Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Storm Launcher!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM
scotta1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *!STORM LAUNCHER!*

ORIGINAL: trinogt

Go to eBay for your batteries. They sell 2 batteries with chargers for $19.99 plus $10 shipping. Works out to around $30, which is what you pay for ONE Lipo and charger at walmart. I just bought some 2 minutes ago in a 'Buy It Now'.
Now I will have 3 sets of charged batts to take with me for almost an hour of fly time!
Now, I just need to find new props, and more of those little screws that hold the motors in their housings. (I just lost both from one motor!)
Good luck!
no trinogt, Ive paid $7 each for these at Target. they have been marked down at some Walmarts but not here yet.
I dont want them for the SL anyway (stinks). IM making 3Cells with these dudes.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:24 PM
ahaacobbler

Does anyone have a SL controller (tx) that they would be willing to sell me? I am looking for one that transmits on the frequency used by the yellow SL. I am guessing that a channel change is probably a simple soldering job, so maybe I would be interested to buy a controller on any of the frequencies. Does anyone know about a channel change mod for the SL TX or RX?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM
craig420

i thought my motor was busted because it ran slower than other and made a different rougher noise. I replaced it with a good motor from my buddies SL and the new motor ran the same eventually causing the thing to shut down. I think something is wrong with the circuitry. Who nows if i can replace this crappy circuit board with something better? Please let me know. If one motor spins rough and slow, you can replace it with an SL motor that is good and it does not fix the problem. Whats the deal? I know there is someone that knows how to fix this....
Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
FlyinHigh78

I bought a SL from a bargain store for $7 with a banged up box. I just bought my battery from wal-mart and charged it up. I inserted the battery and pushed the start button to only see one motor spining. When I power up only the right motor spins. When I hit the right stick nothing happens (wrong) and when I hit the left the right motor spins(correct). When I am in novice and I go left or right nothing spins but the throttle will operate. The elevator seems weak but does work. I have taken apart the motor and saw that no voltage is being applied to the left motor. The right motor has variable voltage with the position of the throttle stick. My question is, is there anything I can check to see if something is shorted or anything, or maybe direct me to a schematic of the board. The board has no obvious defects and all the wiring looks good. I refuse to pay Wal-mart prices for this so buy a new one is not an option, after all I already paid $30 for the battery. Thanks in advanced for your help.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:48 PM
m3pgi

Do you have your remote in Novice MODe? If you do switch it to Expert. In Novice mode the elevators barely move and the right stick only controls while you are on the left stick (throttle) If you switch it to expert they both motors move freely using the right stick button. Sorry, for the confusing wording. I am too lazy to make it sound better.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
FlyinHigh78

Yes I have it in expert. And it all does the same
Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 PM
ahaacobbler

Let me know if you give up and want to sell me your controller.

AHAAcobbler
Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
its_just_seth

ORIGINAL: ahaacobbler

So I just got my SL, charged it up, ran the battery through at slow speed 2 times and then took the SL out for the maiden voyage. I was hugely disapointed when I had all my friends gathered around to see what she could do and she wouldn't even start up.

Has anyone else had an SL that was probably working just fine, but then would not turn on when you press the start button. I already tried all of the trouble shooting ideas. I tried charging the battery again, removing/replacing the battery dozens of times. I even replaced the TX batteries, enen though i am sure they should last longer than 2 cycles on the SL battery. I opened the TX to see if something had come loose. I am running out of ideas. BTW, when I stick the battery into the SL I do hear a little buzz from the servo and if I force the elevator, it returns to neutral, however, the elevator does not respond to any TX inputs.

Any ideas? Do I just have to call Spinmaster about a return? I don't want to take it back to Target, because I am never going to find another at the $12.50 clearance price.

I got mine at clearance also though mine was aquired for $45 from wally world... anyway i am having the same problems.. ive tried the advice of others taking the battery out.. etc the elevator doesnt stop working just the motors in my case... i am running out of ideas and i may end up taking it back... have you discovered a fix for this?

i have resolved its probably not a lipo prop. I try the spinmasters and see if they have any ideas.. will report back if i find anything.

thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
cexley

Hello all.....New here......
I received a Sl for x-mas and now have the RC bug. My problem with the SL is toasting props. I found new props at the LHS. HobbyZone Outlaw props. Worked great, but those are now discontinued and harder to find. New props for about $15 shipped. Looking for some other props, where and how much??? If i can't get them, this SL is shelved. I now have a HobbyZone Freedom and looking to master that, as a real 3 Channel Flier
Old 03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
its_just_seth

well i called the spinmasters and they took down my info and thanked me for calling... anyway i took it back to wallyworld and got a new one.. no probs now at all... flys great. when i end up destroying this one im going to scratch build another foamie with the parts... so alls well. thanks wally world.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:03 PM
ski4six

New here...PROBLEM: When my battery gets low, I get about five to ten seconds of power then both motors shut off (not the elevator), is that normal??
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 PM
UAV Pilot

ORIGINAL: ski4six

New here...PROBLEM: When my battery gets low, I get about five to ten seconds of power then both motors shut off (not the elevator), is that normal??
That is normal , time for a recharge. It's best to land before you let the battery get that low as the motors can shut off in flight.

