Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

picco z problems

Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default picco z problems

So I went RS today and picked up the last Picco Z. It keeps spinning clockwise I tried trimming it with no luck. Dosn't seem to do anything.. Also half the time it just stays on the ground and spins. I checked the batterys in the TX there good. Seems like there alot of vibration at low rpm is that normal? Also it looks like on of the fins (landing gear) is shorter then the other so it leans to the right while siting on a flat surface. Might just take it back to another RS and get another. but in the meantime is there anything I can do ? I think another person had spinning trouble too but i did a search and couldn't find it .
Old 08-24-2006, 09:01 PM

Default RE: picco z problems

Can't help you (yet), still waiting for mine to be sent from another store to mine. Should have it tomorrow. Try the rcgroups forum. Lots of chatter there about the z.

Paul
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 PM

did you give it more throttle? get it in the air and then start trim,push the trim button opposite the spin. if it doesnt work take it back. it will spin before take off. mine leans a bit too, no big deal.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:24 AM

Well, I put a thumbtack in the nose and it helped with forward flight and it was trimmed pretty good with that.. After about 3 mins of flight time it will start to sink and lose attitude. The batt dies after about 10 mins. Without the thumbtack it still spins pretty bad I tried trimming it in the air no luck. Whats everyone getting for flight time ? Do think i should take it back?
Old 08-25-2006, 05:47 AM

Mine spun like that out of the box. It came with little weights like the AHAA ,try those? and the flight time of ten min. is good, if it spins that bad take it back.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 AM

I get about 7-10 minutes of airtime depending on crashes and throttle use. Mine tends to spin a bit during takeoff. I usually just bring it up into a hover, trim it with the buttons, then have fun. When the battery runs out, I charge it and go through the whole process again.

I do have a little scoop on the front made out of packing tape to help with forward movement; like the AA, I left the metal tabs in the box with the instructions

If the spinning is really bad, it wouldn't hurt to bring it back and see if you have a faulty one.

-Jef
Old 08-27-2006, 03:44 AM

I got mine today.
It's easier to just handlaunch the Z than lifting from the floor - no spinning and skittering around. Hold it steady until the rotors get to speed, and it'll lift right out of your hand.
All in all, a very nice teensy heli. Loads of fun.
Flyer
Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 AM

Ya, I got another and this one flys for 10 mins other one must of had a battery issue. These things are pretty darn fun!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:24 AM

flyer 1 did you get yours from radioshack or toysrus? It seems like there slowly making there way eastward..
Old 08-27-2006, 05:29 AM

Got mine at E-Bay.
Flyer
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM

i got mine 3 days ago it flys very well i trimed the rotors a little bit on the leading edge made a huge difference in performance and flight time it added about 5 more minutes to my flight time i now can fly it for about 15min, on a full charge and it made a big differens in power i also made a kanard type of thing on the front out of foam and it now have a very nice not to fast and not to slow forward flight.I personally cant get enough of these little guys there great!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:19 PM

what did you make your canard out of? I find that with weight in the front, it flies nice and stead, but without it's difficult to control.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:15 PM

first i tried a small piece of dupron foam but it breaks to easy so then i used a dixie cup and cut it about 2" long and 1/2" wide and put the curved part of the cup facing downward (a frowning canard) used a little bit of epoxy to hold it on the front of the plane flies great!!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 PM

that sounds easy enough.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:29 PM

I just got a Picco Z from HobbyTron.com, it is awesome, do you guys know if the one Radio Shack sells is the 2006 version? Are they the same?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

there is very little differance between the first batch of helis (PiccoZ) and the ones released right afterwards (PicooZ). the picco has thinner blades, differant body assembly i.e. no glue, and the rotor assembly isnt held together so tightly (easier to mod). otherwise, they're pretty much identicle.

nick
Old 09-12-2006, 06:39 PM

Usually lipo's need to be cycled to ge the most out of them.
My first half dozen flights were short and I thought the battery might be stuffed too but now after a good charge it just goes and goes and goes.....
Old 11-16-2006, 02:43 PM

