Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 PM
micro_builder
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gyrotor indoor/outdoor Heli

one thing you might try for getting more forward flight is changing the angle of the tail motor. on the picco if you angle it pointing up or down, you get more or less speed. i dont know if it would work the same on the gyrotor, but it couldnt be too hard to try, it just takes a little twist on the picco to change it a lot.

nick
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

You're smart. Tim
Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 PM
ChaChing

I trimmed some off the wing and it works well (see pic).

I'm thinking of adding a refined version of this design which I would invert (pointing up, instead of pointing down), this should push the nose up more, I think.

I was also considering an assymetric tail rig - using a larger aero foil on top aligned at 25 degrees (2:30 o'clock) from the horizontal, keeping the lower part smaller in size than my last version and angled the same (4:30 o'clock).

I'm reluctant to place any aerofoils (canards) under the main rotor as this will reduce lift and hence require more battery power to sustain flight. By my reckoning the air coming from the tail rotor is "free energy", so I would rather use this for trimming and changing the aerodynamics.

Ferndale, I've found the tail-twist recomended by micro-builder only works for a short while when implemented on the GyRotor, but it does work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77561.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	530574  
Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 AM
Maguro

Hey guys,

Thanks for folllowing up with all the pics. As Tim said a picture is worth a thousand words.. Geez I can't wait to get mine. All of your efforts are much appreciated.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I think I'm going to add some nose weight internally. I'll start with 2g. BTW, I don't know if I ever answered the question about the scrapbook glue. As long as it's foam to foam it locks up well. I'm using it for my aces as well. And I don't bother with landing gear on those.

ChaChing, how did your nephews manage to shear the rotor rod? I want to avoid that. My nearly 3 year old nephew has flown a gyrotor outside. We had a safety brief everytime he turned it on. He just crashed into the bushes and lawn. Tim
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 PM
ChaChing

I ordered some bearings (2x5x1.5(bore/Outer diameter/height) - 0.2 grammes) for the rotor shaft, I can't
believe how cool these things are - replacing the existing washer bearings with them should yield virtually
no extra weight, 0.2 grammes at the most. The cheapest way to get them, at the moment, is to buy Micron
replacement part m022, they're about $6. All online stores, I believe incorectly, list the dimensions as 1.5x2x5.

I'm not sure if I will replace both the lower and upper bearings, the bottom one is the more important, as it is load bearing. The top one will be a very tight fit - I think the shaft mount is under 6mm wide at the top.

Ferndale, that awful shaft shearing occured indoors, the culprit was a low profile aluminium pendulum lamp-
shade. The shade had a fine leading edge, about 10mm and a very gradual slope , the GyRotor managed to have it's main rotor on the top of the shade while the fusalage was below it. I figure that the spin of the rotor allowed the shade to litterally lever the rotor blades from the heli, it droped to the table below in two pieces, strands of carbon fillaments at the two severed ends. I realy thought that was it and was thinking, philisophicaly, that it had been a fun few days, so you can imagine my relief and joy when I realized I could repair it.

Your 3yo nephew must be pretty smart to fly the heli at his age. I guess it's a testament to the robust design of these helis that you would even chance it.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I started him on aces. But I taught him that if I say to stop, he must stop. Little ritual, has to be sitting down, has to watch the airplane, not the controller, has to listen and hear and do. It's a treat not an everyday. Although I do need to build him another ace, he flew my first one until 3 feet of alt. was good. I rebuilt it as a glider, but he wants motors. He'll be 3 next tuesday. Astronaut material?

OK, here is what I started tonight. I cut the rudder panels out. On one plane(heli) I left the stab at 90 degrees and added 1.5g on the batteries. I used poster tack not a metallic object for the weight. On the other plane I set the stab at 45 degrees, no weight.

I tried to test them out but it was dark. The one with weight was the farthest away. But it would not respond to controls. But it was dark. Indoors, in my apartment, both are unflyable. Tim
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

here are a couple of pic's of the new stab.

