Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Storm Launcher!

Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Stelth3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *!STORM LAUNCHER!*

the hinge is clipped in ok but the elevator motor seems intermitant.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:27 PM
OUTLAWSAM

Default RE: Storm Launcher!

I just bought a SL. I am a very experience RC aircraft flyer and builder. I have flown just about everything and built all manner of experimental AC. I even assisted the New Mexico National Guard in getting their Goldberg Mig23 drones oeprational...an ac otherwise unflyable...I modified them to fly like a Golberg Eagle and saved them all kinds of headaches in their training program.

So, I have decided to post my experiece with the Storm Launcher as I learn to fly it. So far, my "out of the box" experience: I tested it on the living room floor and can see it is clearly going to be a challenge. It is very controllable...and will be very easy to over control. I like the power/weight ratio...it darn near hovers in my front room. I will leave the horz stab in place over the elevator and the prop guards on for the first trial flights. I am inclined to reinforce the vertical stabs now, before flight tests...but I don't want to change anything to give it a fair test.

I also tried to find more spare props...I know I'll be needing them. No luck at all...I sent a message to Spinmaster regarding this. I am expecting the local hobby shop will have something I can adapt...but, the left/right props may impede this. UAV Pilot, probably this is something you should ask the mfg about...if this thing is targeted for kids, the props really should be much more available ...and one set for amost 12 bucks (cost and shipping) is a total rip. Three sets for that would be much more reasonable.

I'll be posting more as I get experience. Outlaw sam.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:39 AM
UAV Pilot

ORIGINAL: Stelth3d

I am new to RCs and bought a SL a week ago. Its really cool but of course I have a problem. I can't get the elevator to work consistantly. I have to help it move up and down and then its fine for a few seconds then nothing. I tried to see if there was any faom getting in the way but it looked clean. I bought it off of Ebay. My buddy bought one also from the same person and it works just fine. He got the orange one and i got the yellow one. It runs and operates normal otherwise.

I think I read on here about loosening the screw on the servo for the elevator and retightening. I just wanted to know if there was anybody else that had this problem and fixed it somehow?

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like it has a problem with the electronic board. If you want to take it apart , you can check to see if it has a loose plug or wire too the servo.

Even if you can't return it to Ebay it does have a warranty through spinmasters. Call there customer support and in most cases they will tell you to break off a chunk of foam off it (to render it useless), and ship the foam chunk to them , and they will send you a completely new unit to replace it with.

Best of luck, sorry yours had a problem.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:52 AM
UAV Pilot

ORIGINAL: OUTLAWSAM

I just bought a SL. I am a very experience RC aircraft flyer and builder. I have flown just about everything and built all manner of experimental AC. I even assisted the New Mexico National Guard in getting their Goldberg Mig23 drones oeprational...an ac otherwise unflyable...I modified them to fly like a Golberg Eagle and saved them all kinds of headaches in their training program.

So, I have decided to post my experiece with the Storm Launcher as I learn to fly it. So far, my "out of the box" experience: I tested it on the living room floor and can see it is clearly going to be a challenge. It is very controllable...and will be very easy to over control. I like the power/weight ratio...it darn near hovers in my front room. I will leave the horz stab in place over the elevator and the prop guards on for the first trial flights. I am inclined to reinforce the vertical stabs now, before flight tests...but I don't want to change anything to give it a fair test.

I also tried to find more spare props...I know I'll be needing them. No luck at all...I sent a message to Spinmaster regarding this. I am expecting the local hobby shop will have something I can adapt...but, the left/right props may impede this. UAV Pilot, probably this is something you should ask the mfg about...if this thing is targeted for kids, the props really should be much more available ...and one set for amost 12 bucks (cost and shipping) is a total rip. Three sets for that would be much more reasonable.

I'll be posting more as I get experience. Outlaw sam.
I hope it goes well for you. I'm glad you got one with good power, that makes all the difference.
You will notice a great improvement in flight control with the prop guard and the horizontal removed.

I think the biggest key to getting it to fly well is getting it the elevator to trim out right. The elevator trim is very sensitive and is easy to over adjust. Another problem is the the elevator and linkage tend to be sloppy, which can also make it hard to trim correctly. Replacing the hinge system with tape hinges and filing in the holes on the control horns goes a long way in helping also.

