Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Storm Launcher!

Old 12-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Rdy12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *!STORM LAUNCHER!*

lol UAV

get him

And I thought I could trust you

( BTW, some of you (cough, UAV) may be too happy with your current setups to bother with my W#58 upgrade/mod thread, so don't!)
Old 12-25-2006, 04:46 PM
addisongrimm

"Santa" brought my son an SL this morning and we are having problems. We charged the battery (solid green light) and installed in the SL. The controller will trim the tail (up and down) but I cannot get the props to "turn on"/spin up at all! Ive tried pushing everything on the controller for 5-10 seconds and nothing seems to work. It's looking like I've got a dud but I am hoping someone here has found a fix for this. Any words of wisdom out there?
Old 12-25-2006, 05:18 PM
monstermaker13

ORIGINAL: rdy11

lol UAV

get him

( BTW, some of you (cough, UAV) may be too happy with your current setups to bother with my W#58 upgrade/mod thread, so don't!)
lol

i was joking

chill
Old 12-26-2006, 09:42 AM
voodoo_chicken1

hold thestart button until you see a reaction in the props. You should still be able to move the elevator no matter what. So, if your battery is installed and you can't move the elevator, run to the store and make an exchange.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Seek and Destroy

One of the motors on mine isn't as powerful. And the one that is more powerful spins longer, meaning keeps going for a couple seconds before it shuts off. what should I do??
Old 12-26-2006, 10:34 PM
RideBC

addisongrimm I have noticed sometimes when I go to start up my SL that the motors won't turn on after 5 - 10 secs of holding start. What I do is turn off controller... pull out the batter from the SL... then turn on controler first... then put battery back in the SL. Now when you hold down start it should work... does for me.

With any RC stuff, it is always smart to turn on the controller before the vehicle.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:16 PM
flyingace451

it is always smart to turn on the controller before the vehicle.
It's not only smart, it's pretty much a necessity in my book.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 AM
UAV Pilot

ORIGINAL: rdy11

lol UAV

get him

Got a cold or something?

Yes , you are correct, Why would I bother looking at your attempt to make that thing fly correctly when I have the originals sitting on my shelf that fly better then that thing ever will, and we won't even mention the way that thing looks in comparison.[:'(]

Oh, and as far as the SL, still better then that thing, and no it is not back in the air in five minutes after hitting a sign, it just bounces off and keeps flying , no stopping to repair needed.

As far as speed, you need to learn to read correctly, OH and a little math in pitch speed might come in handy, not to mention a lesson in physics on two small counter rotating props versus one large prop[&:]

And if thats not enough for you , you should try a [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560468]4Q[/link], The ultimate flying Hydro, some assembly required though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17972.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	585045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52669.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	585046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51486.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	585047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71244.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	585048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89835.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	585049  
Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 PM
clegen3

I'm looking to put new motors on my storm launcher. I only fly it 40% of the time, but i use it on land and on the water a little more. What would be the best thing to put on it under about $50 total w/o needing new batteries
Old 12-28-2006, 10:58 PM
churchrd

UAV,

I was givin a SL, unexpectedly, for christmas. I've been into RC in the past, so i had seen the videos of your original hydro foams. Just can't really afford the hobby these days. They always made me drool in the past. I couldn't believe it when i saw the SL commercial, and it was an Air Hogs product. I went on line to see what it was and then i found the story about you guys getting your product to Spinmaster. I've tried to catch up on the various SL threads on the net, now that i got one. Thanks for all the help(support) you have given on these different forums.
Congratulations on your success! I wish you much more. Can't wait for some better weather here in MN to take the SL out and get it broke in!
I think that it's great that the RC toys are becoming almost hobby worthy. I love that you can buy a HydroFoam, and those various mini heli's, at any major retailer affordably.
It does start to blur the line between toy/hobby grade, but it will be good for RC as whole.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Jason
Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Seek and Destroy

Uav, I sent you 2 pms. did you not get them or something??
Old 01-02-2007, 08:41 PM
christoptt

which color is 49 mhZ?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:37 PM
FLAVORS

Where i can get new propeller that fit for the SL ?

thank you
Old 01-08-2007, 08:23 PM
brimo

How would you guys recommend installing come carbon fiber rods through the middle of the SL? I've read a little about it and heard it was a good upgrade to improve stability and strength through the main body. If you can tell me how to do this, I would be very thankful and maybe some pictures... it never hurts -Brian
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
m3pgi

Brian, where did see that? I havent heard about that, but would be interested in it. Also, what are you guys replacing the slick plastic slide part under the sponsons with? I got a small crack/hole in one of mine
Old 01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Rdy12

I use aluminum can pieces. They're stronger than plastic, and don't weigh much more.

Gee, UAV, funny you should ask. I do, in fact, have a cold[] And the "physics/props/blah blah blah was based on both props spinning the same direction. if they go opposite ways, I'll admit I was sorta wrong. And I know how to read perfectly well, thank you. I can also tell when I'm going 60mph on a frozen lake. The 4Q looks a bit difficult, even for my amazing skills
Old 01-10-2007, 04:24 PM
m3pgi

what did you use to adhere the aluminum to the foam?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Rdy12

I use foam-safe CA and scotch tape (for the edges). The aluminum makes it safe to "drive" on rough asphalt, which rips up plastic like a hobby knife goes through thin foam
Old 01-11-2007, 12:08 AM
UAV Pilot

Don't know if you guys here have seen the New Mini Storm Launchers that are coming out late January/ February.

