Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
 "Accidental" Micro Rascal Electric! >

"Accidental" Micro Rascal Electric!

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

"Accidental" Micro Rascal Electric!

Old 07-29-2006, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Accidental" Micro Rascal Electric!

I've always loved the Sig Rascal series of planes - I've got 'em all in, electric form (except the .40 sized one).
I remember reading that Carl Goldberg had designed the Rascal for Top Flite for it's "Jig-Time" series of fast-building balsa free flights. Sig execs latched onto the designed and resurrected it into the original Rascal Electric with 49 in. span. Needless to say, it was such a performer it just kept getting bigger and better, except for the Lil' Rascal - which is ALSO one of my favorite planes!
Here's the link to the original Rascal 18 plans: www.parmodels.com/Plans/jigtime.htm . It's a fascinating site and I finally managed to build a rubber-powered Rascal. Flies great.
On to the point. When I originally printed out the PDF files, I specified full sized copies, but FORGOT to set the printer to not RESIZE images that wouldn't fit on the 8 1/2 X 11 page. I'd done this at a library with their printer and computer, and just saved the PDF file to a thumb drive for another printing back home.
So - I had a set of plans for an airplane with an intended 18 inch wingspan, but the only parts that printed out full size were the stabilizer and rudder! The fuselage, wing, and other parts were resized to fit the page - much smaller than the originals.
I checked them against the newly home-printed version and they were to scale. I had, in other words, plans for a sub peanut-scale Rascal. The danged parts literally looked too small to transfer to balsa and cut out if I so desired.
Something about that tiny fuselage print kept bugging me. Imagine - a "Micro Rascal"! That would call for a magnetic actuator and such equipment, though, and since I didn't have anything like that (except for my AeroAce planes, and they really don't use actuators) it was out of the question.
Then bing! Fate entered the equation. My parents, knowing of my fondness for very small RC planes, bought me a full Cirrus Micro Joule flight pack for my b-day, with three servos, receiver, and ESC. I literally couldn't believe the size of those components - in fact I still can't.
Another bing! I was now comitted to building the smallest full-function, proportional Rascal I could envision. I didn't bother tracing the plans from their sheet, just out the parts with fine scissors and traced them onto 1/32 balsa sheet. Here's a pic of one parts page:

That's full-sized!

So - I'm ready to start figuring out gear placement.

Any ideas or recommendations would be appreciated. Until then... I'll have to fly my other Rascals, especially my "Lil' Rascal"!
Flyer

Old 07-29-2006, 08:56 AM

Default RE: "Accidental" Micro Rascal Electric!

looks really cool. what electronics are you going to use??? well done!!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: "Accidental" Micro Rascal Electric!

looks good so far whats the wingspan on her? do you know the weight of the electronics? the Cirrus Micro Joule stuff is pretty good, and for as small as the plane is, you could probably get away easily with just one servo for the rudder. the motor will do the job of the elevator very easily. a printed tissue job would make her really shine!

nick