Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Zepron Depron EPP lots of foam!

Old 07-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zepron Depron EPP lots of foam!

So I was wondering if you guys can help me out ... I want to build a plane out of foam... probably the x-plank... looks good and has a great tutorial... anyways, I have no clue where to buy this foam... depronusa.com requires $50 minimum.. and i dont think i need that much foam... I dont really think they cary it in most hobby shops or do they? anyone have a good site to buy some foam? thanks
Old 07-25-2006, 02:17 AM

Default RE: Zepron Depron EPP lots of foam!

I was having the same problem, actually. Today I found 3mm foam at the local hobby supply shop. The brand is Cellfoam88 from Midwest (the balsa people) but the probelm is, it cost $9 for two sheets. When I did the math, buying online (even the $50 min from depron) was cheaper.

I think I have a bookmark on my work PC with another link to a foam supplier, I'll post it tomorrow when I get in to work.
(unless someone else has some links that is :&gt

-Jef
Old 07-25-2006, 11:19 AM

thanks jef, foam is just so much more durable than balsa.. Im going to check the hobby shops some more but I think i might just save some money and buy a truckload full from usadepron, whats the most universal thickness ? 3mm? 2mm?
Old 07-25-2006, 05:18 PM

Why not go to the local butcher and score a few large meat trays and cut them up?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:57 PM

Right now im collecting all of our meat trays.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:27 PM

Here's the link: [link=http://www.rcfoam.com/]rcfoam.com[/link]

I was able to find 3mm locally, but the price was a bit on the high side.
RC foam also has bluecor and something called RCF Foam, which seems to be the best deal. The RCF stuff comes off of a roll, so you will need to flatten it with some heat before you use is. It's technically the same foam as depron/zepron, just 'unfinished'.

After driving all over to buy foam, next time I'm using these guys.

-Jef
Old 07-28-2006, 10:48 AM

Brimo:
Do you have a Hobby Lobby craft store near you. You can buy 40"X32" sturdy board there. This is the foam core (depron) with heavy paper laminated on the outside. What I do is draw my parts on the paper, cut the parts out with a #11 exacto knife and then soak them in the tub of water for about 20 to 30 minutes. The paper then peels off very easily and then you have your foam part ready to assemble. I have found that Hobby Lobby stuff is the easiest to get the paper off of, but many craft stores have similar products. My local store has the foam in 3 and 5mm thicknesses. The sheets sell for about 5 bucks apeice but sometimes I hit a 2 for 1 special and then buy up a lot.
Good Luck
Bob
Old 07-30-2006, 12:26 AM

nice. I do have some hobby shops around here. hobby people and hobby town.. I will check for this foam sheeting
oh well... im off on my quest
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 PM

Got my foam from RCfoam.com today, everything looks good. I order the 3mm depron and the 2.5mm RCF. The depron is definately stiffer and lies flat while the RCF has a slight curve to it and isn't very stiff. RCFoam says that if you heat and press the RCF flat, it will hold the shape and stiffen up.

I've got some things I want to build up (while waitin for some micro equipment to arrive) I'll post some pics when I get back from vacation.

-Jef
Old 08-02-2006, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: nocjef

RCFoam says that if you heat and press the RCF flat, it will hold the shape and stiffen up.

-Jef
Wonder if an iron that you use to apply Monokote would work.

I've found that Goop Automotive adhesive works great on foam.
Comes in a red tube and you can get it at Aco & auto parts stores.
The CA dries too hard and brittle while the Goop still retains a small
amount of flexability.
It takes longer to set up but once it dries- it's on for good. The extra
time it takes to cure you can make adjustments while sometimes the
CA sets too fast.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:49 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Not sure if this helps, but I bought some depron thinking it was EPP foam. Make sure you know the difference. EPP is much more durable then depron, it is the stuff that can slam into the ground and not brake, it is the kind of stuff zagi's are made of. However, epp is much more flimsy and will need to be supported by carbon tubes(not rods). The depron needs to be supported by carbon tubes as well, but sometimes you can get away with no support if the plane is small enough.