Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

Old 09-15-2006, 08:58 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

Hi all, I have naked pics for you. Not that kind, here is a gyrotor stripped down. I guess I decided to keep it for parts.

Richard, I can post a pic of what I did with the picco z last night, but I don't have a flayable gyrotor right now. Okay I caught that as I was typing it, obviously I have a flayed heli on display. I do not, at this time, have a flyable gyrotor. Tim

PS, I tried to get a decent shot of the CB, but my camera or I was inadequate to the task. The board is substantially busier that the AA board. Tim

I'm putting it back together shortly, if more pic's are desired, let me know soon, tim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53900.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	524635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94641.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	524636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92885.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	524637  
Old 09-15-2006, 09:29 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Chaching, is it possible for you to put pictures of your tail mod up? I know what I was envisioning, but not what you did. What materials did you use? I'm using pieces of foam plate and tape. You appear to have the first flyable gyrotor, on this forum. Tim
Old 09-15-2006, 11:17 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hi all, I reinstalled the shell the way it should have been instaled the first time. The heli is already flying better. I'm taking chaching at his word that recycling the battery several times will make the heli fly better. since it is a 2 battery aircraft that makes sense. for future reference the shell weighs 1.8g. No room for cut downs there. Tim
Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hi all, I just took my gyrotor outside and got to 8' not 8". I still need to figure out the tail. Chaching says the tail mod works, but the way I envisioned it when writing is not working on my gyrotor. The other side of that story is that I was ready to return it as unflyable last week. I'm still waiting for my new one to arrive. I paid for it, it is not an exchange. Then I should be able to figure out what is going on. Tim
Old 09-18-2006, 11:42 PM
ChaChing

I went to see my Sister's this weekend, with my GyRotor - I let my nephews fly it (big mistake)- end result is that the rotor shaft got sheered in two. I've got some 2mm carbon rod with which to repair it, I've already cut it to size, I just need to get the remaining parts of the shaft removed from the main rotor and flywheel, I'm hopong that nail-varnish remover will work.

In response to Tim: Battery re-cycleing still seems to be having a possitive effect, I haven't timed it but it's seems to fly for longer now, at least 7 mins. My ad-hoc implementation of your tail-wing idea: was to cut a 1cmx2cm piece of 100gsm paper, I placed this (centered) on to a piece of clear tape of about 1.2x2.5cm. I then folded the paper in half, thus laminating it, leaving two small edges of sticky tape for fixing. I fixed this to the tail in front of the rear motor - centered on the rear rotors blade as it passes that point of the tail. I could change the angle of the wing from parralel to nearly perpendicular, to the ground.

This didn't solve having to re-trim as the bateries drained, though it did shift the trim so you had more room to play with on the RCs trim setting. All-in-all it is an interesting idea which I think could be implemented a lot better than I did.

Like you I've had to open the little baby up. The batteries go very close to the tip of the nose so I think people should be careful when cuuting open. I will try to take some pics of the boards for reference, and when mine flies again, I will photo the tail wing.

Richard
Old 09-19-2006, 12:30 AM
ChaChing

I neglected to say that while replacing the main rotor shaft you have to saw through the bottom section of the shaft housing (below the second washer), this is not for the faint hearted. If anyone has a better idea than nail-varnish remover to disolve the factory's glue, holding the shaft to the rotor assembleage and flywheel, please let me know.

Richard
Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Did you try goof-off? I got my second one today. It flies better out of the box. I'll post more as the batteries get to full speed. The first one seems to have a bind in the powertrain, the main rotor is easier to turn by hand on the new one. Tim
Old 09-21-2006, 08:26 PM
ChaChing

I'm pleased to report that my repair was a success, I can't believe that she flys again. I ended-up drilling out the remaining carbon rod from the rotor assembleage, no solvents seemed to work - but it fles as well as before.

Tim, how is your new heli doing, has battery re-cycleing proved successful? when you dismantled your faulty one did you use any adhesive st stick the fuselage together, is so what? I'm thinking of using an impact adhesive, but I'm worried it might make it very difficult to open-up in future.

Richard
Old 09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Chaching, when I put foam to foam I use that scrap book glue dispenser thing. It looks like a .... I'll post a pic. But for foam to foam it works great.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:21 PM
ChaChing

Using scrap-book glue seems like a really good idea, doesn't it takes ages to really dry/set, thus allowing you to open-up the foam body for a few days (at least) without having to apply more glue - that would be great. Can it withstand a good crash though?

If you are still curious, now that I have a working helli, I can add the tail wing and post a pic of it - once I can dig-up my camera. I will have to secure the fusalage before flight testing in earnest though.

I'm suprised that the forums are so quiete, hasn't anyone received there Gyrotors yet - I was hoping to get some answers and tips, especially regarding removing that pesky Tx spring on the Gyrotor.

Richard
Old 09-21-2006, 09:22 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I'm not quite sure why I'm posting this, but this is the glue I use to put foam to foam. It works well, and is cheaper than the stuff they sell at the hobby stores. Tim

Name:	Ni23354.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	528130  
Old 09-21-2006, 09:25 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I phrased that poorly. I knew that I was posting the glue thingy that I use regularly, But I have posted on it before, and never included a pic.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
ChaChing

Thanks for the pic, I have something similar to that made by Tipp-Ex. It's not what I imagined you were talking about, I think that the residual, factory, glue on the foam would have more stickingpower than that stuff, but your Scotch thing might be a lot more powerful than the Tipp-Ex stuff.

Thanks again for the feedback and pic.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

The scotch glue thing is also holding together a couple of aero aces. I think it is thin ca on a dispenser. That is my theory. Tim
Old 09-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Maguro

Have enjoyed reading all of your comments so far. FerndaleAF so what are your final conclusions regarding the Gyrotor? Would you recommend this over the PiccoZ?

