Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Aero ace jet questions - help!

Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero ace jet questions - help!

Hello all!

I know this probably was discussed before but since i cant find the right answer:

1. How do you avoid porpoising - meaning... I think the fact that the AA jet always wants to climb up.... stalls... comes down and cycle repeats...like a wave ...but eventually losing altitude.

2. What is the best way to add weights to the nose....will this take care of porpoising?

3. Does the AA jet have to fly parallel to the ground for a perfect flight or will it always be a lil tail heavy?

4. How to check the CG for the new AA jet?

Thanks,

Old 08-23-2006, 10:32 PM

Default RE: Aero ace jet questions - help!

I added nose weight to get the jet to fly without so much porpousing. That tends to slow it down some. I use a small nail or wire brad but a thumb tack or push pin will work. You will have to experiment a bit to get the weight right for each plane. But interestingly after it flys for a minute or so it picks up speed and climbs better. It still always flys a bit tail down. It has to to be able to climb with more power. I still like the monoswng AA mod best but have learned to like the jet at least some. By the way - after about 20 flights it started turning sharply left and no amount of trim knob would come close to correcting it. I finally put a little slice in the underside of the right wing tip (about a 1/2 in) and used the silver sticky tab from one of my biplanes to turn the tip up and that corrected the flight path.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:52 AM

Have you done the throttle mod?

I find even with more nose weight and with full throttle mine tended to porpoise. I think what happens is it gets a bit of power up so trys to climb but the motors don't have enough torque to keep it pushing so the wing stalls, picks up speed in the dive and starts to climb again resulting in another loss of speed and another stall. Each successive stall loses altitude.

When I used a little less juice on the throttle I am able to get a smooth level flight. Bumping the throttle up for a fraction of a second allows it to climb.

The throttle mod helps my dumb thumbs a lot to control it.

clovus
Old 08-24-2006, 03:28 PM

I don't really like the throttle mod for the same reasons I don't like the spring off. I like hands on control. That's part of the fun of flying. You are right about the amount of power to give the motors. Just use what you need to get it to fly the way you want. A bit more nose weight might allow you to get a bit more speed. You might try creating a little elevator trim but making short cuts in both sides of the horizontal stabalizer part of the tail. Two cuts a quarter inch deep in from the back edge about an inch apart on both sides. The foam is so spungy you will also have to make shallow cuts on top of the two tail pieces betwen the cuts so you can turn the newly created elevators down. You will probably have to tape them at a small downward angle or use the silver tabs from the biwing box. This will force the tail up and make the jet fly flatter and not drag it down as much as a lot of nose weigth. You will have to experiment. Let me know how it goes. Fact is - the jet is just not the flyer the origional AA is - esp. with the lower wing off. Sad but true.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:43 PM

"silver tabs from the biwing box. "

I dont know what they are and didnt get them in the box???!
Old 08-24-2006, 07:59 PM

Has anyone put the jet motors on the bip? Also i put 2 strips of electrical tape about 2inches long just in front of the switch, running towards the nose of the plane and it flies great. Its a bit faster the original stock jet. Is there a post or link on how to remove the lower wing of the bipe?
Matt
Old 08-24-2006, 10:31 PM

I did fly with a screw under the nose of my aa jet. Porpoising reduced by say 60%. Still If I give power about 80% it does porpoising...

Now to get that to zero porpoising - Should I keep adding weight s to the nose OR do som e trimming on the Horizontal stab in the tail ?
If so share your experiences with what/how you did to the tail to make the AA jet 's nose fly almost parallel? (pitch down a bit)

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:18 AM

my new jet keeps turning to the left. I'm not quite sure how to adjust the wings to compensate
Old 08-25-2006, 11:03 AM

Assuming you turned the trim knob all the way right and it still flys left: I had to turn up the tip of the right wing by cutting the underside surface with a shallow slot about 1/2 inch in from the tip (that is necesary because the fom is so spungy it won't hold a bend otherwise) and used one of the sliver sticky tabs from the biwing box (a small little piece with three sticky alluminum tabs that is in the instruction pouch) to hold the tip up. If you can's find or don't have the little tabs you will have to improvise a subsitute.

In relation to taking the lower wings off the biwing - there is much on that in the appropriate Aero Ace thread but it is a very long thread so I'll repeat it here. The wing and support struts are just glued on. Holding one support strut at one end carefully wiggle it loose. Then do the other end and he other strut. If you are careful you won't over bend or tear them and can glue them back on if you want (but I don't know anyone who would want!). For the lower wing there are really two things you can do. One is cut the wings off at about 2 inches from the body. That will really make a difference (make sure to cut them the same). If you want to go the whole way and think you might want to use them agaon - just wiggle them off the body. They are set into a shallow slot and pull out without too much trouble. Go fly a whole different plane -BUT REMEMBER - you cannot fly in the same small area. It is a lot faster, climbs a lot quicker and turns are a lot bigger - DO NOT FLY IN WIND - you will lose it!
Old 08-25-2006, 05:49 PM

I just took off the lower wings of my first AA and it is now a totally different beast.

I have one heck of a problem now though. The motors seem to cut out for just a split second many times a minute, I only lose a little bit of altitude but it just gets very annoying. I take it something is going haywire and I may have to take it back and get another one. Even if the controller is right by the plane, it still cuts out many, many times.

Good thing I have 2 others.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Take it back Smooth!!![&o]
Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 PM

On the turning trouble - I flew my AA jet for the first time in a weeka nd it seems to be getting worse in wanting to turn left . So I finally desided to turn the back edge of the right vertical stabalizer out to the right and that helped a lot. OS now with full right trim control, right wing tip raised and right rudder configured it flys fine. HOWEVER - even thought the battery would not take any new charge (I had charged it a week ago when I thought I would be able to get out) the jet fllew slow and low for the first coupleof minutes. Then it gradually picked up speed and fly with a decent climb and good turn. FLew abut helf way between the biwing and mono mod in speed and turning.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:04 AM

if i turn the trim knob a ways to the right, it will go straight.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:03 PM

Great - leave it that way then and your good to go!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 AM

it's not that great. i can fly straight, but left turns are sluggish
Old 09-05-2006, 12:39 PM

I tried adjusting the wings, but there wasn't much improvement. I exchanged it today at target. I'm hoping the replacement does a little better.

My first jet (which is gone) was incredible.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: flyinmoose

Has anyone put the jet motors on the bip? Also i put 2 strips of electrical tape about 2inches long just in front of the switch, running towards the nose of the plane and it flies great. Its a bit faster the original stock jet. Is there a post or link on how to remove the lower wing of the bipe?
Matt
I've put the jet motors on my bipe. It's a little faster and a bit more manueverable now I like it.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:30 AM

I have Sanded the trailing edge of both of the wings on the tail at about a 45 degree angle and added 2-3 layers of clear tape to the nose and the porpoising in gone. The jet now glides power off much better than the AA Bipe. I now need to do the transmitter turning mod