I agree that the props are way to expensive for factory replacements. Fact, right know you can find the SL's for sale in some of the Targets that it cost the same to buy a new one with two sets of props in/on it, than it would cost to order two new set of replacement props from Spinmasters!

Some have had luck with other brand of props as long as the motors don't draw over 6 amps each. They don't have to be counter rotating, it only makes a slight difference in flight performance if they are both spinning the same way.

Best of luck to you, and above all, have fun!
Old 01-13-2007, 04:45 PM
AGunner

UAV - Have 2 SL's. One inverted in the pond and began running erratically. Took it apart and board was soaked and never recovered. Spinmaster is replacing. Caulk job was really poor in the 2 bag assembly. Do you recommend a better enclosure if I will be running it on water a lot with the new one? Also, tape job on pontoons is pretty poor and gaps tend to "dig" the water. Can this just be removed? If needed, what kind of tape is used - everything I tried doesn't stick well.

Second one has a little problem as well. The one being replaced always flew pretty level as far as the sponsons go. It just inverted due to my messing around. The second one seems unbalanced when it lifts off though. Upwind/Downwind doesn't matter, it just seems to roll to the left - even with little hops. Trim and motors have been balanced on the controller. Almost seems like a weight balance issue, but I can't see anything. I can get it to fly by working the control hard, but it is more demanding on this SL for some reason. Anybody have any suggestions on how to check/correct?

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Djstinger

I just exchanged my orange SL the yesterday. It had black motors,rear skids, dark red props, extra tape, scoop and exaust. The problume is the motors shut off after about 1 min. if I shut of the controller and push start it will run for 1 min. and shut off again. At first I thought it was my battery so I took some advice and went hunting at Target and found one for $7.48 I need to hit some more Targets, it did the same thing with the brand new battery so TRU here I come.I got the $8.99 1 yr warrenty from TRU when I bought it in Aug. the new one I got is yellow with no scope or exaust, silver/grey motors, see thru red props, extra piece of thick tape running up the bottom tip of the sponsons. The motors seem to have good power but they are alot quieter than the black motors. Any one have any info what version I have? I can't wait to fly it but I have to break it in first and wait for the weather to pass.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:18 PM
AGunner

ORIGINAL: Djstinger

I just exchanged my orange SL the yesterday. It had black motors,rear skids, dark red props, extra tape, scoop and exaust. The problume is the motors shut off after about 1 min. if I shut of the controller and push start it will run for 1 min. and shut off again. At first I thought it was my battery so I took some advice and went hunting at Target and found one for $7.48 I need to hit some more Targets, it did the same thing with the brand new battery so TRU here I come.I got the $8.99 1 yr warrenty from TRU when I bought it in Aug. the new one I got is yellow with no scope or exaust, silver/grey motors, see thru red props, extra piece of thick tape running up the bottom tip of the sponsons. The motors seem to have good power but they are alot quieter than the black motors. Any one have any info what version I have? I can't wait to fly it but I have to break it in first and wait for the weather to pass.
I have two newer ones that are the same as yours, based on description. Reading the posts, it looks like the scoop and exhaust were removed on newer models to reduce drag or possibly based on manufacturing location. These things are a blast on the ice!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
m3pgi

see thru props? any pics??
Old 01-21-2007, 07:21 PM
WJCJR

Newb here, my son and I just got a SL. Brought it out ran about on top of the snow, was a little jerky and slow to respond to commands. Ran battery down, cooled and recharged. Went out again, son ran it about then I tried a few jumps into air. Woohooo first air experience! Problem then arose about every 10 seconds of power applied model would shut down motors. Elevator worked fine so radio is transmitting. Is the cold weather likely causing the problem I am having by degrading the performance of the Li-Po. Probably 15*F out I would guess.
Thanks all.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:18 PM
trinogt

Mine did that at first as well; I forgot to mention it.