ChaChing, I'd still be interested in seeing your tail wing mod, will you still be posting a pic..

It doesn't seem like the Gyrotor is widely available, you are the only two guys who have commented on this copter, online seems to be the best bet..
Old 09-24-2006, 09:11 PM
ChaChing

My first new rotor shaft repair only held untill the first medium crash, it hit a pendulum light and dropped ten feet. I figure that I didn't use enough CA and also didn't let it cure properly. My second attempt is proving much more robust - I placed Ca in the rotor housing, then allowed more to wick into the, very small, gap between shaft and mount, after all that had cured I then added more CA to the shaft just below the rotor shaft mount. It's already suffered some medium to high level impacts and seems to be fine. There is a lot less woble in the shaft after my repair, I think factory set rotor shaft might have problem's sometimes regarding allignment. I also have lowered the height of the blades, they are now 3-4mm closer to the fusalage - seems to work.

I did some weight testing and have estimated the Gyrotor can lift up to a maximum of 5 grams. I used a steel precision screw driver and some blue-tak as dead weight and it could just about leave ground affect. I'm hopeing it will easilly carry 3 to 3.5 extra grams.

I'm intending on replacing the washer bearings with ball bearings this week, from what Nitrocharged reported in RCGroups it is a good mod for the PicooZ. I've found some 2x4x1 open bearings - I guess this mod will add about 0.7 grams net. I was also thinking of getting the more capacitous batteries from FullRiver they will add a net weight of 2.6 grams but will offer over 50% more capacity, they will be a tight fit though.

So after re-greasing the gears, lubing the motors and replacing the rotor shaft my Gyrotor is flying better than ever.

Maguro, I might make another tail wing and see how it fairs, I'm having a lot less trim problems now though, so i don't think it needs it anymore.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:44 PM
ChaChing

I managed to get the spring out of the Tx's throtle control, non-destructively. The trick to opening the case
is to cut the glue holding the large plastic washer surounding the antenna's mount point, once this is pulled-off (it can be fitted back easilly) then the Tx's shell opens, as you would expect, via the 4 screws. I like this mod but there needs to be more resistance on the throtle control, I have an idea but it would be difficult to explain, however, it should be very easy to do (it involves glueing fabric in the Tx's throtle assembly).

Ferndale Tim, how's the second Gyrotor handleing now?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hi all, the second gyrotor is working well. But the weather has been so good lately that I have been flying the aces, or so windy I can't fly anything. I took both gyrotors out tonight to see why they aren't flying for me. I came away from the flights with 2 issues. The tail needs help to maintain a heading, and the nose needs some weight.
Tonight I worked on the tail assembly. Tomorrow, I'll work on the nose. This tail wing mod seems to keep the heli controllable. I have very little forward motion so far. I think a set of wings or a scoop will solve this problem. If anyone is trying to duplicate this I made the stabilizers out of a foam picnic plate. 1 or 1.5mm depron, virtually weightless. If you want numbers let me know.

Here are the pic's. Tim

Name:	Li21098.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	529851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39453.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	529852  
Old 09-24-2006, 10:41 PM
ChaChing

Ferndale: The wings look good, so does the heli - I don't think you crash nearly as much as I do. I'm suprised that you are not getting enough forward motion, I would like about 50% of what I have now. Mine must be flying at about 3mph, when allowed to. I think my batteries are too far forward, maybe you could try moving yours a little forward instead of installing the scoop? That all makes me think that if I change the batteries, adding 2.6 grams infront of the CofG that my heli will be so fast that it will be out of sight before I can do anything about it.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:19 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Chaching, if I left the tail alone, the plane goes forward and up. But it does not turn well. I decided to work backwards on the problem. First make it controllable left/right and then feed in forward motion. Climb is no longer an issue with either gyrotor. I just checked the pic's. I don't think moving the batteries forward is an option. I'm thinking canards right now. Or maybe a fake FLIR rig. Tim
Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Hi all, I just searched for gyrotors on google. It appears that their aren't that many out there. If your thinking of buying a heli and can't decide which one, I like my gyrotor much more than my 3 channel br clone. Tim
Old 09-25-2006, 07:41 PM
ChaChing

Hi guys! due to Maguro's recent interest in my original laminated paper tail-wing I decided to try out a more robust version. So I have included some pics of version 2. The pics are not that great but they give the general idea. I used some polystyrene foam coated in scotch tape and attached it with ca. I carved the wing with an oiled blade.

Well I'm glad that the subject of tail-wings was raised again, if it hadn't been I wouldn't have added one for some time. The tail wing is really helpful in controlling the craft, turning is more responsive and porpousing is nearly a thing of the past.

Name:	Om33052.jpg
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	530409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36464.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	530410  
Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Chaching, wow, not what I was thinking of at all. A perfect example of why drawings or pic's or, shudder, clear language should be used. It's equally an example of an idea morphing from one person to another. Looks good. Tim
Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, here are pics of failed mods. With the tail wings I put on the gyrotor, it backs up like a huey in dust off mode. Tail heavy and backwards and to the right. I tried to gain forward flight with small wings and a small scoop. I should say that I tried the nose cone and a push pin. The push pin is not recommended. If you're not really careful you will hit wiring. And it did not work. I'll continue to work with the airplane. Too much tail wing?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

one thing you might try for getting more forward flight is changing the angle of the tail motor. on the picco if you angle it pointing up or down, you get more or less speed. i dont know if it would work the same on the gyrotor, but it couldnt be too hard to try, it just takes a little twist on the picco to change it a lot.

nick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.