Name:	Zx71362.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	531056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66229.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	531057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76827.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	531058  
Old 09-26-2006, 10:55 PM
ChaChing

Ferndale, it's a nice anguler design. It's just a thought, but have you tried reducing the surface area of you wing/rudder panel, it looks a little large from the pictures you posted. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks about 2.5cmx4.5cm - just as a guide my tail-wing was carved from a block of 1.5x2x3cm foam.

What behaviour are they exhibiting that makes them unflyable indoors? Mine is very controllable now. I can easily hover move right and left - including left-handed spins (slowly). Forward motion is 30% less than before, which I like. I haven't yet tested it outside, but I am optimistic.

I have been playing with the idea of making the heli a little heavier too, I'm hoping to find a throttle setting that will produce no climb/drop at all, and I figure it could be accomplished by weight.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:32 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

The lack of space indoors is the problem. I have a long run east west, but north south is limited. So if I get much spin or out of control at all, I hit something. I don't have enough space to get the bird up and organized. Maybe I should practice inside, the go outside. I cut the rudder out entirely, I now just have the stabs. I'm thinking that a smaller rudder might work. One step forward, two steps back et.c. Tim
Old 09-28-2006, 10:27 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

For those of you unwilling to buy online, I think the general release date is Nov. 30. That is the date I got from hobby people, a socal hobby chain. Hobbytron has/had some but they appear to be an online entity. I don't know who will get the planes for retail sale, but an Aussie asked why I wasn't buying the gyrotor at radio shack. A hint? Tim
Old 10-02-2006, 06:55 PM
ChaChing

I replaced the bottom bearing on the GyRotor with one of the Micron M022 bearings and it flies better now. My assumption was correct regarding their size they are infact 2x5x1.5mm, so consequently a perfect fit.

The main benefit of the new bearing is about a 15% increase in power. The Gyrotor throttle I believe goes from 0 to 15, zero being off. To paraphrase This is Spinal Tap - mine goes up to 18. I've also slightly reduced the width of the carbon rotor shaft by sanding it down 0.2mm or so, this should have reduced the friction in the rotor housing.

Space indoors has been a real problem for me also, too many damn obstacles. If your take off isn't strong
you get caught in ground-effect and have to halt the engines before ploughing into something. I'm forever
wishing I had a couple of extra feet of clear floor space and as for pendant lighting or ceiling fans - don't
get me started!

The bearing upgrade allows for much smoother transitions in power via the throttle and also more oomph at take-off. The bearing along with the tail wing have made my heli very flyable indoors. One of my nephew's bought one last week, but when he flew mine yesterday he was really jealous - modified they are so much better.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:00 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Where do I find this bearing and what is it called, for ordering. I think I need to go back to factory on one plane and mod the other. I need a control. Tim
Old 10-02-2006, 10:20 PM
ChaChing

You can get the barings from www.precisionheli.com, they are $5.95 or try googleing Micron + m022. They are fiddly to install but work well.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM
Djstinger

I saw one of these for sale on e-bay today.But i'm not sure what to get, I was thinking about a lama v3!!
Old 10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
ChaChing

The Lama and the Gyrotor are hardly comparable. The Lama is more than twice the price, has more channels and is a lot larger than the humble Gyrotor. The Gyrotor is great for what it is though.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:27 PM
ChaChing

To replace the GyRotor's bearing with the Micron M022 main shaft bearing (2x5x1.5mm). Well this is how I did it anyway.

1. Remove the bottom black restrainer from the main rotor-shaft assembly. Cut below the steel washer bearing using a junior hacksaw blade.

2. Remove the fuselage and lift out the rotor shaft with the white plastic gear wheel still attached to the shaft.

3. Remove the brass bearing at the bottom of the shaft housing - lever it off with a blade.

4. Remove the landing-gear, it just pulls-off, exposing the rotor housing proper. Cut-off about 1mm from the bottom of the plastic rotor housing. Make sure your cut was straight, if not, sand it until it's level.

5. Re-attach the landing-gear. It is keyed so it should go on straight.

Now the tricky bit, if any glue gets in to the ball race of the bearing it's bye-bye bearing.

