Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

5" MicroMite

Old 09-01-2006, 02:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5" MicroMite

the piccoZ tail prop looks so nice, it was just begging to be put in a plane. how could i say no?

since the main wing on the Square9 has suffered some breakage in a few places, i figured i'd put it up the shelf and build something for the new prop. the MicroMite was the first "real" micro RC plane i built, and since this was the first time i was building a 4mm direct drive powered airplane, it seemed like a good choice.

the whole thing is 1/32" balsa, i didnt sand it much, so its kinda heavy at .5 grams. nick leichty RX and actuator, 30mah lipo, and the motor is the same size as in the Picco, but it has a higher resistance. AUW is 3 grams even, with a scant 6.5 square inches of wing area.

i'm still waiting for the grass to dry out to give it a maiden, there seems to be enough thrust, so here's hoping she flys.

nick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62691.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	517105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66893.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	517106  
Old 09-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Default RE: 5" MicroMite

Wow..thats tiny! Just curious but wouldnt it be better to put the motor IN the wood at the front instead of on the side? That would also take out some balsa...probly wouldnt be much weight, but on somthing that small every gram counts.

Can't wait to hear how it flies.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:41 PM

wow, that is tiny!
Can't you test that indoors?
If you can fly that AA indoors....

oh, since you're here, what is the trouble you find in trimming bipes?
Also what should I look for first in trimming a tripe?

I just ran across a tripe you made on RC groups. Said it was a bit heavy.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:13 AM

armedzagi,
putting the motor on the side, rather than inside the wood, lets me put some side thrust in motor angle, while still keeping it rigid enough. if it were 1/16th balsa or thicker, i would've cut a slot for the motor, the 1/32 was just too thin. i also wasnt exactly sure of the thrust angles i was going to need. the prop rotates counter clockwise, so some things are backwards - which apprently is very confusing to me!

neurotex,
i'm not getting a lot of rudder deflection at the moment, i need to find some more flexible hinge material. if i was getting more throw, i could probably fly it inside, its not as fast as i was expecting. my girlfriend just took a job coaching a schools soccer team, so i'll have access to a gym quite often. i'm hoping to get the plane in there and see how it really performs. i flew it yesterday at my folks house, there was a very lite breeze, but enough to mess around with things. but it did fly, so thats excellent, lots very tiny planes are buildable now!

nick
Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 PM

On one CL kit I purchased years ago it came with cloth hinges. Very flexible.
Not sure on something that small.
Yeah, I'm thinking of finding a place indoors too. Been too windy to do anything
for a week now.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:40 PM

What about a couple small pieces of clear packaging tape for a hinge? Weighs practicly nothing and is really flexible.