Hey Picco Z Fans, I just wanted to let you know that HobbyTron.com, one of the Web’s leading suppliers of remote control toys, just kicked off a viral video contest featuring the Picco Z. For official rules, etc visit www.hobbytron.com/piccozcontest . The prizes include a $1,000 gift certificate to HobbyTron.com, two second place $500 gift certificates and 10 honorable mention $50 gift certificates.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:03 PM

doesn't seem to be a lot of interest here but this little guy is fun when it flies. My problem is that it is always trying to go counter cloclwise. I had one and it flew fine for a while, but now no matter how many times I click the right trim button it still just spins. I bought 2 more and just got them today. The both required a couple of right trim taps to fly without spinning, but that's to be expected.
Since I have a really small room with a lot of stuff in it I tend to crash them a lot. Now the one I have been flying the most is almost in the same state as the one I can't fly anymore. Lots of counter clockwise spin and it take a ton of trim click to get it to the point where I can fly it. If left to it's own, however, it would just spin, and I'm afraid it will reach a point where I can't trim it out anymore. Is anyone else seeing this problem? and if so is there a fix?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:10 PM

zestril5, There is an entire thread about this heli. It is designed to go counter clockwise for forward motion. You have to play the controls. If the heli spins a lot check for hair in the tail rotor. Please read the picco z thread. Also in my experience you have to mate a controller to the heli. Good luck, Tim
Old 04-14-2007, 05:59 AM

Helixir here, it is excellent to see all of the interest in indoor heli's, my present passion. Having flown much larger gas & electric choppers, I found the PicooZ and the Gyrotor to be most impressive, especially when the weather is too inclement for outdoor flying of my TREX 450SE. After checking out all of the available web-mods available by trying each mod I found and then tweaking it even further with my own ideas.

Firstly, if you own a Gyrotor, or considering buying one, there are some things you need to know right off the bat:

1. Gyrotors have got definite LiPo battery issues, they don't last very long, even in spite of the fact that is has twice the LiPo batteries as a PicooZ. The only way to get even close to 5 to 7 minutes of flight is by cycling the batteries (I'll explain the best way in a moment). Feel free to argue this fact, most RC experts will assuredly, because nobody thinks LiPo batteries react in this manner. They're wrong, and I base this on the following two factors.

a. AirHogs themselves, informs consumers to 'break in' the LiPo on its AirHogs STORMLAUNCHER by running the unit at an even, moderate speed for its first two runs, and the STORMLAUNCHER uses a 7.4 volt LiPo. The instructions dictate that this will get the batteries used to discharging at an even rate. The average price of a retail Gyrotor runs anywhere from $49.95 (found that price at a Disney store in our hometown mall, so you get to remove a few Buzz Lightyear stickers) to $79.95 on the web. Hint: if you get one from the Disney store, instead of attempting to scrape the Buzz Lightyear stickers off, use a black Sharpie felt tip permanent marker and just paint them black. Looks sweet.

b. I finally started cycling my LiPo's and after two flights, I achieved at the very least, an increase of 6-8 minutes of total uninterrupted flight on each one of my two Gyrotors. I 'cycle' all of my LiPo's now, after noticing how much more flying it gives me. To properly cycle them, first charge them up fully, then hold it in one hand while you give it full throttle with the transmitter in your other hand. Wait until the helicopter battery gets so low that it turns off your 'copter. Recharge, repeat once more, and then just recylce them again when you notice the batteries acting strange again.

c. Fix the Gyrotors faulty landing stick that holds up the tail of the heli by just breaking it off (because it will anyway's), leaving a little stub on the tail boom, then stick a plastic McDonalds coffee stirrer (I spray painted my coffee stirrer black first) around the little tip pushing it up as far as you can (I used a lighter to -gently- soften the plastic of the coffee stirrer) slip it on, let her dry and your good to go. I put a drop of cyanoacrylate (super glue) on mine when it was finished just because it seemed like a good idea.

Secondly, if you own a PicooZ or are considering purchasing one (you should, it's better & cheaper w/longer flight times), here's a few ideas that I use, after discarding the many useless (... and some that could actually be harmful) mods I have observed elsewhere. Btw, all of the knock-off copies out there completely suck except for the Vespid2, which is actually better than the PicooZ. The Vespid2 purrs like a baby tiger and seems to have a much better range. The reson range is important is, should your PicooZ get out of range from you and the transmitter, it will just keep flying and doing the last thing you told it to do, which can obiously be catastrophic if you lose range with it in full throttle, it'll fly like a demon on speed until it eventually does an unpleasant high-impact crash.The best mods for any version of them are as follows:

a. Stick a thumb tack into the nose of it, they need this extra weight to make them more aerodynamic and not windvane left or right when you don't tell it to. Making your PicooZ (or whatever knock-off you've got) as light as you can, like it seems everyone is wanting to try, only makes it more difficult to maintain itself, especially if the air-conditioner in your house is suddenly turned on, or as little as someone shutting a door. They get pretty jicky about breezes.

