Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
 Where Did You Pre-order Your SL From? >

Where Did You Pre-order Your SL From?

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.
View Poll Results: A poll
Target
16.67%
Wal-Mart
61.11%
Toys R Us
5.56%
Etoys
11.11%
KB Toys
0%
Other (explain in post)
5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Where Did You Pre-order Your SL From?

Old 07-29-2006, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where Did You Pre-order Your SL From?

Hey, Just wondering where everybody pre-ordered their Storm Launcher/s from on the internet...
Old 07-31-2006, 12:02 AM

Default RE: Where Did You Pre-order Your SL From?

Doesn't look like many people on RCU pre-ordered[X(]
Old 07-31-2006, 02:29 PM

According to Wal-Mart: Will arrive between Wednesday, 08/09/06, and Tuesday, 08/15/06
Old 07-31-2006, 06:34 PM

Walmart has now sold out. T'R'U still has a few , and I believe Etoys has s few left also.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:24 PM

I don't understand the battery accessory. does the storm launcher not come with a battery?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 AM

Yup...all you need to fly/drive the SL is batterys for the TX and the LI-PO battery+charger.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: makg

Yup...all you need to fly/drive the SL is batterys for the TX and the LI-PO battery+charger.
so is everyone preordoring the stormlauncher and battery or are they getting the batteries elsewhere?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:38 PM

After I discovered the plane/boat doesn't include the battery/charger, like all other Air Hogs do, I just ordered the $30.00 kit from WalMart, where I got the plane. I ordered the plane two days ago: to be shipped October. I ordered the battery just now: to be shipped in August. This suggests to me that they have a supply of battery/chargers because MANY other people also failed to read the fine print (kind bold, actually, but we missed it) and think it's coming with a battery/charger like the other AirHogs products we've purchased...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: EBasil

After I discovered the plane/boat doesn't include the battery/charger, like all other Air Hogs do, I just ordered the $30.00 kit from WalMart, where I got the plane. I ordered the plane two days ago: to be shipped October. I ordered the battery just now: to be shipped in August. This suggests to me that they have a supply of battery/chargers because MANY other people also failed to read the fine print (kind bold, actually, but we missed it) and think it's coming with a battery/charger like the other AirHogs products we've purchased...
i went ahead and ordered the charger accessory. i'm new to all this, but i'd imagine a lot of people will assume it comes with a battery.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:03 PM

Yea, Well, mabey it's a thing that wears out after time...It's better than having to buy a whole new RTF SL...
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM

Yea, Well, mabey it's a thing that wears out after time...It's better than having to buy a whole new RTF SL...
They could sell replacement batteries, just like ParkZone, HobbyZone and any other RTF company does, without misleading buyers by failing to include them in the box with the plane. Hey, raise the price, but sell RTF's off the retail shelf that are RTF just like the rest of the AirHogs line.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:19 PM

Hey, It's one of those things where you have to read it twice before you buy it. It like an advertissment: NEW TRUCK! Looks Great! Awesome interior! Sweet rims, Mostly chrome, slammin' paint-job!!! Phone: 555-5555 Does not include engine, transmission or drivelines. Get my drift? Yes, it is decieving, but it's a company trying to make money, like all other businesses.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM

Good point. I just don't think that AirHogs should be lowering themselves to the sleaze-level of used car salesmen that would sell a truck like that. I expect it was unintentional, and that they will realize the error, soon enough. I think their customer base expects their products to be RTF, and will be surprised to find that the product they bought is not.

Not everyone is as cynical, sharp-eyed and willing to accept gaffs like that as you are.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:33 PM

I've ordered both from WalMart as well. Wanted the orange one, but chose the yellow one since its in stock to ship in Aug.

I've heard that the battery takes 8hours (max) to full charge. Does anyone know the typical run time though from one battery?

Old 08-02-2006, 02:28 PM

Ebasil: The SL will be releases w/ the battery+charger in a few months as a RTF combo, but for now, you have to buy 'em separate.

Really? 8 hours?!? Here are all the specs: EDIT: I can't see run time or charge time on there...weird. What are they UAV Pilot?!?!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46355.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	500710  
Old 08-02-2006, 02:37 PM

it looks like the TX uses AA. will it work with NiMh?
Old 08-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Yes there will be some sold with the battery included.

I don't think Air hogs is doing anything "sleazy". This is what market research shows that many consumers and mostly retailers want.

Some buy them as a gifts and do not want to spend the extra money on the battery.

Some retailers purposely do not buy enough battery's for there stock to cover the amount of product needing them because of this fact.

The boxes are CLEARLY marked that the battery is not included.

