Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight
Reload this Page >

"Plane from the Dumpster" (new video)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

"Plane from the Dumpster" (new video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:12 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Plane from the Dumpster" (new video)

Hey,

Yesterday one of my friends came up to me and informed me he had found an RC plane in a dumpster by his office and asked if I wanted it. Well...who can turn down an offer like that?

Ok well here's the plane...I have no idea what it is.

It appears to work the same way as the Aero Ace, One engine slows to turn, both to climb etc. I has a 250mAh NiCd with some type of conector I've never seen before... The motors look like 280 size and they turn 3 bladed ducted fans.

There is a blade broken off one of the fans (probably why someone threw it away). Other than some dings in the foam and the broken fan it seems to be in good shape.

Does anyone know what it is? The transmitter says Flight Command on it but other than that there arnt really any identifying marks.

Anyway, What do ya'll think about ripping the guts out of this one and using them for somthing else? I'm thinking about making a BVM bobcat-ish design (the wings that came with this thing have the right amout of sweep back already). I think I'm going to go with pusher props instead of fans and get a decent battery for it.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 PM
W.A.S.P.S-Flyer

Default RE: Identify the "Plane from the Dumpster!"

Its a cox plane. thats about all I know.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:55 PM
monstermaker13

lucky[:@]
Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM
micro_builder

i have one of those, looks like yours is an older version however. i stuffed in a two cell lipo a few times and it really took off, but it needed a lot of nose weight to stop from stalling. it was fun to fly, but took up too much room (in the field and in the work shop).

as for what to build with it, how about an A-10?

nick
Old 08-31-2006, 06:38 PM
ArmedZagi

Actually I've already started on a bobcat design. However, I really have no idea what prop to run on these little things. What about a zagi prop? Maybe chopped down?
Old 08-31-2006, 07:20 PM
packyj

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=008203

a little late with the link as it's already been said...

I agree that an a-10 would be a fun project for it, and really a minimal amount of work with the parts you've got
Old 08-31-2006, 07:51 PM
ArmedZagi

Well..right now I can't do anything because that broken fan. Is there some place to order replacments? What I'd really like to use is a prop though.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:41 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Check with estes for fan blades. They have one called air force one that looks about the same. The titan I'm supposed to be working on has a similar set of motors, 5 blades and a tube extension though. When I start motor tear down I post any info I find. Tim
Old 08-31-2006, 09:35 PM
ArmedZagi

$1.50 for a replacment impeller isnt bad
[link=https://www.estesrockets.com/cgi-bin/ecommerce.cgi?replacement,4120]replacment parts[/link]
Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 AM
ArmedZagi

I've never built with foam before...can you use epoxy on it? Also can this stuff be painted or somthing?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:39 AM
ArmedZagi

...And while I'm wating on the new fan to come in the mail...

2 toy cars, a piece of scrap balsa, duct tape, and a soldering iron....That thing is Quick!
Old 09-01-2006, 03:54 PM
ArmedZagi

Sorry for another post (4 in a row..ouch!)...but I checked the run time I got on a full charge...30 seconds. Is there somthing wrong with the battery or is that all I can get from a 250mAh nicad?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 PM
packyj

If it's possible you may want to cycle the nicd battery, with the chance of it having a bad memory effect from the previous owners
Old 09-02-2006, 09:44 AM
ArmedZagi

Ok, well, it doesnt look like a bobcat at all. Nope. Not one bit. Of course thats normal for me...I change plans every 30 seconds.

It's about 1/2 as long as it was and needless to say lighter (well ya 1/2 the fues is missing...[&:]) The engines aren't
attached in the pics...just held on with scotch tape...I'm gonna wait to attach them untill the impellers come in. Also I ordered a 6cell 500mAh NiMh pack for it ( I dont have a chrger for LiPos...)

Sorry couldnt resist putting this one in...next to the plane is a 52cc engine I'm going to do a conversion on. The smallest plane I've ever worked on beside the biggest engine I've ever worked on [8D] And I just noticed that my big toe somehow found its way into the picture....

Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Neurotex

Since you posted this I've been looking at the Estes site and the other
ducted fans they have. One has 4 ducted fans and the other plane even has
a digital camera.
How much does the plane weigh now after chopping it?
Looks like it will fly.
Have you tried any glider tests with weights added instead of the ducted fans?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:43 AM
ArmedZagi

Unfortunatly I dont have anything that can measure something that light. But it glides very well.

I used nickels and duct tape as weights. The CG needed to go father foward than I originaly thought so the first few flights ended with a pancake style landing. But after some tweaking I got it zeroed in...the longest glide was about 35-40 feet. It didnt seem to be just blazing fast...so I'm hoping I'll be able to fly it indoors.