I removed the battery every time that happened, then plugged it back in and turned it on. I did that for the first three or so days, then the problem went away, permanently. No idea why it happened or why it stopped doing that, but it may just work for you, too.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
WJCJR

I know this product is rather inexpensive but this first experience has made me a little nervous now. I am thinkig about a HZ SC purchase and am now concerned about factory electronics being predictable and performance driven versus maybe it will work itself out.
Does anyone have opinions on that?
Thx, Wayne
Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM
trinogt

All I can say is buy locally... You can always return it for a new one if it is defective.

Other R/C's you buy online; Buy a brand that your local hobby shop carries parts for.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 AM
m3pgi

any write-ups on brushless motors?? I am really considering upgrading the motor, but I am a newbie with R/C so I probably shouldn't. Do I need a different Remote control if I upgrade the motors?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Djstinger

m3, Here is a pic of the props. Check rcgroups for more info on brushless motors.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46064.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	605629  
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 AM
alt25s

i just bought battery and charger at my local target for $3.95...CLEARANCE
Old 02-08-2007, 07:15 PM
ahaacobbler

So I just got my SL, charged it up, ran the battery through at slow speed 2 times and then took the SL out for the maiden voyage. I was hugely disapointed when I had all my friends gathered around to see what she could do and she wouldn't even start up.

Has anyone else had an SL that was probably working just fine, but then would not turn on when you press the start button. I already tried all of the trouble shooting ideas. I tried charging the battery again, removing/replacing the battery dozens of times. I even replaced the TX batteries, enen though i am sure they should last longer than 2 cycles on the SL battery. I opened the TX to see if something had come loose. I am running out of ideas. BTW, when I stick the battery into the SL I do hear a little buzz from the servo and if I force the elevator, it returns to neutral, however, the elevator does not respond to any TX inputs.

Any ideas? Do I just have to call Spinmaster about a return? I don't want to take it back to Target, because I am never going to find another at the $12.50 clearance price.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:47 AM
GantryG

Yeah, I would call Spin Master, get troubleshooting help, maybe they would exchange for a new one since it was DOA, and they know that Target was only selling SL's during the holidays...
Old 02-09-2007, 05:21 AM
m3pgi

ORIGINAL: ahaacobbler

I don't want to take it back to Target, because I am never going to find another at the $12.50 clearance price.

you got the complete SL for $12.50??? I need to go to Target tomorrow!~
Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 AM
trinogt

Hey all... Any tips to installing a propeller? After many, MANY flights, I came in for a landing and caught a wire survey flag on the left prop. First time breakage for the original props. I have a pair of spares. Problem: I can't seem to get it on all the way with the supplied tool! I am pushing as hard as a dare push without breaking the motor or it's mount. The motor shaft is clean, and I even tried dish soap to help lube the parts, to no avail. Am I missing something? Is there an r/c 'trick'?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
ahaacobbler

you got the complete SL for $12.50??? I need to go to Target tomorrow!~
[/quote]

Yes, the SL only, not the battery. It was in a mangled box on the clearance rack. The SL itself looked untouched, although the TX was just floating around in the box. The pricetag actually said $50, but it was on the 75% off rack so I took it up front and asked.

Good luck finding anything still at Target. I am jealous of the guy who got the battery for $4 just the other day. I guess there are probably a few things hiding at some Target somewhere, but the SL stuff has already been on clearance for a month.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 AM
scotta1

Im still checking Walmart every day for a price drop atleast on the batts.

Hey UAV,

tell us about the battery on the new MINI SL.
same batt or what?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:35 PM
trinogt

Go to eBay for your batteries. They sell 2 batteries with chargers for $19.99 plus $10 shipping. Works out to around $30, which is what you pay for ONE Lipo and charger at walmart. I just bought some 2 minutes ago in a 'Buy It Now'.
Now I will have 3 sets of charged batts to take with me for almost an hour of fly time!
Now, I just need to find new props, and more of those little screws that hold the motors in their housings. (I just lost both from one motor!)
Good luck!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:29 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Ordered props from Spinmasters 3weeks ago...still waiting[]
Old 02-18-2007, 01:50 PM
trinogt

That doesn't sound good... Need an eBay supplier that can ship in one week!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Mr. Mugen

So where can I find replacement props for this SL?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.