Normal flight time will be only about 5 to 6 minutes max in the air.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:14 PM
trinogt

Yes, unlike airplanes, these hydros do not glide well, so losing power can be very frustrating when you are 30 feet in the air.
Just ask me how I know! lol

Oh, and applying any packing tape near the black skidplates makes them grip the road, so much so that the friction will prevent you from taking off. I applied the tape to help promote structural integrity, which it does very well, but now it will not rotate under its own power. I have to toss it to launch. The tape has to come off, because a ground launch is more cool!
Old 05-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Dave ESPI

I'm having issues now with it turning right only with the alignment to the left full stick.
I hope the motor is not shot. I just got really good at flying this thing, and it is my second one.

I went to TOYs R US and they have an Electronics toys replacement policy and they will replace it when you buy the protection plan for like 9.00

Best 9.00 I ever spent, because I now have a Brand new one for nothing
Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
ahaacobbler

Mine is having the same constant right turn problem, which eventually resulted in 1 particular crash that was not worth fixing. I was hoping that the problem was from the airframe not being straight and I put the guts on one of those big 4 foot wing span foam gliders you can buy for about $5. That thing is awesome, but unfortunately I still have the turn problem. I will post videos soon. The plane is so fast, even on half throttle.

Does anybody know a good replacement motor? I figure its a motor problem, not an alectronics problem.

Cobbler.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Dave ESPI

Cobbler, post pix of your design.. I really want to utelize the guts from one of these storm launchers in a better project. I was thinking about sometign super small and really quick, but a big glider would be cool too
Old 05-18-2007, 12:02 PM
trinogt

If anyone needs props, let me know. I can direct you to $2.95 a pair and $1.95 shipping. I just ordered 2 pair.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:44 PM
ahaacobbler

Yes, please.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:37 PM
trinogt

1-800-622-8339 x 474

Phone number and extension. Customer care at Spinmaster. Keep this number for future reference; They may be able to sell more than just props.
I got this number when I received an email from Spinmaster as a reply to my prop questions.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Dave ESPI

Well I pulled the guts out of the second Stormlauncher I've owned..... I plan on switching to a better set of motors and perhaps attach this to some sort of other flier and modify it to handle the motors. Perhaps a lazy moth or something like that.

Anyone added power to anything that is set up for ducted fan and had sucess with it sofar ?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:46 PM
trinogt

Neigh... But I am thinking about building a new hydrofoam and swapping all the Strom parts over. It is just getting a bit tired. I got two new sets of props in the mail and I am ready to fly again; Just need the unseasonal wind to die down again. These machines would be great with a split elevator that acts as ailerons when using an extra channel.
Have you given any thought to that? My motors also seem to have lost some steam lately, but I might just be imagining it.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Dave ESPI

Trinogt, the right turn power loss of the left motor is common. I too experience that issue with mine after about 20 battery packs to the point that it will not fly straight except under full power and with a lot of left stick adjustment on the trim tab, so it really never flies very high over 10 feet or so.

New motors would rectify the problem it it I'm sure.

I sent a PM to a repair/claim rep. they will be getting back to me as to the type motors used.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:07 AM
ahaacobbler

Yeah, let me know about that. I am having the same problem. The constant turning eventually resulted in enough crashes, that I decided to call it for the airframe. I took out the guts and put them into one of those big styrofoam planes you buy for like $6. It is awesome, but it still turns all the time.

Does anybody know why the motors develop the constant turn?

Cobbler
Old 06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
trinogt

Heck, even if they have spare 'bodies' that are empty shells for sale, I would definately look into getting them for spares... Among all the other parts. I am kind of a cheapskate, but I also try to improve on stuff that is out there already.
I would even go so far as to maybe hand-wind my own motors!
I am also an airsoft mechanic, so I like playing with electrical stuff, gears, mosfets, etc...
Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Kokopelli06

Alright, i just got my storm launcher yesterday, and im having trouble running it on my pond. When i start to go, it tracks straight then all of a sudden it whips around to the left. I've heard that it runs better on choppy water and it was smooth as glass tonight, could this be the problem. On pavement and grass it tracks straight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.