Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

Cox warbird/Lipo battery question

Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Cox warbird/Lipo battery question

Old 08-11-2006, 10:21 PM
packyj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox warbird/Lipo battery question

I've just built one of the small warbirds from coxmodels.com... I decided to use the small board they provide with the kit so I could have an on/off switch. My question with the lipo is this... if i've got the lipo battery plugged into this board can I still charge it through it's charge plug (obviously not the one on the switch board provided) while the discharge plug is plugged in even if the switch it's wired to is in the off position?

Hopefully this makes enough sense to get a response.

Patrick
Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM
franklydude

Default RE: Cox warbird/Lipo battery question

I'm not sure it does make sense, :-) Do you have the battery soldered to the switch board, with a loose battery socket wired in parallel? If so, you can charge it through either that socket, or the one on the switch board, it makes no difference.... I just solder my lipo via short wires directly to the board and use the socket on the board to charge it. On my next warbird I'm contemplating using magnetic battery connectors to facilitate battey removal without soldering, but I don't like the idea of cutting a hatch anyway.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:45 PM
XE521

I suggest that you both read the manufacturer's instructions on the use of lipos.

One of their instructions is, DO NOT charge in situ. Remove and charge in a safe place.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:47 AM
packyj

Thank you for the responses. The battery I'm using is from great planes... it has a charge and a discharge lead. What I had been concerned about was charging the battery if the discharge lead was still plugged in to the switch plate. I was just unsure whether or not the charge process could have an ill effect while the battery was plugged into the charge plate still... I'm guessing it wouldn't since the charge plate in the off position is breaking the circuit

xe... with the cox planes removing the battery and charging in a "safe location" is near impossible... maybe with an etec or kokam battery but most definetly not with the great planes batteries.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Justin-san

I would not use the circuit board. There may be a shorting issue with them. I burned a motor, Li-Po and speed control. I called them and they said they send a new one. I just plug and unplug the battery with the wing off.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:23 AM
mbj

Justin-san

Did it do the damage right away?
Or was it after repeated use?

These questions are Just out of curiosity.
I have mine wired too the charge plate since I have the P-51 and cannot remove the battery.
I have used it a # of times with no ill effects... but if it is a known problem I dont want too ruin my electronics.
I also Glued my wing on! So accessing the plug would be tough.

Thank You