Two channel, ten step throttle, bang bang steering with trim controls. No elevator. Very easy to fly.

Takes off from ground and has small wheels, It does NOT take off from water unfortunately. But it is fun to drive around.

Chargers built into the transmitter and the battery's built into the Hydro. Very similar to the AA transmitter but this one will steer with the throttle off.

Ready to fly for around $40[8D]

Total length is 12 inches long and they weigh 2 oz's.

There will be two versions available , a molded black one and a molded white one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80554.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	595415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88306.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	595416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32351.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	595417  
Old 01-11-2007, 01:54 AM
m3pgi

wow
those mini sl's look fun!

what type of ca do u guys recommend. can i use gorrila glue
Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 AM
trinogt

Those baby Storm Launchers look like they operate similar to the 'XTwins' aircraft my boys each have... Push props, no elevator... The XTwins we have are the biplane style, which apparently fly better than the momo configuration. They also use the transmitter to charge, and are a breeze to fly. Great trainer for the SL! My boys are 5 and 9 and fly these things great. Oh, and don't worry about crashes; They really don't carry enough mass to damage in a collision. Sit on one, or accidentally set something against it, and they will bend undesireably. (ask me how I know! lol)

They fly in very light breezes, but a stronger wind will carry them away. They glide to the ground when power or signal is lost.

I love my Storm Launcher! I was frustrated at first until I got the elevator trim set right. It would head for a nose dive when the right stick was in neutral position, such as right after take-off. I got the hang of it now as a first time RC flyer, and it is awesome! It does break, but easy to fix.

Glad to see an inventor in this forum! Good job on this product! Top notch, and low $$$!
How much can one make selling this idea to a major company? Just curious! lol
Mark in Florida
Old 01-11-2007, 01:22 PM
UAV Pilot

ORIGINAL: m3pgi

wow
those mini sl's look fun!

what type of ca do u guys recommend. can i use gorrila glue
Yes, there are pretty fun and basically unbreakable (Almost).

Ca works but you must use the foam safe type and the accelerator to dry it. It's not cheap though and makes for a brittle repair.

I like using hot glue to repair EPP foam. It's cheap, but you can't let the glue get to hot if you use the high temps gun/glue. it can melt the foam from the heat. If the glue gun has been sitting for awhile I will squeeze out the first part that is real hot to get to the cooler stuff.

Gorilla Glue works fine also, but the repair does show up some as the glue is a amber color, and it expands slightly. Dries kinda slow unless you apply a little water on one side of the foam, but the repair is very durable.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:37 PM
UAV Pilot

ORIGINAL: trinogt

Those baby Storm Launchers look like they operate similar to the 'XTwins' aircraft my boys each have... Push props, no elevator... The XTwins we have are the biplane style, which apparently fly better than the momo configuration. They also use the transmitter to charge, and are a breeze to fly. Great trainer for the SL! My boys are 5 and 9 and fly these things great. Oh, and don't worry about crashes; They really don't carry enough mass to damage in a collision. Sit on one, or accidentally set something against it, and they will bend undesireably. (ask me how I know! lol)

They fly in very light breezes, but a stronger wind will carry them away. They glide to the ground when power or signal is lost.

I love my Storm Launcher! I was frustrated at first until I got the elevator trim set right. It would head for a nose dive when the right stick was in neutral position, such as right after take-off. I got the hang of it now as a first time RC flyer, and it is awesome! It does break, but easy to fix.

Glad to see an inventor in this forum! Good job on this product! Top notch, and low $$$!
How much can one make selling this idea to a major company? Just curious! lol
Mark in Florida
HI

They are very similar in the control of the X twin (Aero Ace), but do require a larger space to fly in.

As far as selling the idea, we get royalty's, ( very small percentage) so it's based on product sales.

But don't think I'm here to bring up sales, Sales from forum members barely make up 2 percent of Air Hogs total sales, including RCgroups (where I hang out the most). I'm just here to try and help others out if they have problems with there stuff, and I have been in this hobby since birth basically.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Stelth3d

Default RE: Storm Launcher!

I am new to RCs and bought a SL a week ago. Its really cool but of course I have a problem. I can't get the elevator to work consistantly. I have to help it move up and down and then its fine for a few seconds then nothing. I tried to see if there was any faom getting in the way but it looked clean. I bought it off of Ebay. My buddy bought one also from the same person and it works just fine. He got the orange one and i got the yellow one. It runs and operates normal otherwise.

I think I read on here about loosening the screw on the servo for the elevator and retightening. I just wanted to know if there was anybody else that had this problem and fixed it somehow?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:09 PM
m3pgi

make sure the elevators are clipped into the the little plastic piece that holds it (hinge part). I had some rough landings where it popped the elevator out of its hinges..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.