I just tried it again...this time with the handle from a ratchet taped on the bottom ...had to throw it rather firmly but I still got 30 feet out of it.

Edit: wow lotsa typos
Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 PM
ArmedZagi

Ok the replacment parts finaly came in and I already test flew it...And quickly learnd that the engine placment on top of the wing didnt work...I threw it and let it glid for a second. Then I hit the power and the nose went strait down. No damage fortunatly. Oh the wonders of EPP...

Anyway I put the engines on the underside of the wing. The problem that I have now is. How do I keep the fan Ducts from breaking when they hit the ground? They stick down way below the bottom of the fueselage. I still have the back half of the fueselage I could make a belly skid from...Or should I use it to beef up the outside of the ducted fans?

In any case...Heres a few pictures for ya'll.

It seems to have pleanty of power...I was "driving" it around in figure-eights on the kitchen floor
Old 09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Default RE: The "Plane from the Dumpster"

The fans on the titan are only shielded by a bit of styro, er depron. I would recommed flights over grass, then landing gear then asphault. Tim
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 AM
ArmedZagi

Couldnt resist posting this...Really is fun...

[link=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/ArmedZagi/Video/?action=view&current=Turning.flv]Doughnuts[/link]

Bet its gonna turn well Also the huge lump under the Fueselage is gonna be cut way down...Its a sort of combo belly skid and battery holder.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
micro_builder

if having the motors on the top of the wing cause it to dive down, theres probably something wrong with the thrust angles. try shimming the front of the motor while its on top of the wing so that the motors dont have any down thrust. might be an easy fix.

as for the short run times with the stock pack, i'd agree with packyj. those old NiCD packs are horrendus, especially if they've been sitting for a long time. doing a deep cycle discharge and recharge might bring back some power, but you'll probably be a lot happier with a new NiMH pack, or a two cell lipo pack.

nick
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 AM
ArmedZagi

ORIGINAL: micro_builder

if having the motors on the top of the wing cause it to dive down, theres probably something wrong with the thrust angles. try shimming the front of the motor while its on top of the wing so that the motors dont have any down thrust. might be an easy fix.

as for the short run times with the stock pack, i'd agree with packyj. those old NiCD packs are horrendus, especially if they've been sitting for a long time. doing a deep cycle discharge and recharge might bring back some power, but you'll probably be a lot happier with a new NiMH pack, or a two cell lipo pack.

nick
I already have a new 500mah NiMh in it. As soon as the dew dries up and the (rather high) wind lays, I'll make a test flight. One of the benifits of living in the middle of nowhere...I can fly right outside my backdoor [8D].
Old 09-13-2006, 11:49 AM
micro_builder

ORIGINAL: ArmedZagi
One of the benifits of living in the middle of nowhere...I can fly right outside my backdoor [8D].
i know exactly what you mean, the i have two perfect little flying spots in the yard, and to the north, east, and south of our yard we've got three massive fields. enough room that when i get the F-27C that does 80mph in a straight line shot, i'll still have pleanty of room. my folks have a perfect flying area as well, 6+ acres! only problem with my parents field, is that i'm usually the one who has to mow all of it when i go over there

first picture is the of the field to the east, the 2nd pic is of the field straight north, and the last pic is of my parents field. i dont have one of the south field, but, if you've seen one field, you've seen them all!

nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23232.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	523411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93155.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	523412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65563.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	523413  
Old 09-14-2006, 03:26 PM
ArmedZagi

Well, with the wind blowing around 10-15mph (you can hear it in the video) I went out and tried the plane. And contrary my predictions..It worked. [X(]?

Check it out.
[link=http://youtube.com/watch?v=q34F2JPUBBs]Test flight[/link]

It flew great until I turned downwind. The landing was rather hard yes...but the wing popped off like it was desinged to and nothing happend. Rather than tempt fate again, my next few flights will be indoors. The local boys and girls club has an open indoor building with 8 basketball courts. Should be enough room. I'll post more when I try it.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:06 PM
ArmedZagi

Default RE: "Plane from the Dumpster" (new video)

Well the foam sleeve around the fans has finaly broken beyond repair. I would REALLY like to go to props but have no idea what prop size to use. I think the motors are 280 size?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:34 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Default RE: "Plane from the Dumpster" (new video)

Armedzagi, how long are your motor asemblies? The motors I have are 4.25 long, with an intake width of 1.75 and an exhaust width of 1.5. This is with a 5 bladed impeller. Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.