron and .06" square bass and Balsa construction. The front canard is adjustable and will use to fine tune the flight. No flight report as I just finished it and it's dark and raining outside. If I have done my homework, it should fly as well or better than the 21 gram "VinFiz" which now has 25-30 flights on it and flies,in dead air, as a RC plane should......enjoy

it26b
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74146.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	472118  
Old 06-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Default RE: New "born of AeroAce"

Nice!! how dose it handle? looks great man
Old 06-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Default RE: New "born of AeroAce"

Finally got some descent outside weather to fly my new MF 7 (incorrectly designated MF11.....ooops). Flight had some porpoising indicating front canard is too effective. It is shaped into a foil and thus generated lift in any position and since it not controllable in flight it was a problem. I replaced it with a "barndoor" canard set neutral and adjusted CG then flight leveled out and now it flies great. Since it is so light any updraft,mild thermal, or sneeze effects the plane so flying it requires full time monitoring unless in dead still air. Turns are responsive and with little loss of altitude. If the turn is held too long then it speeds up the outer wing enough to overcome the opposite turning props ability to correct for a longer period of time. so entering turns are relatively quick, but early opposite input helps to correct the aforementioned tendency. I notice the longer the span the more this problem persist. I increased the distance between props and provided upthrust anticipating this, but not enough, or the motor/props simply do not have enough thrust to overcome the lift and moment of the opposite wing. All in all I insist that these little AA powered planes fly as near to regular R/C standards as possible and this plane now pretty much does. It will be a great little indoor flyer. I was by myself so, no in flight photo's as of yet........enjoy