b. Fly more with less crashes by always hand-launching it. Take the tail boom and hold it between your thumb and index finger underneath the PicooZ, about half-way towards the tail, kind of where the tail rotor meets the main blades and give it a little toss. It flies better and will turn more eyes when you get good at launching it and piloting it back to you so you can reach out and grab it with two fingers, instead of landing it somewhere. Another reason to hand-launch it is to keep your PicooZ out of it's own airwash near the floor, it doesn't fly as good when it's close to the floor as it's generating and then fighting it's own wind being deflected back up to it by the floor or other flat surfaces. I've done some pretty sweet night flying, however the windspeed has to be like, zero, or else one of your neighbors who lives seven houses down finds a free transmitterless PicooZ in their yard in the morning tomorrow.

c. Use a piece of tape (I use the metallic tape, looks cool) to make a 'V' shaped vertical stabilizer on the end of the tailboom. Do this on most any 'copter you've got and you'll experience a much more stable flight.

One very important thing to remember; hot LiPo's (they're hot after any full flight) are dangerous little things that can and have exploded before with results you really wouldn't care to hear about, much less have happen to you, so wait until their cooled down prior to recharging them. You'll also way increase the life of your LiPo.

I'm generally impatient so I stick the whole helicopter into the fridge for two or three minutes, but nothing more as you don't want condensation starting. I do this with all LiPo's and have never had anything red flag me on it, plus I recently saw some guy on the cable TV show 'Inside RC' stick his whole electric racecar with LiPo in to cool it between runs. I may upload some pictures of my blinged & fully modded Gyrotors, Havoc Heli's, and one Vespid2, which, as I stated before, flies better than an actual original PicooZ.

Hope this helps.

~Helixir

Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 PM

Here's a thing I noticed about my Picoo Z (i'm not really sure about this): if the picoo keeps spinning ccw, it may be because it charged for too long. For mine, I got Duracell Plus batteries (they're the strongest, as far as I know) and said "hell yeah!! my picoo will fly like the wind!" but... it flew in circles.. not much like the wind, and no trimming could set it straight. So here's what I tried: I charged it for only 15 minutes and then unplugged the wire from the picoo, without caring if the "Charging" LED was still on. It flew pretty good and was much more fun .

G'luck!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:21 AM

I have one of these in Air Hog Havoc Heli guise. Have used it several flights over the last two months.
Now it's spinning after a couple seconds into a flight. I listen to the hum, or pitch, of the tail rotor and can hear it slow down. Normally can hear the change in pitch with right stick input, but this pitch goes way down, again after only a few seconds.
Of course, have tried charging, new batteries, cleaning shaft etc.
Since it happened all of a sudden, from one flight to the next, I'm thinking a circuit board problem possibly? Thoughts?
Thanks for ideas.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:16 PM

I tried the "power cycling" also known as "memory effect" for re-chargeable batteries.Anchored the Picoo down and used an elastic band on the tx till it ran flat.Re-charged twice and there was an improvement but it runs down in about 5 minutes now.Not flat, but not enough to gain much height.Checked the 3 gears in the drive for wear but they appear to be OK.Does the motor have a power loss issue after a number of hours operation?
The Atlas forward control seems to work in short bursts.Holding it down still only gives 1 burst untill you release and press again.Or is this just mine?
Is the flying experience gained from these usefull for a larger more powerfull model for outdoor use? Is it sunlight that causes signal loss outdoors?Tried it in a large partially constructed warehouse.When it flew past a strong shaft of sunflight, it lost its signal.
Romaurie
Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM

So it seems a replacement Atlas Uranus Li-po cell is available for 34 GBP.I paid 19 GBP. for my new Atlas.The cell would be suitable for the PicooZ Supreme MX which is the 1 I have a problem with.Actually its not mine.A co worker brought 2 back from Cuba and couldn't stop them spinning.I had been looking at the tremendous amount of info available and found that in transit, both tail rotors had lost their pitch.A slight twist corrected this and orf they went.So I got 2 for me and my son. His is now 5 months old and has seen a lot of hard flying while his 2 children and their Dad and me learnt to fly them.
Now I'm familiar with this elecrical component price issue.When you order in the millions, the unit price falls to a fraction of the single unit purchase price.We all know how popular these little whirly- birds are, thus Silverlit can keep their unit price down.But it doesn't make economic sense to purchase a li-po unit from the manufacturer.Maybe if Silverlit would supply a replacement at a sensible price for DIY enthusiasts.
Sorry if I rambled on there.But eventually everyone is gonna be faced with this question.
Romaurie.