Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Storm Launcher!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:39 PM
trinogt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *!STORM LAUNCHER!*

Check your sponsons for anything sticking out, like tape, or a piece of that black plastic runner bent outta shape. Something could be causing drag on that side.
Also, how long before it turns? You have the steering trim adjusted?
Inspect all you can, and check on pavement to see if it does the same thing.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Kokopelli06

I have the trim adjusted, but ill check for anything on it. I've run it on pavement, but not sure if it did it a lot because i turned it most of the time.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
tsherm31

Is this worth my money... I know there are other companies right now that make a very similar version like storm launcher, that even include brushless motors!? Does your storm launcher fly well, or move in the water nice?
I have been reading through alot of these forums but with 21 pages I haven't heard to many promising results? other than they are selling out.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:12 PM
m3pgi

what are the newer ones with Brushless motors? and how much do they costs? Do they even sell SL's anymore??
Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM
ahaacobbler

I saw them at TRU last week and I saw a kid buying one, so yes, they still sell them.

My personal opinion is that the SL is a lot of fun and interesting to fly. However, I think there are better deals out there. The SL is like a piece of plywood with two over-powered motors on it. Sure, you can fly it, but it isn't exactly aerodynamic - it's not really flying. It is challenging to fly and crashes hard. Buy the SL if you really want to go on land air and water and have only $100 to spend. If you really want to get into hydrofoams, I would say buy a real one - although I have never flown a real hydrofoam. I would think the roll control would be very helpful. Otherwise, spend your money on something else.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 AM
trinogt

They really are a lot of fun... I have used it almost exclusively for flying, though if some of the ponds here were closer to large, open areas, I would probably use it on water more than I do...
After many, many flights and using two sets of props, the motors are finally getting tired, so the SL has become rather lazy in the skies. One motor tends to weaken before the other. I have repaired it many times with tape and Gorilla glue, and had no real problems with it. I think it would be a great trainer for getting a real hydrofoam later, since the price was right for what I wanted. Definately worth the money to me. I will buy another if the price is right, but really, all I would like are new motors to install.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 AM
ahaacobbler

I agree, its all about the price being right. I got mine for $12.50 on clearance at Target and picked up 5 batteries for $4 each on clearance at kmart. The price was right. I don't think $100 is the right price - maybe $50 - just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
EvilE

ORIGINAL: ahaacobbler

I agree, its all about the price being right. I got mine for $12.50 on clearance at Target and picked up 5 batteries for $4 each on clearance at kmart. The price was right. I don't think $100 is the right price - maybe $50 - just my opinion.
$12.50? Seriously?? I wonder if all Targets are clearancing them, or just select ones. Anyone know??
Old 08-09-2007, 04:11 PM
ahaacobbler

I should mention that I got mine a few weeks after Christmas and the box was all smashed and taped up. In fact, the t/x was not secured in the box, so it was banging around on the SL. Fortunately, the SL was perfect and everything worked fine. The tag said $50, but it was on a shelf marked 75% off or more. I used the remote price checker which returned $0, so I took it up front. They couldn't get a price on it either - I guess it had already been cleared out of the computer system. I mentioned the place where I found it and they gave it to me for the said $12.50. I think it had been there a long time. Nobody wanted such a mangey looking box.

Anyway, I think that target only had the SL as a Christmas item. I have never seen them there again. I would try ebay if you want to find one at anything less than $70 plus battery. It seems like I saw a few go for around $50.

Cobbler.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM
trinogt

Our local Target clearances items that don't sell or are defective to the local GoodWill. They sell the stuff for very little money. You must check often with these stores, but they usually try to deal with charitable companies.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Fisher

My understanding is the Airhogs/Spin Master is regrouping with the Storm Launcher and expects to offer a more capable unit soon. Possibly brushless motor and more durability. There was also talk of a Hobby Grade unit as a PNP. Maybe one of the two fellas who worked on developement can comment. Or maybe they got into too much trouble for posting prior to the original release that they have to keep quiet.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:20 PM
trinogt

I would sure like to see a new version with all the improvements! Had a blast with the original!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:25 PM
m3pgi

yes a brushless version would be nice... at the same price
Old 08-22-2007, 06:43 PM
trinogt

That, plus if they can somehow add another channel to get a pair of moving ailerons...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Dave ESPI

A 4 channel SL would be totaly sick ! Brushless set up and soem redesigned tail uprights that are sturdier made as that is what I'm always busting on the SL's I've had.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Fisher

If any of the previous chatter was accurate they are shooting for the coming holiday season so we should start hearing something in the next couple of months.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Electrolight

Can the SL really do what the commercials show... Take off from watter.

Electrolight
Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 AM
m3pgi

I havent taken mine on water much, but it definitely goes on water well. I had'nt tried taking off from water b/c it was the 1st time I had tried it out when I went on water
Old 09-01-2007, 06:52 AM
trinogt

Yes, the Storm Launcher has no trouble taking off from water. Mine has so many hours on it, however, that the motors are getting tired, and the land takeoffs are getting more difficult. The motors are having trouble overcoming the friction. If I toss it into the air, it has no problem flying still...
Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 AM
ahaacobbler

I had my second SL out for the first 2 flights over the last week. My first one got to the point where 1 motor had slowed down enough that it was impossible to fly it without it going into a spin and crashing. The second one had one motor die even faster. I have 4 batteies and before I could use up the 4 batteries twice the new SL was already making pretty tight turn while driving straight on the lake. I ended up landing upside down on the water twice as a result of the roll induced by the weak motor.

Has anyone been able to revive a slower motor or find replacements or otherwise fix this? Its a real disapointment the this happened so quickly on this new SL. The airframe is still in prisitne condition, but its already unflyable.

Cobbler.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:55 PM
trinogt

Did you follow the low speed engine breakin procedure as outlined in the manual?

I would also like to know of a suitable replacement motor...
Old 09-04-2007, 02:10 PM
ahaacobbler

Yes, in fact, after having problems with my first SL, I ran 3 and a half batteries through the second as slow speeds to break in the motors.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:36 PM
trinogt

Ah, gotcha... Must have gotten an inferior motor, I'm guessing... Just trying to cover bases...

Was this one new from in-store?

Old 09-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Electrolight

whats the flight time on a storm launcher
Old 09-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Fisher

My son has had his for a year and did not get much flight time in though he ran it around on the ground quite a bit and had a lot of fun doing so. We took it to the park yesterday for a second focused attempt at flying and after a half dozen flights the unit is pretty much destroyed. I was never able to get it to turn with any measure of control on either high or low rates even with the prop guards and upper stabilizer removed. At this point I am less than impressed with the product considering the $100 purchase price with two batteries. I know many people have had good luck with them but not us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.