The ones that do include the battery are also clearly marked.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Ebasil: The SL will be releases w/ the battery+charger in a few months as a RTF combo, but for now, you have to buy 'em separate.

Really? 8 hours?!? Here are all the specs: EDIT: I can't see run time or charge time on there...weird. What are they UAV Pilot?!?!
8 hours?[:'(] I don't think so.

It is a two hour charger. This is because if you asked any Lipo manufacture , they will recommend that to safely charge a lipo , the charge cycle must be .5 C or less.

Run time varies . About 6 minutes in the air, or 10 + minutes driving around on the ground just doing short hops and jumps. This greatly depends on the surface your driving on though.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:47 PM

do most of the other air hog items include batteries? i know the F16 includes a battery in the plane, so I almost didn't order the battery for this one.

if selling the battery seperately is such a good idea, why don't they do that with the transmitter? sell that seperately for an extra $30 and then you'd really stick it to the gift receiver.

I'm thinking it's only slightly sleazy.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:56 PM

[:@]Why the heck would any body think that saving the consumer some money as sleazy? IT IS CLEARLY MARKED ON THE BOX.

Air Hogs can't help if the retailers don't make it apparent on there web site that. Air hogs has no control of that.

You would have to be an Idiot to by a battery powered object and not look to see if the battery is included.

And like I KEEP saying , There will be some included with the battery.

I think that Air Hogs did us a freaking favor by not making us buy a dam battery if we just want another SL. Geesh
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 PM

Abd if something happened to the battery you could just buy the replacement instead of buying a wole new storm launcher.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:10 PM

We're all entitled to our opinions. I don't see them doing me a big favor or saving me money by not including an item you must have. I see it creating confusion and some unhappy customers. again, why not sell the plane seperately without a transmitter/controller for even cheaper? Why am i required to purchase another transmitter if I want a second plane?

also, is the stormlauncher.com website run by the retailers or air hogs?

Old 08-02-2006, 04:46 PM

I'm excited to hear how durable the plane has been and can't wait to get mine. I wonder, if I damage the radio, do I have to buy a whole plane to get another? What if I, being a hobbyist, already have a nice radio, boxes of batteries, micro servos and a tx/rx set laying about? Do I have to buy a radio and toy servos just to get the plane chassis? [>:]

Yeah, it gets obvious, very quickly, that the justifications are illogical. The most plausible explanation so far is that some wonk at AirHogs had some reason to think that consumers expect to buy their own AA cells for the transmitters in existing AirHog products and assumed that means they'd also expect to pay $30.00 for a unique battery and charger they can't get anywhere else (unlike an AA cell). Whoops! That poor wonk must not have known about ParkZone, HobbyZone, and all the other RTF's that include the charger and battery. But, did that person not realize the other products in their own line include battery/charger?

What would we say about an auto dealer that advertised 2007 Toyota 4Runners for $11,750.00*? Is that saving the consumer money, or something else? If we close our eyes and hum real loud, will it change the truth?

*motor and electronics not included. Extra fees apply.

Still a simple fix: bundle 'em. Sure, the $100-110 True Price might scare off some consumers that would/did bite at $70-80. But it would also eliminate the needlessly frustrated ones.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:53 PM

[:@]..
Old 08-02-2006, 05:12 PM

You have obvious difficulty with the appropriate separation between your design, your product and the way it's being marketed to consumers. [Edit by Author: this was in response to a personal attack, subsequently deleted from the post above.]

Nobody, especially me, has criticized the performance or design of a product that we're eagerly awaiting. I'm personally so interested, that I paid an additonal 45% upgrade to purchase the plane after I realized the mistake I'd made in failing to see what numbers of others have also failed to see (call WalMart and ask them how many planes, vs. how many battery kits have been sold...you may have an epiphany you don't want) about the missing parts. I made that assumption because, unlike the self-important gods of RC aviation, I have only purchased RTF planes to date. I have 1-channel Cox SkyRanger ducted-fan planes (plane battery/charger included), AirHogs Aero Aces (plane battery/charger included), AirHogs F-16 (plane battery bonded-in, and charger included). All of those wer purchased at big box or toy stores, where toys belong. I also have purchased two RTFs from ParkZone and HobbyZone, both of which come with the plane battery, the charger, a reusable radio, RX and servos (argue about quality with other RC studs) and even AA's for the radio. As a purchaser of other AirHogs products, I was surprised to miss the fact that a $30 battery kit is missing from the Storm Launcher item. I posted, because this and other sites have been immensely helpful to me, and I'd want others to know what I learned in advance.

It turns out that my instinct was dead-right: the hint for your own illumination is nested above. Somebody goofed. Maybe it was you, maybe not. I'm not the one that loses money if I'm right, and WalMart says I'm right. []

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.