6. Place the new ball bearing on a 2mm diameter rod, ensure it is a very firm fit. It is possible to use the removed rotor shaft for this, if the width isn't quite large enough add a little CA to the end of the shaft. Once the bearing issecure (NOT GLUED) apply CA on the outside edge of the bearing - maybe use a needle to apply it. Then insert the bearing in to the opening in the landing gear, forcing it up until it meets the, now shortened, shaft housing and hold in place until the glue has cured. The bearing should now be attached to the inside of the landing gear tube. Test that the bearing is secure and free moving by spinning it, if it is remove the rod you inserted the bearing with.

7. Sand the carbon rotor shaft below the white plastic gear wheel, removing about 0.1mm of carbon rod. It may be possible to trim a little of the rotor shaft, so insert through the housing and bearing and see if it is too long. This rotor-shaft sanding is a good mod by itself, boy does it reduce friction. Wipe the rotor shaft, removing any powdered carbon.

8. Place a small ammount of CA in the bore of the bearing and quickly insert the shaft into the housing, finally passing through the newly installed bearing. Let the shaft set in place inside the bore of the bearing.

If the bearing hasn't seized and the glue has held, just re-attach the fuselage and the job is done.

Below are some after pics for illustration, you might notice that I cut-off too much of the main rotor shaft housing, causing my bearing to be quite recessed, but I guess it is a little lighter now.

Name:	Bz76916.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	535439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91544.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	535440  
Old 10-04-2006, 11:14 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

That is moderately terifiying, given what I'm working on for my aces right now. Tim
Old 10-07-2006, 08:22 PM
ChaChing

Hi all. My Gyrotor is still flying great with the mods, I have made numerous new tail-wing designs but haven't fitted any of them yet because the original hasn't broken! The fuselage has needed repair, the rotors have been re-fitted three times but the little laminated wing still holds firm.

I'm eagerly anticipating the battery upgrade/mod. I was intending on using Fullriver model 652026H10C which is a 200mah/90mOhms battery 4.9g, the stock batteries are 130mah/95mOhms 3.6g. I found a battery from IBTwhich is 230mah and only 4.8g! The IBT battery would give 77% more capacity as opposed to the fullriver 200mah's 54%. I have flight tested with the extra battery weight added in the correct place and it works really well, infact the heli is more stable and responsive.

Can anyone see a problem with the impedance being 5mOhms less on the 200mah battery? I can't see one myself, infact I would have thought that the battery shouldn't get as hot with less internel impedance.

Richard
Old 10-11-2006, 06:25 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Just checking in. No one else has one yet? Tim
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

Sounds rational to me. You could ask on the aa thread and see what megabyte, nuero, micro think. Where are you finding batteries? Tim
Old 10-15-2006, 05:53 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

It appears that Hobby People has their shipment of gyrotors. If you want one you might check your local hobby shop. I don't know if radio shack will have them. Tim
Old 10-16-2006, 10:07 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

OK, if you live in the L.A. area, gyrotors are available from hobby people. I checked RS and found nothing about gyrotors. Hobbytron also has them, but I don't know if they have a system of stores. The shipment was scheduled to be here on the 30th. They got it earlier than planned. Tim
Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 AM
peter120

Hi all,

I'd like to know exactly how you made those tail wings, and by that I mean what measurements you used etc. Which design has worked best for you? I'm really happy with my gyrotor as it is, but if its possible to make it even better I just have to give it a try. Also, has anyone found a better battery that fits the gyrotor?

Cheers!

/Peter
Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 AM
chingman

Peeps, ive been having much fun since i got my gyrotor working.. but im afraid it only took 2 days to turn my brand new toy to a sad lookin, worn out piece of styro im a real newbie when it comes to battery toy helis so it can be just me..(crashed too often) But hey, the box says INDOOR/outdoor heli rt? And for all I've been hearing, IT is more of an indoor heli raher than an outdoor.

Problem is Gyrotors just too uncontrollable to play indoors, and too light and weak to play outdoors(wind and stuff).. I play in an 8 x 9 room and the thing crashes like all the time i try flying it. Is this all normal? Or did the developers actually mean covered sports complex when it said "Indoor" heli? At this rate, the helis sure not goin to last the week.. I just wished it had the ability to Hover calmly in the same space without movin around too much.

Maybe i'd try the picoZ, just like somethin i can fly in my bedroom

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.